Substituting steel for plywood in the Union Jack

Steel and aluminum boatbuilding. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in left-hand column of the Home page, for information about alloys.

Moderator: billy c

phoenix-epoch

Substituting steel for plywood in the Union Jack

Post by phoenix-epoch »

I want an all steel Union Jack. I have reviewed the study plans and want to modify the boat to be all steel. As well as make the engine area large enough for a 3-71 detroit diesel engine with a paragon HJ gear box. I want to build a vessel that will be very commercial and low maintenance.
Appears to me the epoxy coated 14 ga steel is about the same weight as fiberglased 3/4" plywood so weight addition would be minimal.
I will consider the 1600# engine to be ballast.
Any ideas out there?

p35bhp09

I was wondering the same thing

Post by p35bhp09 »

I just purchased my set of study plans for the Union Jack and I also want to build a steel superstructure. I know this isn't an answer to the question but I figured that if their are 2 people asking the same question it will increase our chances of getting an answer!

KnottyBuoyz

Post by KnottyBuoyz »

I spotted this one in our marina last week in aluminum.

http://glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3934

Should be easily doable in steel. Don't know about modifying for larger engine though. You going to use it as a tug?
Yours Aye!
Rick

bob may

Post by bob may »

Hi, the only problem I can see is welding 14 swg without distortion. The minimum welding thickness recomended is 10 swg. I am in the process of building the Union Jack, lots of things to think about. I am having a problem getting a prop tube to take 1.5 inch shaft. I have tube for 1.25 inch but it looks small.

phoenix-epoch

prop-tube

Post by phoenix-epoch »

I would think that a standard section of schedule 80 pipe of the correct diameter would be fine. Schedule 80 is very thick wall so it can be welded without distortion. It is not seamless so it will require a trip to the lathe to cleanup the inside before installation.
I am in the US.

bob may

Post by bob may »

Been away, sorry for not replying sooner. I live Cyprus and getting stuff here is a real challenge. I have tried most of the Metal suppliers, but I'm off to another next week, so fingers crossed. There is no heavy indrustry here, so some things are limited.

buffaloaz

34' union jack

Post by buffaloaz »

I have A 34' union jack made by seahorse marine if you have questions about how they built it contact me[/img]

Return to “Metal”