chine bars

Steel and aluminum boatbuilding. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in left-hand column of the Home page, for information about alloys.

Moderator: billy c

WJY

Re: chine bars

Postby WJY » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:05 am

[/quote]
...so I'm pretty sure they're not needed.

But then neither are transverse frames needed in welded aluminum boats, after all none of the fulltime large scale builders rely on transverse framing- they use longitudinal framing more extensively. But frames do provide a good method for the new or first time builder to build a controlled shape and end up with a nice fair boat their first time.

[/quote]

Hi, new here and thinking about building an 20' Rogue Runner aluminum. First time builder, too. Based on this quote from a very experienced builder, can I save a bunch of money by lightening the 1/4 inch transverse frames called for? Have others used substitutions for the transverse framing members? Thanks,

Willie

Kevin Morin

Framing Jet Sleds

Postby Kevin Morin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:01 am

Willie, if you're a first time builder and have no past design work to rely on making framing decisions, I'd suggest you follow whatever plans package you're using. The problem is that while any given frame member can be substituted with some other means of stiffening a welded hull; there is a huge amount of information to digest to make those decisions wisely.

In fact, given the river boat's attendance to "run on rocks" I'd even add chine covers- or 6061 x 1/4" or even 3/8" (unequal leg) angle extrusion OVER the outside of the chines so that edge had a heavier thickness to impact rocks.

As to longs versus transverse, unless you're able to post the final framing plan you propose, there's not very much anyone can do to remark about that plan being adequate for the job. We can't say, and I'm not, that you can skip the x-verse frames and forget them. Any change in framing, from your plans package, should be done with enough experience at the design level or the shop floor level to insure the boat remains strong enough for its use.

If you have a building partner that has done a dozen or so boats, or will be 'coached' by someone with experience to help make these change decisions, that's one thing. To take a remark on the net as a applicable to your boat without detailed review is something completely different!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kevin Morin

Return to “Metal”