Why Do You Come to The Gatherings?

Time to start planning another GREAT time together with Glen-L boats and Glen-L boat builders!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

Why Do You Come to The Gatherings?

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:56 am

We're coming up on G-13! I've often wondered, why did it go in the first place and why does it keep going? We first thought that we might have a half dozen guys sitting around a campfire, drinking beer, and telling stories. The response was more than expected! And, it grew.

I've been there from the beginning. I'm very proud that this has become an event for many of us. We include builders from all designs. Not just Glen-L. Glen-L is a great advocate and supporter of the Gathering, and our friends! But, the builders are the ones that are the ones that make it go! It is our Gathering.

I think that I am proudest of the friendships and relationships that have grown from us getting together. Many of us were at the first Gathering in 2007. We've become real friends. I think we have helped Glen-L. The forum provides much of Glen-L's tech support. As I said, Gayle and John are our friends. Our group travels to see and help each other. We have had Gatherings in California and Australia. Lauren and I went to the first Gathering in Australia. Several people have come to ours from Austrailia and New Zealand. This is not just about the boats.

I'm looking forward to G-13 in September.

Why do you come or want to came?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Re: Why Do You Come to The Gatherings?

Post by vupilot » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:06 pm

I came to my first Gathering, I think it was G3, last one in Guntersville AL, about 1/3rd the way through my first build which was the Zip. I came there to learn more about building, what finished boats looked like in real life, what they felt like to ride in. Talk and listen to build advice and techniques. I left with many new friends right away.

I come back every other year or so now to re-kindle friendships and make new ones. Also, to share my experience after 3 builds and give lots of rides. The amazing food people make to share is also a good reason to keep coming back. I just love to see the new builds in person after watching them come to fruition for months or years on the forum.

I think our next trip back to the Gathering we will go to Ruby Falls and really enjoy more outside the Gathering that we haven't seen in previous trips but still plan to eat all the meals with the group and do a little boating. The River Run in a boat you built with a bunch of friends in their boats is always the best part of the whole trip and makes the 430 mile drive worth it. I dont go anywhere all year where I get to call a more diverse group my friends.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:20 am

Meeting some of you guys from the forum and seeing your boats at G10 was big inspiration. Then bringing my boat to G12 and taking it up the river to Chattanooga was an awesome experience. We even got to rescue Tyler's jerry can after it fell off his jet squirt. He didn't realize it was gone until about 10 miles later when he was about to run out of gas. We pulled up to him wondering what he was gonna do. He was glad to see that can and not miss lunch! Lots more memories like that. What a great experience!

It's way more fun when you bring your boat but definitely worth it if you're still in the process or just dreaming. I don't know if I would have gone ahead with building a boat if it wasn't for this forum. You all show time and again what is possible for any average Joe to accomplish with the right help here and there.

So I'm thankful for y'all this Thanksgiving!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:52 am

It's a Boat builder Family Reunion for me. Love everything and everybody!! Happy Thanksgiving to all my Friends!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:27 pm

Roberta

Family reunion where you choose your family.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:14 am

:D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:59 am

The first Gathering I attended was G5, in 2011. It had been only a few weeks beforehand that I started getting curious about boatbuilding. The idea of building one of my own seemed like a far off daydream.

I stumbled across the Glen-L website, and was shocked to see the announcement right on the front page that their annual Gathering was a week away, and right here at Hales Bar Marina. Of course, I went. I well remember walking down the dock, and being just astounded at all the different boats... and knowing that each of them had been made by the very people sitting and standing along the dock, chatting, drinking a beer, enjoying the beautiful September day. I was particularly taken with the Zips. That year was the debut of Roberta's Oliver IV. Chris' First Born was also there, as well as Rick Bohn's Jeanne Ann. I was shocked to see that someone had even built a cabin cruiser (It was Bob's Sea Knight). The rumble of the outboards; watching my kids pilot Abby's Little Tugboat around the marina with Kevin; even my one and only ride on a sailboat — I was taken with all of it. I guess the words are "awe" and "inspiration." I was just amazed to see these boats, right there bobbing up and down in the water, and not as some abstract idea on a website. I began to have a flicker of realization that I could actually build one of these myself, too. The people there were all very encouraging, and happy to share their experience and knowledge.

So why do I keep coming back to the Gatherings? To renew that sense of inspiration. To hopefully help inspire other new builders in the way you all have inspired me. As Chris said, to rekindle old friendships, and forge new ones. To learn — I always learn something new at the Gatherings — and to share what knowledge and experience I've gained as well. To relax among others who share a love of these boats. To sit & have a cold beer with some great people.
-Michael

"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly

Blog (Utility & Zip): http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Soloboat

Post by Soloboat » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:07 pm

From the very inception this forum has been one of helpfulness no one ragging on any one except for ragging on Bill E. I went to G2 G4 and G10 after the first I went because of the kindred spirit we all did the same stupid and brilliant things we all found solutions advice wise or from sleep induced sensibilities. It was great to meet all the other crazy people and share the joy of being crazy which surely only crazy people know. There was never the best this or that only genuine compliments on the builds. and the awards! damn I still have my suntan lotion for the best Tan in Oct in Guntersville . Cheers all.
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

Return to “Gathering 2019”