Notes on Metal Boat Building Methods

Steel and aluminum boatbuilding. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in left-hand column of the Home page, for information about alloys.

Moderator: billy c

niko

Re: Notes on Metal Boat Building Methods

Post by niko » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:24 pm

to add my idea to the subject of floating chambers:
I am planning to put plastic bottles into the floor and the aluminium seats through openings after all the welding has taken place. thought of it as the most "eficient" way to not have to seal all chambers and not being stuck with heaps of wet foam if I will get a leak to repair.
just an idea but till nobody tells me I am a fool and gives me a reason I will stick to the plan.

by the way. thank you Kevin for all your help on my project in panama.
due to very limited time I had to get an fellow Austrian welder into the project who has done a few boats already and has a cnc-cutter. so the project is underway but not so much under my influence. we couldn't wait another year to start business, but as soon as I get some spare time I will start my model and will try to get a little experience myself, cause I really like metalwork. (i will ad a few pictures of the project in the next days)
one thing I really haven't understood so far is making fair chine strakes. its quite complicated

Kevin Morin

Re: Notes on Metal Boat Building Methods

Post by Kevin Morin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:51 am

niko, I fully understand the constraints of time and building boats! I used to build full time - for years and so I have had to get a few fishing boats ready for the commercial seasons and understand that your business needs take precedence over a do-it-yourself build!

Good luck with the resulting boat. Chine strakes are just like any other hull curve- I think I've gone over, in detail, (my friend, Yofish, thinks I go into too much detail??) to try and illustrate how to obtain fair curves from a series of points or take-off points if you're using an existing build as the guide or "fit-too" shape.

Anyway, when you get the time: the Forum enjoys images of builds, and more so when you can provide a short text explanation of the view of that aspect of the build's progress to help orient the viewers' understanding of the images.

Glad to be of any help that I can, looking forward to image posts of your boat as it goes together.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
Kevin Morin