Stretching out the beam?

Steel and aluminum boatbuilding. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in left-hand column of the Home page, for information about alloys.

Moderator: billy c

Bill Edmundson

Re: Stretching out the beam?

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:30 pm

I started teaching myself CAD in about 1992. The team I worked with was the first in the SE USA to do an entire power plant in 3D. That is the only way they will do it now.

That said, there is no substitute for the human eye. The computer can't say that that just doesn't look right. As you work through your boat, you will learn to see. You'll be amazed how small a difference you can see.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Steven r

Re: Stretching out the beam?

Postby Steven r » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:11 am

Bill,
I agree totally with what you say, if you are working on the body of hand made car you make it fit. Bonnets you may need to be cut down, doors you may lead load the wings etc worked on many! Flaring by eye and feel is key. Much easer with wood boat and epoxy to get out of trouble. But it would be nice to see it on screen before you start, and CNC would be nice but if one can upscale from PDF to paper then cut by hand then that what one will have to do!
Regards Steve.

Return to “Metal”