G-14 Dates and Location

Another Wonderful Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders is in the History Books.
Read all about it here!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

neel thompson

Re: G-14 Dates and Location

Post by neel thompson »

I got a call from Hannah at Hales Bar this afternoon. She is still blocking out all of the floating cabins for our group in September but will have to open them up to other customers as of July 12th. So please make your reservation if there is a chance of you attending. They will give the entire deposit back to you as long as you cancel at least three weeks prior. As Bill said in an earlier post, they are totally booked through August and they are getting calls about September. I certainly understand their concerns. After July 12th there will be no guarantee of getting a cabin. Thanks,,, Neel

kens

Post by kens »

I just made a road trip and went by Hales Bar. I stopped very briefly to walk the docks.
Looks like all the cabins are floating level.
the docks are same old story.
dock bumpers missing or hanging loose.
dock cleats loose or not there.
For a place that classifies itself as 'marina' , it sure doesn't look inviting if you got a shiny boat to tie up.
That is definitely a BYOB.
Bring your own Bumpers
BYOC
Bring your own Cleats.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I'll be bringing cleats. It will be interesting to see what they have done to the cabins. I slept, diagonally, on one of the red "sofa beds" last year. It wasn't anchored to the floor so whenever I got up I had to be careful not to tip it over. :lol: If they wanted to work on them they sure have had time the last few months.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Heather and I have been to 3 Gatherings at Hales Bar, nothing changes and we’re OK with the accommodations. I could make a list of needed improvements but the experience is about boat builders and boats. I love having our boats parked right outside our door. The distance to Chattanooga on the river is perfect, any farther and bladder relief becomes an issue.
We have good food so a fancy restaurant isn’t needed. Tom makes a wonderful Baklava for dessert.
Matt B

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I agree. There's hot water which drains most of the time and a relatively flat and soft place to lay down. The rest of it is about the boats and the people. You guys are a blast to hang with and I can't wait to see you all again.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

wnhansen

Post by wnhansen »

I believe we are in cabin #7 with our Malahini, so we look forward to meeting you.
Walt and Nancy Hansen
Patience, persistence, perseverance, and perfect practice may not result in perfection, but it's essential in striving for excellence.

kens

Post by kens »

I did notice one thing everybody will like,
the grass in the water is gone !!
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Ken

That is Great!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

2 MONTHS TO GO!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Butch Barto

Post by Butch Barto »

WE are ready . Dont think my nephew ever did get through to make a reservation

Butch Barto

Post by Butch Barto »

Mabe someone can help me . My nephew been trying to book a cabin off and on for weeks . cant seem to get anyone to even answer the phone and the mail box been full for weeks. So how are they get people wanting to make a booking for the spots we had reserved for the gathering.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I got a call from them about a week ago asking if I was still interested in a cabin. I got the impression that they were busy and wanted to know if cabins would be freed up for them to book non G14 people.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

gaffrig24

Post by gaffrig24 »

kens wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:12 am
I did notice one thing everybody will like,
the grass in the water is gone !!
The grass will be back. It dies in the cold water. Its growing everyday now.
The klop, klop of water under the bows of a small boat will cure most troubles in this world.

gaffrig24

Post by gaffrig24 »

Glad to say the new restaurant is serving up some good food, cold beer, and a smile.
There is also a new restaurant called top of the rock near the Walmart. It has spectacular views great food and a brewery. Great place to grab a bite if you want to drive down.
The klop, klop of water under the bows of a small boat will cure most troubles in this world.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Anyone having trouble getting someone to answer the phone at Hales Bar? I’m not sure what their business model looks like but that place does their best to encourage customers to stay away.
Sheesh,
Matt B

Return to “Gathering 2020”