Jet sled framing

Steel and aluminum boatbuilding. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in left-hand column of the Home page, for information about alloys.

Moderator: billy c

WJY

Jet sled framing

Post by WJY » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:26 am

Hi,
I am looking at building a 20 foot Rogue Runner aluminum. This is my first boat build and looking for some expertise from the knowledgable builders on this site.

First concerning transverse frames and longitudinal stiffeners. I have read the plating does not get welded to the transverse members, only the longitudinals. How "proud" of the transverse framing should the hull plating be? Touching, 1/16, 1/8? Is the hull plating continuously welded to each longitudinal, or do tacks each 4 inches do the job?

Secondly, I am thinking about doing away with the motorwell and hanging a ~350 lbs honda jetdrive outbaord directly on the transom... does the motorwell contribute to the strength of the transom, or can I safely eliminate this feature.

Finally, has anyone built an aluminum rogue runner? I would love to see pics of the build. I am a very visual learner and a picture says 10,000 words.

Thanks all for your help,
Willie

crowsridge

Re: Jet sled framing

Post by crowsridge » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:42 pm

Hi Willie,

Any progress on your boat? I have had the Rogue Runner plans for three years now. I have the frames cut out of mahogany, but have decided I want to build it in aluminum instead. Love to see your progress!

Chris

North

Re: Jet sled framing

Post by North » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:11 pm

It doesn't seem this metal sections gets too many view / posts, but t a nswer your question - if you look a bout 4 posts below this one, 19.5 ft Rogue Runner - he did indeed build one and did a nice job! Lots of pics!