Bandido idea?

Steel and aluminum boatbuilding. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in left-hand column of the Home page, for information about alloys.

Moderator: billy c

Vern

Bandido idea?

Post by Vern » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:29 am

I posted this in the wrong place earlier so I'm correcting my mistake,lol.
I'm thinking of building a bandido in steel but I don't know if this is feasible. What do all of you think?

Kevin Morin

Re: Bandido idea?

Post by Kevin Morin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:23 am

Vern, Bandido looks like a bikini freighter, go fast, offshore racing hull! Speed being the main design priority- steel about the heaviest material of any boat building material seems to be in conflict with that design's primary goal in life- top speed.

The topsides forward look like they may have some flare/flair as opposed to flam (compound curvature) so that implies stretch forming steel which is not for the faint of heart or new one-off builder in my experience? Welding a steel boat comes in three categories as concerns the process of welding. Thin (less than 1/8" thick), medium thick (1/8" to 1/4") and heavy >1/4" thickness. Welding the latter two is ten times as easy as the first.

If you decided to build this deep V speed focused hull in steel- thinner metal would be easier to push faster with less horsepower. But the welding would be the hardest/most challenging due to the thinness of the materials.

For these two (main) reasons, I'd leave this design to wood, glass or if you're going to build in metal, I'd recommend that you consider welded aluminum before welded steel. For the same strength aluminum is 1/2 the weight of steel, and cutting fitting, shaping are all easier than with steel. Welding- well that follows the same rules of complexity that steel does. But an aluminum hull would at least be able to sit at or near the design waterline compared to the steel hull, which would sit deeper in the water than the boat is designed- IMO.

I consider the idea possible but not realistically feasible, due to #1 the boat's design goals (speed) #2 welding of thin steel (level of difficulty) & #3 all up displacement of final boat in steel (being too great) to meet the design's purpose. #4 painting and coating to the required levels inside that hull's forward 1/2 LOA would be a serious challenge!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
Kevin Morin

Kevin Morin

Re: Bandido idea?

Post by Kevin Morin » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:52 pm

Vern ! I didn't mean to stop you from posting!!! If you have the ability to build Bandido in metal- what about considering aluminum?

[FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm an unofficial Glen-L Forum Cheerleader for welded aluminum.]

Welding is welding, aluminum is a bit faster and may take a few more hours of practice to get ready to build a Bandido but.... it sure would be a fine offshore speedster when you were done! Of course, wood/epoxy or C-flex glass plank and a couple other methods may result in a nice boat too.

Hope, my post doesn't slow down your ideas about building in metal?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
Kevin Morin