Aluminum Boat Cabins

Steel and aluminum boatbuilding. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in left-hand column of the Home page, for information about alloys.

Moderator: billy c

Kevin Morin

Re: Aluminum Boat Cabins

Postby Kevin Morin » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:46 pm

Yofish, that standing seam roofing take off solves some really big shape and forming issues for skiff (and larger boats') cabin tops that I hadn't "seen" until re-reading this thread.

One of the shapes that is most attractive on a skiff cabin - regardless of size- is the "whale back" - or compound curved cabin top. However that shape requires 'gores' or pieces of sheet that are trimmed out of square so they result in a camber -side to side on the top; AND a fore and aft curve as viewed from the side.

A sheet can be formed to a cylinder, cone or flat but not a compound curve unless it is stretched- shrunk or otherwise "deformed" from its originally uniform flat surface. If a skiff cabin were formed with an English Wheel it could probably be "whale backed" into a compound curve- but the labor and tooling sure would make it a big cost in time and effort.

One thing that is always attractive about small boats- especially in the wooden plank pulling boats like the Whitehall, for example, is their wine glass stern, and round bilges combined with a little compound curvature of their bow sections. These boats are made from flat planks which are 'skewed' to one another- that is each few inches of hull is a plank that is both curved and slightly twisted, only meeting the next plank at a slight overlap.

I think a series of U shaped 'planks' of aluminum, press braked into 10-12" wide pieces would allow a skiff cabin top to be formed into compound curvature by the standing seam joint you show? Each plank would only have a very slight fore and aft 'bow' (curvature in Profile View) but.... the standing seam between adjacent 'planks' or panels would allow that bow to open or close- slightly bend the corners of their press formed short vertical legs- in and out? This would allow the one curvature (fore and aft) while their arrangement in cross section over the rolled rectangular tube would provide the side to side (Body Section) curvature.

I haven't tried it but it seems that these panels would allow for a very nicely compound or whale back shape on a cabin top?

Are the tubes you label as clips full length? seems like they would need to be in order to seal the skip welded standing seam between 'planks'?

Thanks for the post- interesting idea on this design element- I've used almost exclusively cylindrical shapes- side to side curves in all my past cabins - but they'd all look better with a compound shape- I think this method would provide that?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai
Kevin Morin

North

Postby North » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:14 pm

Yofish - I am sure that (as an amateur, first time builder..) I would be happy and content with any of the boats or cabin tops which you have still been less than happy with...

I will ask a dumb question - is what you are describing in your drawing similar to what Kevin did for the cabin side's (about halfway down page 1) - using preformed/ pre-bent panels except that in the roof the weld edge would be hid by tubing?
If so, do I understand correctly that the main reason for doing this would be to add curve or shape without having to do long welds (heat/ distortion) involved in welding two or more flat pieces together together?

Do either of you have any pics of larger cabin tops/ roofs made from a single flat sheet/ panel (with reinforcements welded below to retain shape)?
Do they really look that bad?? and therefore I should really consider using Yofish's method perhaps with 2 or 4 ???? panels to achieve a decent shape and look??? With 4 panels you would then see 3 pipes running fore/aft concealing the weld seams.
Kevin - you mentioned potentially using "planks" of aluminum of say 12" wide - I am just concerned that having 6 pipes running fore/aft may look a bit busy on my top - could I get away with wider planks / less pipe/joints of would the transitions be too harsh?

In the pic of the "Wilkes Workboat" - not sure if Kevin would have built this one.. if not, could either of you comment on the number of panels / reinforcing tube underneath, etc which would perhaps be used to create a roof that size?

please see attached pic of a sample cabin roof, which I would be ecstatic with.... which looks like a single sheet on top of tub crossmembers.
Attachments
sample cabin top.jpg

Kevin Morin

Postby Kevin Morin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:23 am

North,
North wrote:I will ask a dumb question - is what you are describing in your drawing similar to what Kevin did for the cabin side's (about halfway down page 1) - using preformed/ pre-bent panels except that in the roof the weld edge would be hid by tubing?

yes, that is essentially what is being shown- but... the orientation is with legs up not 'inside' the cabin. Yofish's reason to consider this is to avoid full length welds in thin material. Unless you consistently make a weld cross section MAX section = 1.1 or 1.15 section of the parent material (thinner metal begets are smaller weld) then.... the resulting contraction usually makes a pretty unsightly set of waves in the finished materials. BUTT welds in two adjacent sheets of 1/8" or thinner material that are 8-10' long (!! read: cabin top length wise/fore and aft) will almost assuredly result in some real distortion.

By orienting the materials' welds on edges that are pressed into the various panels- the distortion is limited to the leg on which the welds are located-not to the main sheet. I suggest the 'pizza pan' cabin building blocks for a very similar reason Yofish suggests the 'standing seam' solution for a cabin top.

It is important to note: sheets are regularly available in most LMS 6' wide in both 12' and 20' lengths. So... if your cabin top was only 6' or less side to side- this entire discussion can be solved by the method in the picture you posted. That cabin top is a cylindrical development- not compound. The cabin top beams are transverse- and they're reasonably rolled uniformly- so they create a surface with only one direction of curvature.

IF>>>> you built one of these and it was too wide for the material- let's say 7' wide and you could only get 6' wide sheets- THEN: you could orient the weld seam over one of the rolled, curved beams and make that butt weld seam with a full back up and located on one of the beams. This would result in a decent seam, with little distortion if welded using a collar tie (temporarily side to side at ends of the beam) and short welds (8" or less) staggered/stitched onto the transverse weld seam orientation.

North, the panels Yofish is suggesting could be done with 2- each 3'6" wide. So a single seam down the centerline of the cabin (on top) would be uncluttered and allow a stitched seam to be covered with slit tube/pipe. THEN you'd have to separate my remarks - I was slightly changing the subject to compound shapes. That is where the multiple panel approach (I compared that idea to wooden plank boats' getting compound shapes from flat wood planks) comes in. Using Yofish's idea; then a more complex cabin to shape could be achieved with flat material bending in two directions in smaller individual pieces- so instead of 'tearing' a sheet- or EWheeling as plastic deformation into the sheet; the shape could be obtained by using the 'planks' relative shift from one another.

not sure about reference to Wilkes Workboat?? link?

if you're happy with a single piece top cylindrical shape? great- then my remarks (on a slight derivative idea; compound curvature) are not applicable to your project.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
Kevin Morin

North

Postby North » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:29 pm

thanks for the great explanations, as always Kevin!
I will not know dimensions until the late fall, but will take all of this into consideration at that time.
The "Wilkes worked" boat was a pic on page 1 of this thread.

Yofish

Postby Yofish » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:20 pm

Lordy. I apologise for not paying attention here but I've been busy with sooo many things. It's getting towards fall here in AK and I'm rather behind where I want to be. Anyway, once again, Kevin explained ME better than ME can...

I WILL add some later.

Kevin Morin

Postby Kevin Morin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:42 pm

North, the Hewescraft named "Wilkes Worked" has a standard single curve (cylindrical) top panel as near as I know about all Hewes boats?
Their factory is near Puget Sound somewhere so they have access to 8' x 30' sheets (any all other sizes!) in almost any alloy or thickness. So I doubt their factory produced boats have top weld seam issues due to supply?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
Kevin Morin

North

Postby North » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:26 pm

I would certainly appreciate the advice and help of Kevin and Yofish, once i begin to work on it in the late fall.

A couple of notes:
- i don't really need a large, enclosed deck at the bow as no v-berth needed for sleeping. I would like to incorporate perhaps a sit down head into the cabin / console area.
-as the boat is 25' long, 8 ft beam, i don't think i would have quite enough space (both space inside and to walk around) if i had a walk around /pilot house type cabin
- i am thinking of something like the pic attached, where the cabin walls run just to the gunwhales and not all the way to the floor, as required with a walk around cabin. I think this will give more space and save weights as walls are only needed from the sheer up.
- i would like to make a walk through cabin where the front middle window or a side window is basically attached as a sort of hinged man-door which can be opened to walk through the cabin and get to the bow - set the anchor, lines, etc.
I will add a one or two step raised floor at the bow so you have about knee deep "protection" as you are up there = about the same as in the stern.
- if i build something like the attached pic, i would like to incorporate larger windows / lexan and make them able to slide out completely - in tracks to be stored on bored in fair weather.
Attachments
nice cabin3.jpg
nice cabin2.jpg
nice cabin.jpg

North

Postby North » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:26 pm

1 more pic
Attachments
nice smaller cabin.jpg

Return to “Metal”