Jambalaya Recipe

What a GREAT time was had by all who attended! Note that this forum will be archived under "Past Gatherings" soon....

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

BayouBengal

Jambalaya Recipe

Post by BayouBengal » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:43 pm

I was going to post this in "Gathering Recipes" section, but it is locked.

A few people at the Gathering requested my Jambalaya recipe. Jambalaya is a heavily seasoned rice and meat dish very common in South Louisiana. So common in fact that if traveling through South Louisiana, you’ll probably see Jambalaya shops which are small restaurants that only or primarily serve Jambalaya and its common side dishes which are white beans, collard greens, and white bread (there’s at least 10 jambalaya shops in my hometown of Baton Rouge).

Ingredients
2 pounds of cooked meat – a combination of chicken, sausage, and pork. Preferably, the meat should be smoked (but don't let this stop you from making a batch). More often than not, when making Jambalaya at home I just use chicken and sausage because I generally don’t have any cooked pork on hand. For the chicken, buy an already cooked rotisserie chicken from your local grocery and just pull the meat from it into bite size pieces. For the sausage, use smoked pork sausage and cut into small slices or pieces. If you have some frozen pork tenderloin or pork chops, they make an excellent addition. I used some smoked pulled pork in the jambalaya that I served at the Gathering.
1 chopped bell pepper
2 chopped onions
2 ribs chopped celery
5 cloves of chopped or crushed garlic
2 cups chicken broth
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can French onion soup
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp Cajun seasoning – I use Tony Chachere’s (if you can’t find it, don’t worry about it, it’ll still be good)
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 bay leaves
2 ½ cups uncooked rice

I usually make jambalaya in a cast iron pot, but if you don’t have one, don’t worry about it, just use whatever pot you have on hand that’s big enough to hold all of the ingredients and then you can bake it in a roasting pan. BTW, I made it this way at the Gathering because I was using my cast iron pot to cook the white beans. It tastes the same either way.
Brown your sausage and remove from the pot
Saute bell pepper, onions, celery, and garlic in same pot
Add Broth, cream of celery soup, cream of chicken soup, and French onion soup
Add all dry seasonings
Add all meat
Bring mixture to a slight boil and then reduce to simmer and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes stirring occasionally
Pour in rice
If you’re using a cast iron pot, return to a boil and once again reduce to simmer. Cover pot with lid (completely) and keep it covered (no peaking) and cook at simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off burner, remove lid, stir, and serve.
If you’re using a casserole or roasting pan, spray pan with Pam and pour mixture into the pan. Cover tightly with aluminum foil or a casserole dish cover. Bake in over for 1 ½ hours at 350 degrees.

A few notes about Jambalaya. There’s Cajun Jambalaya and there’s Creole Jambalaya. “Cajun” come from the word “Acadia” which is an area of Nova Scotia from which the French speaking Cajuns came from after the British ran them out. “Creole” people are the French speaking people that came to Louisiana directly from France. While South Louisiana is renown for its Cajun cooking, as a people, there are a lot more Creole French people in South Louisiana than Cajun French. This is particularly true in our biggest city, New Orleans, which is primarily Creole French and most of the cuisine is actually Creole French (not Cajun). If you venture westward into Lafayette, Louisiana and the surrounding areas, you’ll find most of the people there are Cajun French. That’s a lot of information as a prelude to explain that there’s two different Jambalaya’s; Cajun Jambalaya and Creole Jambalaya and they’re quite a bit different but both good, though I much prefer the Cajun Jambalaya.

Cajun Jambalaya is brown or tan in color and is made with chicken, pork, and sausage. Creole Jambalaya has tomatoes in it and so is red in color and is made with seafood and sausage. What I made at the gathering and the recipe I’m sharing is Cajun Jambalaya. By the way, I am of French descent on my mother’s side, LeSage was her maiden name; but I’m Creole French or what’s sometimes referred to as “French French”. However, while my ancestry is Creole French, I and most everyone outside of New Orleans generally prefer the Cajun French version of Jambalaya.

Whew! After all that typing, I sure hope at least someone makes this recipe!

garrech

Re: Jambalaya Recipe

Post by garrech » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:44 am

Thanks for the recipe and the history lesson! I did not know the difference between Cajun and Creole, thanks for explaining it.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:04 am

Thanks for sharing the recipe and especially the cultural origins behind it!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:15 am

Thanks, man that stuff was killer. I could have eaten much more.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:56 pm

Thanks! It’s 9pm, laying in bed and my mouth is wader’n!!!

NAMEngJS

Post by NAMEngJS » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:52 am

Louisiana steak and potatoes. You can find this at every festival, parade, ect. Always someone cooking it up and selling it at a football game. Nothing better when the weather gets cool (60s :lol: ) In the river parishes a favorite variation is to make pastalaya (use spaghetti vs rice).

Going to have to make some to put my red beans over.
-Juan Suarez

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:17 pm

The Jambalaya was awesome. I probably ate more than my share.... and enjoyed every bite.
Capt. Dave
Builder of the Amp Eater Aquatron

Return to “Gathering 2018”