Scrambler update

Steel and aluminum boatbuilding. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in left-hand column of the Home page, for information about alloys.

Moderator: billy c

Wearl

Re: Scrambler update

Postby Wearl » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:34 am

:D

I have been working on my scrambler the last month. My first boat and weld. Making mistakes but learning has been fun. I am turing it over Sunday.

cbrammer

Postby cbrammer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:29 pm

That's great Wearl!

I just got mine back after over a week at the dealer who installed my motor. I'm hoping to use it for the week. My boat is still a heavey for a 60 jet (40 at the pump) but want to spend some time on it before I start looking at a bigger motor.

Other than being over weight the boat is everything I wanted in a jet sled.

Tight lines!
Charles Brammer

cbrammer

Postby cbrammer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:46 pm

frostop,

The tunnel works great. The intake is still about 3/4 inch below the bottom of the hull. But I think that might have more to do with the motor being set back cause of the jack plate rather than a issue with the tunnel design.

The boat does about 20 mph with me solo with the jet (i'm 270) and the yeti cooler/rowing seat removed. I wish I would have used 1/8" stock on the entire boat and I would most likely gotten to the 26+ mph range I was shooting for using a 60hp with a jet pump. The weight forward on the boat actually is working out great. I'm going to make some small changes to the boat including moving the battery’s to the bow to help keep it running flat as well as getting some weight out of the stern. I'm also going to put the prop back on the motor for the rest of the summer to get more speed out of it while i'm lake fishing.

Hope this feedback helps. Sorry, I could have provided it sooner.
Attachments
Burtlake2.JPG
1st trip out from the dock
BurtLake.JPG
With the wife and kids for 1st time out on the new boat.
Charles Brammer

Wearl

Postby Wearl » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi, did you grind and smooth any of your welds on the side stiffeners? Would like to know, wondering loss of strength etc.

Nice pics. I was going to go with the Merc 60/40 set up sound like its not enough power?

Tank location?

Thanks

Wearl

Postby Wearl » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:17 pm

How does one attaché picture?

cbrammer

Postby cbrammer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:32 pm

I did grind all my welds smooth below the water line except where the tig welding is at the seam from the side plate to the bottom plate. I also took out my transverse frames where they interfered with my shelf but left them in place under the decking. I’m going to try waxing it to see if it will get an extra mph.

A 60/40 outboard isn't enough given the 60" beam --if your planning on finish out the interior like I did. I think you would be wise to look for an 80 hp for this project (see Chart below for HP/weight). I’m still considering trading up. I just hate to waste that much money trading in a new motor and have to order another new jet pump & tiller. I even thought about putting a jet ski motor in it but then I couldn’t clear a plugged up intake without jumping in the river (not a good option in January).

My gas tank is about 3-4' back from the bow (you can see where its located on previous pages of this post).

I’m going to use it a little longer with the jet on before I put the prop back on. Have a good day!
Attachments
Motor.gross weight chart..jpg
Charles Brammer

Wearl

Postby Wearl » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:53 pm

I figured the picture thing as you can see!

july 1st 2012 by wearl2012, on Flickr

Wearl

Postby Wearl » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi.. Thanks for info! I am going to try and keep it light as I can. Going with center console with steering. I have a bit different idea for inside but similar. Boat now is off trailer and turned over for some finish work. I think I will trailer the boat when finished in to boat shop and see what the think about motor etc. nice thing is they have a bunch of new m..motors in stock and ready to bolt on and go! I will have to read all your post.

Are you going to paint your boat?

Take care -

Wayne

Ps I added 6 inches to make it an even 16 ft...

Wearl

Postby Wearl » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:42 pm

mcmbuilder wrote:I used 2"X2"X3/16 angle for my side rails. I actually place mine about 8" from the top of the sides. I ended the rails about 4-5 from the front so I avioded the hard turn as the boat narrowed in the front. I actually drilled holes from the inside on 6" spacing and did the welding from the inside. This made a lot nicer finish on the sides.

I would not use a torch to help with the bending, rather I would try to use clamps and pull the rails into the side of the boat.

Hi did you do continuous holes for six inches then stitched it from inside. Or jus one hole which get you started ? Curious. I like th option of clean look?

cbrammer

Postby cbrammer » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:31 pm

Nice work. That looks sweet!
Charles Brammer

cbrammer

Postby cbrammer » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Wearl,

Yes, I’m going to paint it once I move a few things around. I have had it in the water 5-6 times now and the raw aluminum discolors a lot. I just acid wash the discolored area to bring it back to a bleached white look but I don’t consider that more than a temporary solution.

I had it on a river today and averaged 21 mph with my 60/40 but the tank was running almost empty. I saw a power drifter on the river today running with props and power jack plats. The guy was a fly shop owner and he told me he’s been running like that for 20 years and loves it. I'm considering putting a power jack plate on the boat now if the prop solves the weight factor (it’s a lot cheaper than a new motor).

PS, your Scrambler looks great!
Charles Brammer

Wearl

Postby Wearl » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:04 pm

Cool I look forward to paint. I am considering having local paint shop doing side and transome, depends on $$. Thank you.. Worked on her all day today and shortend the trailer. Practiced aluminum welds then welded round G form on decking! Then 3m the side and bottom. Hope to get neighbors turn it over tomorrow and statr on inside and finishing work. I have only been welding aluminum since fist of June this year and doing ok but Kevin just put up a very helpful blog for me and other newbies to aluminum MIG weld. "I just a guy in garage, going for it and not many resources.. The new blog helped a lot. Nice guy!! Hope you do 't mind me tagging on your board!

Untitled by wearl2012, on Flickr

Wayne
Last edited by Wearl on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcmbuilder

Postby mcmbuilder » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:36 am

Wearl wrote:
mcmbuilder wrote:I used 2"X2"X3/16 angle for my side rails. I actually place mine about 8" from the top of the sides. I ended the rails about 4-5 from the front so I avioded the hard turn as the boat narrowed in the front. I actually drilled holes from the inside on 6" spacing and did the welding from the inside. This made a lot nicer finish on the sides.

I would not use a torch to help with the bending, rather I would try to use clamps and pull the rails into the side of the boat.

Hi did you do continuous holes for six inches then stitched it from inside. Or jus one hole which get you started ? Curious. I like th option of clean look?

I drill 5/8" holes thru the side plating where I want the side rails to be on 6" centers. I then plug weld the holes using big vise grip clamps to keep the angle pulled tight to the side. There is nothing magical about the 5/8" size, it was just the biggest bit I had which had 1/2" shank on it. I did weld the outside of the rails for about 4-5" on each end.

EDITED NOTE: Looking back at the pics of both builds I think we are referring to different items as side rails. On the boats I built I had an angle running down both sides about 8" below the top of the top rails. This served two purposes, one it acted as a spray deflector and two it acted as a rub rail against rocks, stumps, etc. I don't see a similiar part on these builds. Nice jobs both of you for your first build.

Wearl

Postby Wearl » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:45 pm

Hi Mcbuilder,

Thank you for sharing even though I will not be using this methode on my boat. It has been fun learning something new and building my Scrambler.

Wayne

cbrammer

Postby cbrammer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:41 pm

I switched my 60 hp over from jet pump to prop last week and the boat came to life. Now that I have put some time on this boat the way it was meant to be used I decided I want to add a side rail to defect the water (about 1/2 way up the sides) as well as making a few other small adjustments prior to painting it. But I have a concerns about welding on the hull with the motor mounted. Not to mention now that I have a built in fuel tank with gas in it.

I know I need to disconnect the batteries before I weld the side rails on to protect the motor But what type of precautions do I take for the motor, electrical and built in plastic gas tank? How far away from the tank do I need to stay when welding? I've read that the tank should be drained and filled with water. Do I need to drain the tank completely and fill with water if i'm welding on the hull? Are there other options and procedures that I can take rather than fill the gas tank with water?
Charles Brammer

Return to “Metal”