Count Down

Time to start planning another GREAT time together with Glen-L boats and Glen-L boat builders!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

Andy Garrett

Re: Count Down

Post by Andy Garrett » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:56 pm

Anything out west coming up?
Now that I live where the rivers run the other direction, my dreams of making a gathering are less lilely to come true.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:43 pm

Andy

Sorry. We just put this together here. We are not sponsored or funded. There was an attempt at one on Lake Powell, not enough interest. There were a couple near San Francisco. The organizer got caught up in worries about liability. Had one in Australia with a good group. Australia hopes to do more.

I/we can't do this around the country. Everything is volunteered. I can't even tell you why this one works.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:49 am

Bill: It works because of people like you and Neel and others that put in a lot of effort and make new people comfortable being there.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:33 am

Bryan

Thank you from everyone. But... maybe it works because this is a group of doers, of coarse cooking, bringing boats and... Also, just helping keep the place clean, helping launch and retrieve boats, picking the spare gas can up that fell off the squire on the way to Chattanooga, running support boat behind that first splash boat, pulling in that boat who's old engine quit to find out the tank vent was closed, Craig's singing? on Saturday night... It's a long long list. I thank everyone. Even the dumb things that happen, what would we make awards for without them!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:34 am

Some part also goes to selected location.
Prior to G1 and even on the archives prior to this bulletin board, a small group of us discussed the location.
The area in and/or around the Tri-states (Ga-Tn-Al) was deemed as the most centrally located for the biggest majority of people.
Thus Guntersville was the beginning of G1. It seems to have worked.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:42 am

Ken was one of the first, if not the first, instigators of the Gatherings. The state park people didn't want to work with groups. They kept deposits, even after several of us stayed late making sure it was all cleaned up. After the 3rd year, they told us it was completely booked the next year for a wedding. The third year they booked a bass tournament and sea plane flight-in on top of us. We moved.

I don't remember exactly how we came to Hales Bar. We looked at many places. Branson MO was suggested. It is hard to get to pulling a boat. Several nice places were put on the table, too pricey. Hales Bar isn't the nicest place. But it is good. Good and varied accommodation. The staff really likes us. They block out all the floating cabins and many of the land cabins for us. No booking deposit. They have made many improvements for us. They are part of the Gathering! Access to HB is easy. It is a mile or so off Interstate 24. Several Interstates intersect in Chattanooga.

You need to come.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Bob Maskel

Post by Bob Maskel » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:30 pm

Among many highlights, the river run is one of my favorites. It would be a bit harder to do that from Branson. :)
Bob
Sea Knight on the water/Malahini in progress

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:41 pm

I've heard it said that Nashville, TN and by extension East Tennessee is within a day's drive of 80% of the U.S. population. The river run is awesome. The marina is not the Hilton but it's my kinda place. We pretty much have the run of the place when we are there.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:54 am

Well we're down to 5 MONTHS :!:

There has been a change at Hales Bar! They have a new owner. Neel and I talked on the phone this morning (4/15). We don't think it will have much effect on the Gathering this year. They might start wanting a deposit (refundable). We don't know. They plan to start many improvements this week. They plan to paint all the buildings, work on the RV area, and work on the cabins & docks. We think we're OK this year!

Neel: Please jump in with any more info.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:20 pm

Are they keeping all the current reservations or do we need to reconfirm them?

Roberta :?:
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Roberta

I think we're good. They may contact everyone. This what Tony pasted on to Neel. We just don't know right now.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Is Tony still there? or does this just affect the cabins and not the marina Inquiring minds need to know. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:25 am

Tony is still there and will remain at the store till the end of the season. Then the new owner will be taking the store over and Tony will have to find new employment. I think as he gets to know Tony and realizes how valuable he is, things may change. They have also hired a new manager for the marina, so Tony will no longer be doing that job. The new owner is young (36) and owns three other marinas. Tony likes him and thinks the improvements he has in mind will be good for everyone. I am planning to contact the new owner to tell him how valuable I think Tony has been over the years for our group. Maybe if enough of us do that, Tony will have a shot at staying on.

There is no need for anyone to contact the marina about reservations. As Bill said, they may call and request a deposit. It would be fully refundable. I think all is well except the Tony situation..... All Take Care,,,, Neel

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:27 am

The new owner may own other marinas... but I wonder what type of marinas, and where? Hales Bar is a pretty unique place, and I doubt ANYONE still working there is as deeply familiar with that marina and it’s clientele as Tony. The new owner would be ridding himself of one of his greatest possible assets in running THAT marina if he lets Tony go that easily.
-Michael

"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly

Blog (Utility & Zip): http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am

If the deposit is refundable why do they need one?
We are going to cancel for now and if there is space later we will come
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Return to “Gathering 2019”