Vroom vroom is gone

What a GREAT time was had by all who attended! Note that this forum will be archived under "Past Gatherings" soon....

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

Reynolty

Vroom vroom is gone

Post by Reynolty » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:42 am

Hello everyone-
While in the process of moving from Savannah to North Bend, Oregon; I woke up to find vroom vroom was stolen. It happened sometime last night, at a holiday inn express in Tupelo, MS.

We made good ground all day yesterday, me, Kelli, Griffin, and our in laws (they came along to drive and hang out with the baby). I woke up early to check the vehicles over, trailer tires, bearings, etc and she was gone! We left her locked to our jeep and sitting cross ways in the parking lot. The lock on the trailer hitch is cut and laying on the ground.

Anyone in the area please be on the lookout for a 11 foot mahogany runabout!

We dont really have the option to stay for a few days and hunt ourselves, have a report date to meet and work to get started.

The devastation hasn't fully set in yet, I'm sure over the next 35 hours of driving it will.

gdcarpenter

Re: Vroom vroom is gone

Post by gdcarpenter » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:12 am

OMG: So Sad, will,take a while for disbelief to fade.
Hopefully hr fact that she is so unique will enable locating her more likely.
You might want to post to the AOMCI site as well, they will help keep extra eyes open.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:10 am

WOW. That sucks. Heartbreaking. I hope law enforcement will find it. The perps don't know who they're messing with, the entire Glen-L network will be on the lookout for this. They weren't thinking, stealing a one-of-a-kind unique unmistakable craft.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:23 am

Oh this is truly unfortunate. I am very sorry to hear this. This seems to be a problem with moving. A similar thing happened to us when we moved across country in 2001. Woke up to checkout the 26 foot u haul truck and found it missing. I was also parked in a hotel. The truck was found several days later almost completely empty. Everything we owned was in that truck.

Again, I am truly sorry you had to suffer this. I hope that the boat is recovered intact quickly.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:22 pm

Man! Seems like I am hearing more and more of these kinds of thefts from hotels. Motorcycles, boats, collector cars, etc. Many of them quite unique vehicles. Makes me wonder if they end up overseas. To steal something handcrafted like that is lower than low.

Just curious because I dont have insurance on my little 9.9hp Tango skiff, but did on my Zip, did you have insurance on it? I would guess your auto insurance doesnt cover anything in a case like this?

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:01 pm

Dude, that really really sucks. Hope it turns up!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:05 pm

?Since it was in transport, there is an off chance Home Owners might cover it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Reynolty

Post by Reynolty » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:06 pm

Thanks for all the posts everyone- Great news, Vroom Vroom was found this morning!

It was being towed behind a stolen car on it's way into South Carolina from Georgia. The boat is now in Hartwell, GA and I am trying to figure out how to get it. (Kelli, Griffin and I are all the way in Oklahoma City and continue west in a few days)

No status yet on if it was stripped but the officer said it looked ok from the outside.

We did have insurance on the boat and they are trying to figure out if any transport cost would be reimbursed. Bill- thanks for the tip on homeowners insurance- we have renters so it might be the same.

If anyone knows anyone in the area of Hartwell that is taking a road trip west please let us know. We thought about back tracking but it is 14.5 hours from us now. (Stolen in Tupelo and the guy drove east six hours instead of driving west like we did!)

All in all good news and if anyone has any ideas on transport please let us know!

Thanks everyone!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:22 pm

Ty

Great news! Might be able to find an auto transport company. Let's see, we may be able to set up a relay team.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:13 pm

Glad she was found and in apparent good order. What would shipping costs be? Maybe we can do a go fund me page to help.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

kens

Post by kens » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:10 pm

Athens is 4 hours from me, and she is northeast of that.
Pm me later in the week, as my weekend work schedule firms up.
Is it impounded by the police at this point?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Reynolty

Post by Reynolty » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:13 pm

Relay team and transport are our two primary plans at this point- she is being held by worley auto wreckers in hartwell at a cost of 25 per day. The major problem is finding a way to get it released to someone who is not me. In the process of working with the wrecker and insurance company to figure that one out, but we are also waiting on an assessor from the insurance company to show up and check damages before it can be picked up by anyone.

This whole thing is a mess but at least our boat will eventually find it's way home.

Another thought we had was to leave the boat with our nearest family (in oklahoma city) and not haul it to the final destination of oregon. This would be closer to Tennessee and allow us to haul it from OK to the 2019 gathering (hugely important, right??)

Long story short thanks to all the responders and hopefully we can finalize a plan soon.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:41 am

Tyler.... I like "Plan B"..... We need Vroom Vrom at the Gathering to wake us all up and get us moving in the morning !!

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:50 am

So glad you got her back. Hope everything works out for you.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:33 am

Tyler.... I like "Plan B"..... We need Vroom Vroom at the Gathering to wake us all up and get us moving in the morning !!
This coming from the guy way up on the hill! :shock: :lol:

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Gathering 2018”