Cutting in cabin windows?

Steel and aluminum boatbuilding. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in left-hand column of the Home page, for information about alloys.

Moderator: billy c

Dillon

Cutting in cabin windows?

Postby Dillon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:52 pm

1st time boat builder. I was hoping that someone can help me with cutting out my windows. My cabin is built with 3/16 aluminum.

Do I just cut my holes then have to take it to a glass shop and have them made to fit. Or is there a cheaper way to get premade windows then cut the hole to size.

Please help

Kevin Morin

Re: Cutting in cabin windows?

Postby Kevin Morin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:52 am

Dillion,
most builders have already contacted their local window vendors if they're planning to buy prefab aluminum extrusion window!! They've already seen this milestone coming - and knowing they'd have to cross that bar when it got in front of them- they've asked

What are the minimum radius corners that can be used to layout the windows? Different vendors use different proprietary extrusions but they all KNOW the minimum radius of the cut out! So, ask the vendor before you do the layout

Next, layout the four straight lines for each window on the cabin sides. These will meet in single point intersections and then you'd use the "coffee can" (many vendors used a 5"Dia. coffee can as the builders' guide) to layout the windows corners.

Now take the radius of the mfg's radius and touch the circle to the to side lines - that is: put the circle template tangent to the two sides you'd like to radius for the window. A given radius circle (sanded well and fair- or use the coffee can if the mfg reports the 5" radius works) will touch the two lines and allow you to line off/mark/scribe the radius between the two sides of the window.

When cut, and dressed (in aluminum) with a Vixen file; put heavy paper on the outside and mark the inside and roll up the patterns and send them to the window vendor.

They will make the windows to fit.

If you have more questions, please provide images of your build. Hope this summary is not to brief to be helpful?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
Kevin Morin

Dillon

Postby Dillon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:04 am

Thanks Kevin for all you info. The 5" radius info helps a lot. I also live in the north Kenai Area. Do you recommend a local glass shop in this area that I can talk to before I do my layout and start cutting.
Thanks Dillon

Kevin Morin

Postby Kevin Morin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:38 am

Dillon, I can't recommend one glass shop over another- been a too long since I've worked with anyone to do cabin finish. Call a few in the book and ask for square foot prices of safety glass cut to patterns?

If you use the the rubber extrusion to fit between the glass and aluminum plate cabin sides then you can cut out the openings and make patterns for the glass cuts by holding paper on a pc of plywood or sheet outside the window- draw to the inside and make sure the glass cutter knows to take and allowance for whatever style of rubber you'll be using. Some rubber extrusion types actually hold the glass outside the metal and others line up the glass and metal and each has to be cut to size differently.

As to the radius- I think the rubber used to work fine with a 5"dia- not sure whether I said dia or radius above? Some

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
Kevin Morin

Return to “Metal”