Union Jack Accomodations on a Extended Fred Murphy?

Steel and aluminum boatbuilding. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in left-hand column of the Home page, for information about alloys.

Moderator: billy c

propellanttech

Union Jack Accomodations on a Extended Fred Murphy?

Post by propellanttech »

Ok....so I have been studying the plans for a few days.....and I would love to build a steel hull. I know I will start loving it, but will definitely hate building by the time I get through.

Would it be possible to outfit a Extended Fred Murphy close to the Union Jack. I know the Union jack appears to be a deeper hull, and it definitely designed for more open water cruising.

I like the methods of building used by the tugs, and I'm very rarely in a hurry. I would like to have a some what economical cruiser.

Opinions??

James L

electric tug

Re: Union Jack Accomodations on a Extended Fred Murphy?

Post by electric tug »

hi there- i bought plans for a fred murphy. my reasoning for the fred murphy over the union jack(which btw i owned plans for some time back) is the seaworthiness of the hull for one reason. The second was the power to weight ratio of the motor to hull which is also economical. the third and not least was...i wanted a big living area -so what i plan on doing is building a "mother ship" that is a good sized barge type houseboat to push with the fred murphy. this gives you the fun of using what the FM was designed for and way more area to live in. and when you want to take a side trip, you just disconnect the hull from the barge and drop anchor. inside the barge hotel, even a 24 footer, you have way more space and luxury than adding an addition to ther FM and as well you have the Jack beat hands down too for space!

of course you can tow a barge across an ocean if it is shakled properly with a bit of experience. designed right with low windage etc. and is highly seaworthy as long as you use common sense and dont tow it into a hurricane.

you can add range by extra fuel tanks. one way is using a discarded but still usable household oil tank. i think they are about 200 gallons and simply mount that on the deck directly behind the pilothouse. gravity feed it to the engines fuel pumps. (Paint it black first)

the f.M. hull is a true tug hull and will easily push a barge type living space(or tow) and it is designed with a plumb bow and a counterstern for that reason(the counterstern allows for better rope handling). the union jack is just a trawler and less versatile. although the Jack has -for a single hull , good accomodations. I think adding more accomodations to the tug will ruin the stability and in my opinion make it ugly as sin. I DO NOT like the new addition to the original fred murphys wheelhouse and i would bet she rolls more and has the stability off and uses much more fuel due to the windage. I plan on actually shortening the wheelhouse a couple feet, to fit in a tow bit at just aft of amidships where the fulcrum of tow is best located. also consider the FM is going to be wet. like all tugs the hull has scuppers so the deck in a following sea will be wet. the JACK likely wont unless your really not operating her properly in the troughs. The beauty of the FM is- you r closer to the elements, you are more maneuverable, and you get a real tug yacht!

propellanttech

Post by propellanttech »

electric tug wrote:hi there- i bought plans for a fred murphy. my reasoning for the fred murphy over the union jack(which btw i owned plans for some time back) is the seaworthiness of the hull for one reason. The second was the power to weight ratio of the motor to hull which is also economical. the third and not least was...i wanted a big living area -so what i plan on doing is building a "mother ship" that is a good sized barge type houseboat to push with the fred murphy. this gives you the fun of using what the FM was designed for and way more area to live in. and when you want to take a side trip, you just disconnect the hull from the barge and drop anchor. inside the barge hotel, even a 24 footer, you have way more space and luxury than adding an addition to ther FM and as well you have the Jack beat hands down too for space!

of course you can tow a barge across an ocean if it is shakled properly with a bit of experience. designed right with low windage etc. and is highly seaworthy as long as you use common sense and dont tow it into a hurricane.

you can add range by extra fuel tanks. one way is using a discarded but still usable household oil tank. i think they are about 200 gallons and simply mount that on the deck directly behind the pilothouse. gravity feed it to the engines fuel pumps. (Paint it black first)

the f.M. hull is a true tug hull and will easily push a barge type living space(or tow) and it is designed with a plumb bow and a counterstern for that reason(the counterstern allows for better rope handling). the union jack is just a trawler and less versatile. although the Jack has -for a single hull , good accomodations. I think adding more accomodations to the tug will ruin the stability and in my opinion make it ugly as sin. I DO NOT like the new addition to the original fred murphys wheelhouse and i would bet she rolls more and has the stability off and uses much more fuel due to the windage. I plan on actually shortening the wheelhouse a couple feet, to fit in a tow bit at just aft of amidships where the fulcrum of tow is best located. also consider the FM is going to be wet. like all tugs the hull has scuppers so the deck in a following sea will be wet. the JACK likely wont unless your really not operating her properly in the troughs. The beauty of the FM is- you r closer to the elements, you are more maneuverable, and you get a real tug yacht!
I also had that idea, but I was concerned with the legality of towing a living space around. It would be a economical way to go, for you wouldn't have to haul the living space all the time.

James L

electric tug

Post by electric tug »

exactly James!...that gives us better fuel economy AND space...way more practical. i lived on three twenty four ft houseboats(one 10ft beam the others 12ft) with 16ft cabins,,,huge space for a boat and inexpensive to build. built my first barge hull in wood for under 1000.00 never leaked, ;eft it in the ice year round never hurt it at all..drafted about 4 inches loaded too!

let me know how it works out and what you decide. im very curious.

btw...i dont know why my post was double posted...sorry about that

Doug

electric tug

Post by electric tug »

sorry one other thing--there shouldnt be any legal issues, its a boat! in fact it is a non powered boat like a raft or canoe- so the rules dont apply to it..at least it didnt here..and i believe the US has similar or identical rules of the road. some municipalities have tried to oust houseboaters and failed...they cant define the vessel to implement laws to regulate them...no one owns the water...hence commercial vessels can do what they want as far as anchoring etc. dont be afraid of legalities unless you r on a very small lake...unless you r blocking a navigable waterway-its all good to go.
just make sure it has lights and proper gear as a boat would.

Return to “Metal”