Guy building a 74 ft steel sailboat

Steel and aluminum boatbuilding. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in left-hand column of the Home page, for information about alloys.

Moderator: billy c

Lowka53

Re: Guy building a 74 ft steel sailboat

Post by Lowka53 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:24 pm

ttownshaw wrote:Wow...In my area too...I'm gonna have to go by and see his build. That is crazy huge!!!!
:lol: probably put you to work oh and he lurks on this site :lol:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:25 am

I shot him a note on facebook...hopefully he responds. I really want to see this thing up close.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

jbrandt

Post by jbrandt » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:44 pm

I've been following this guy and I am amazed, impressed, wowed, scared, and ultimately cheer him on! Does anyone know what he does for a living other than build a boat?

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:31 pm

8) If i remember right he does something with computers I looked it up he does Oracle Database Administrator, he wife is a non fiction author.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:13 am

I saw on FB that he works at ONEOK (oil and gas) but not exactly sure what he does there.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

jbrandt

Post by jbrandt » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Interesting. Have you guys watched crash bang boom part one? oh my goodness. those watertight doors are works of art too...

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:54 am

Like the rest of you, I too have been following Doug's and Kay's construction. That couple is an inspiration and I eagerly wait each new video. I look forward to seeing the Seeker moving forward in construction.

I am curious however about the amount of work it will take to remove all that surface rust!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:08 am

8) He has a heavy duty sand blaster built already :lol:
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

jbrandt

Post by jbrandt » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:37 pm

ok you guys need to check out his latest video about building the keels 4 and go to minute 5:36 and hit pause. ive never seen anything like it. he is my hero! I think my wife would definitely not live with me...

aero_dan

Post by aero_dan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:35 pm

Wow, after watching this "interesting" set of builder videos, I can say 2 things. 1, he really likes his project. And 2, it sure makes me thankful I stumbled onto Ken's "shrink-wrap" system before I saw this build.

I have built hunderds of things from fabing & welding with my trusty, cheap, wire-welders. Just never an entire boat... Hope to change that this year with the Goliath plans I got a couple years back. Good luck to him though.
Better, faster, cheaper. Only ever found 2 of the 3! (But still lookin.)
So many boats, ...so little time.

electric tug

Post by electric tug » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:39 pm

Doug s Coming along well with his boat. I love his attitude and build ideas. I have two comments about it.
1. there are builders and sailors. I believe Doug falls into the "builder" category. my question is, what will he do after the build? will tinkering and maintenance be enough for him?

2. he states about 500k will be going into this. he also states that if your going to just sail- buy a boat. But I googled steel boats in that size range and saw some beautiful purpose built steel sailboats that he could have refitted for his intent, which could have been bought for about 125-200k. wouldn't that have been better?

I cheer him on, and I think he will easily succeed. He did take his launch clock down sadly. which was set for three years last time I looked and I thought that to be a little over-optimistic.

and I was sad to hear he did get divorced, and even though they both state the boat didn't have anything to do with it, I cant help but think it WAS the cause since she didn't seem that keen on following the same dream as Doug.

I wish him best of success!