G-14 Dates and Location

Here we go again! Time to start planning on attending another Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders!
September 17-20, 2020

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

BarnacleMike

Re: G-14 Dates and Location

Post by BarnacleMike » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:31 pm

Just a couple more photos...

In the photo of the courtesy dock, if you look at the gap to the left, that is where Island Cove Marina opens onto Harrison Bay. You're basically looking directly across the bay at Harrison Bay State Park.

All of this is merely to say... If you wind up having a future Gathering upriver from Chickamauga Dam, you don't HAVE to lock through for a lunch run unless you simply want to go downtown. There are other options accessible from the water. Less variety, sure.
Attachments
Another shot of the courtesy dock at Island Cove Marina
Another shot of the courtesy dock at Island Cove Marina
The docks at Island Cove Yacht Club
The docks at Island Cove Yacht Club
-Michael

"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly

Blog (Utility & Zip): http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:15 pm

Sounds fun ,folks.I won't be able to make it however since I'll be helping mom at her fishing resort again .She opens in May(fishing opener)and is full up until October.It's a 7 day a week job so will be lucky if I can get out in "Chug-A Lug"
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

kens

Post by kens » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:45 am

What kind of accomodations/rooms/cabins/RV is there at Harrison bay, Island cove?
boat ramp & parking?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:03 pm

Mike, from what I could tell all the shirts ran about a size small. Not just the XLs. My XL feels like a slim large.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:42 pm

kens wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:45 am
What kind of accomodations/rooms/cabins/RV is there at Harrison bay, Island cove?
boat ramp & parking?
Ken, Harrison Bay State Park has a considerable amount of RV space. It is definitely an RV-friendly park. It’s possible to tent camp there also, but there are no cabins or hotel-type accommodations there. Plenty of parking. Only 1 boat ramp (shown in one of tbe photos). Being a state park, I do not believe beer, etc is available at the restaurant.

At Island Cove Marina, I did not see any RVs or RV areas. There was the little Inn there, and based on what Bryan said, a few cabins. As far as the Glen-L crowd goes, I think Island Cove Marina mainly offers the water-accessible restaurant (Amigos) where you can get lunch & a beer.

I have not been to the Blue Water Resort that Bill mentioned, but from what I saw on the website it looked great. It’s further upriver from Harrison Bay, so I think the facilities on Harrison Bay might primarily serve as a destination for a lunch run.
-Michael

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:14 pm

I'm glad to see that we have some options. But, G-14 I plan to be at Hales Bar. We'll give them another chance.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:50 am

I definitely agree with Bill that Hales Bar is definitely a more ideal location, as long as the facilities are all up to par.

I do wish the docks along the front were more protected from wakes coming off the river, though.

Anyway... I made a couple of little tweaks to the design. Larger top banner, "G14" on the boat, and just for fun I worked the coordinates into the footer. Too much?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 1.43.48 PM.png
-Michael

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:21 pm

Your best design yet!
Matt B

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:55 pm

It looks great. I was disappointed with my G13 shirt. I ordered the Ladies XL and it was so small I had to give it away. I laid my G12 out and laid the G13 on top. There was at least two inches on both sides of my G12 uncovered. Both were marked XL.

Roberta :( :(
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:09 pm

Same here. I’ve had to physically stretch my XLs just to make them wearable. Even then, they’re still snug. Something was definitely wrong with that last batch of shirts... like they were mis-labelled, or perhaps they were children’s sizes.
-Michael

AdamNMel

Post by AdamNMel » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:27 am

Mike the shirt for G14 looks great. I appreciate the effort you have put in with checking out places north of the dam for us to be able to make a river run for lunch. My family has visited Blue Water Dayton and I am sure that no one would be disappointed with the accommodations there. In fact we plan to stay there and bring our boats down to the gather, I understand wanting to give Hales Bar another chance, but I feel like the new owners should have put forth their best presentation at last years gathering to make sure we come back, they clearly didn’t do that. I also feel that if we change the venue we might get a lot of people that have been to Hales Bar a number of times but haven’t been back because of “been there, done that” mentality will come to new venue, a new adventure!

G13 shirts, I haven’t heard anyone say that their shirt was the right size, all of the ones my family got were smaller than the size they supposed to be. Maybe the company that made them would like to correct the issue.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:28 pm

Ten Months to go!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Gathering 2020”