19.5 foot Rogue Runner

Steel and aluminum boatbuilding. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in left-hand column of the Home page, for information about alloys.

Moderator: billy c

WJY

19.5 foot Rogue Runner

Post by WJY »

I am well underway with framing my boat. Things are going fairly well for a first time builder- learning lots and have yet to make any major mistakes (that I'm aware of!) I have more longitudinals to place, chine bars to insert, and a transom to build up, but the boat is taking shape. Incredibly satisfying project, so far. I certainly learned a lot from seeing other people's builds, so I will try do the same and keep photos coming as I progress.

Willie
Attachments
Frames layed out with half the longitudinals welded into position.
Frames layed out with half the longitudinals welded into position.

jprice

Re: 19.5 foot Rogue Runner

Post by jprice »

Looking good!

I'm always impressed by these metal builds. I'd like to try a build in metal someday. No mixing up epoxy, or dealing with drips/runs, or waiting for it to cure.
Of course, my welding skills are atrocious. :shock: So it's probably only a good idea in my head. :lol:

WJY

Post by WJY »

Framing and fairing complete, transom on, and tunnel installed too. Ready for the big sheets to arrive now.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

mcmbuilder

Post by mcmbuilder »

Looking good so far........ Just a question about design. I know boats are often designed for the area and waterway they will be operating in, but I have never understood the blunt type many of the "sled" style boats employ. WHat is the purpose of the design. I have thought about building a similiar style boat but continue with lines of the bottom and bring it up to a complete V.
I know in the bays and larger open water ways the V will cut the waves better giving a smoother and dries ride most times.

Hope you will continue to keep the pics coming as you progress with the build.

WJY

Post by WJY »

Good question about design... Two reasons come to mind. The first would be that on a vessel operated primarily on rivers, where (generally) large swell and waves are not a concern, is that the square end helps maximize interior room. Without the need to cut large waves, a blunt nose opens up the bow for more gear, casting space, moose meat, etc... Many jet boats marketed for whitewater have a pointed bow.

The second reason I can think of is that the square form is easier to shape than a point where all the lines meet. Less bending, and fewer lines converging into the same point to hide slight errors and unfairness. The cheaper production built sleds I have seen are mostly all square up front, which I believe is to speed production and lower costs.

All this, of course, is just speculation. I'll keep posting pics as I go.

Willie

WJY

Post by WJY »

The plating all went on well and I've welded the chine and transom. If I flipped it over and dropped it in some water it would float, so I've officially now built a boat! (I know I'm still far away from complete, but at least it's now a boat).

A few design changes: tunnel added to hull- 14 inches wide, 20 inches long, 2.5 inches deep. Original plans had 2 degree deadrise, I sloped it a bit more to 4 degrees. Added extra aft transverse frame to extend to 19 feet. The notching of flat bar into frames was also a change from original design, and it sure helped align longitudinals.

I ordered a 6x20 foot sheet if 3/16 for the bottom which worked out great. In the aft 11 feet of constant deadrise I scored the keel line 1/16 on the inside of hull so it would bend along that line. For the remaining 8 feet to bow I cut full depth because the curves overlapped and I removed some material. I am pretty happy that my bottom is one piece.

I am going to add some full length angles to keel, chine, and the midpoint between so the boat isn't so slippery while turning. Some more cleanup then it's time to roll her.

Luckily (or sadly?) for me we have been still getting freezing temperatures every night and we are far away from having any open water to test it in soon, which certainly helps me not rush the build. Life in the Yukon has perks, but this winter has definitely been dragging on.

Willie
Attachments
image.jpg

mcmbuilder

Post by mcmbuilder »

Looking good. If you have not done so, I would reccommend you weld up the scored length. Even though the boat has plenty of tranverse and longitudial members the very bottom is going to be a high stress point. With a 1/16" of material taken out you have a place a crack can get started and propogate out. Not likely to happen, but prevention now will save an aggravating repair later. From here on out is when the appearance of you boat will take final shape. Some of the anlges of boxes and decks can cause the boat to really look "homemade". I would suggest either getting some cheap wood paneling or real stiff cardboard and get your shapes and angles right then transfer it to you aluminum to get better fits.

Here is the panhandle of Fl we are enjoying upper 70s to mid 80s temp, of course the 95-100 days with humidity thick enough to cut it is not far behind. However I had much rather sweat in the summer than have to put up with the bone numbing cold. Went diving yesterday and the water temps at the surface was 75,,,,,, at 100' it was still in the 60s, which we consider cold.

WJY

Post by WJY »

I flipped the hull today. I added 1" angle over the chines, then I decided to weld out the longitudinal stiffners prior to adding any more material to the underside. Once the plating is welded out I will turn it over again, then add some...

Originally I planned on adding 5 full lengths of 1" angle (to form a V) to the hull bottom to aid in cornering, however I have heard that angle is a pain in rocks and really grippy beaching. UHMW is another popular bottom material, however I am hesitant to drill 100+ holes in the hull to attach this material, and I don't want to add an additional 250 lbs of plastic. I was considering splitting 20 foot lengths 1.25 inch sch 80 pipe, then welding these to the bottom with the thought that they would aid in cornering and their round edges would not bind as much as angles. I am looking for some input from the building community on this one... Any suggestions, photos out there? What works well, what should I avoid?

Thanks,

Willie
Attachments
image.jpg

WJY

Post by WJY »

So I skipped a couple weeks of posting, and in a nutshell things went pretty good. Trailer is built, acid wash done, engine mounted, floor is in, and console built. I am just waiting for my steering controls to arrive, then getting ready for the inaugural launch!

Willie
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

slug

Post by slug »

Looking really good Willie, tho on my site everything's upside down ( Won't float that way :lol: )

Doug

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

He's Australian. :wink:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Winger Ed.

Post by Winger Ed. »

Everything, including the lakes and rivers being upside down in Australia is workable.
I'm glad they don't just fall off into outer Space.
Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
I doubt we shall ever see their likes again.

Unknown US Coast Guard station Commander.
Upper US East Coast. Circca 1920.

WJY

Post by WJY »

For reasons I cannot figure out the thumbnails are upside down, yet the full size images come in properly oriented. I guess it's an international website so it must cater to those on the underside of the planet as well!

I have been waiting on back ordered steering cables, otherwise she's ready to launch. Soon, I hope... Our northern summers are only so long.

Willie

jprice

Post by jprice »

for me they're both upside down... but they still look good. :D

fredt

Post by fredt »

Not only are you photos upside down, bet your toilets even flush backwards down under :D

Or do ours??????

Return to “Metal”