Aluminum Texas Scooter Build

Steel and aluminum boatbuilding. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in left-hand column of the Home page, for information about alloys.

Moderator: billy c

twaite

Aluminum Texas Scooter Build

Postby twaite » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:49 am

Hello to all,

I am currently inquiring about the Texas Scooter plans, not that there is anything wrong with wood lam it's just that it don't agree with oyster reefs if you know what I mean. I live in LA and fish a lot of back waters and bayous. I would like any comments you might have before beginning the build.

I have a couple questions as well for the planning process.

1. Is 5052 suitable if primed and painted?
2. Are all the frames as if built from wood necessary?
3. What gauge would you suggest for bottom and sides?

I have been fabricating and welding for over 10 years but have never fabricated a boat so I figured I better talk with the experts first.
Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions. I would like to begin the build as soon as possible as I boatless at the moment.

Capt. Travis
Capt. Travis

John B

Re: Aluminum Texas Scooter Build

Postby John B » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:47 am

twaite wrote:Hello to all,

I am currently inquiring about the Texas Scooter plans, not that there is anything wrong with wood lam it's just that it don't agree with oyster reefs if you know what I mean. I live in LA and fish a lot of back waters and bayous. I would like any comments you might have before beginning the build.

I have a couple questions as well for the planning process.

1. Is 5052 suitable if primed and painted?
2. Are all the frames as if built from wood necessary?
3. What gauge would you suggest for bottom and sides?

I have been fabricating and welding for over 10 years but have never fabricated a boat so I figured I better talk with the experts first.
Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions. I would like to begin the build as soon as possible as I boatless at the moment.

Capt. Travis

Travis,

Our Scooter is designed to be built in sheet plywood; while it is possible to build it in aluminum we don't supply any details on how to convert it to an aluminum build (which I suppose is why you're asking questions here on the Forum).

As a general rule, aluminum boats are NOT stronger than sheet plywood boats, and we believe it could be detrimental in terms of safety, stability and performance of the boat if you were to eliminate any of the frames as designed by our licensed Marine Architect.

So we would empahtically say yes, all the frames as shown in your copy of the plans and patterns definitely are necessary. We don't suggest you eliminate any of the frames.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting as to what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the result of the vote.

twaite

Re: Aluminum Texas Scooter Build

Postby twaite » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:10 pm

John,

Thank you for the information, I figured as much but just wanted to make sure before ordering materials. any recommendations on material for bracing out of aluminum.

Was thinking about using 1/8 for bottom and sides and deck and 1/4 1 1/2 flat for frames.

Last bumped by twaite on Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:10 pm.
Capt. Travis

Return to “Metal”