G-15 Alternative Location

Another Wonderful Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders is in the History Books.
Read all about it here!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

G-15 Alternative Location

Post by Bill Edmundson »

This comes up ever year or two. The first fact is that someone is going to be unhappy. It's just the way it is. Hales Bar got a new owner last year and did some good things. A few things were worse.

It has been brought up that we look for alternate locations for G-15. We decided to give Hales Bar another year for G-14 to see how much more work they get done.

If you have a possible location to suggest, we're open. You need to go check it out and give everyone a report. I'll make a list of things that are part of the considerations. This is your Gathering. I don't have the time or desire to travel/inspect/evaluate half of the country. This is all volunteer. None us are Glen-L employees.

Things to consider:
1. Location and Accessibility (Includes where are people located and what is the drive like to get there.)
2.Price (We've had some nice places suggested. Nice, out of my range.)
3.Dockage and Ramps
4.Access to the Boats
5.Maybe a Group Friday River Run (This has become a high port of the Gathering. Don't forget locks take a lot of time.)
6.Lodging Option (Cabins/Hotel/RV Park/Camping)
7.Stores (Food/Drink/Repair Supplies...)
8.Food Option (Is there a place to fix food and gather?)
9.Possible Medical Emergencies. (We haven't had any yet. But, it's good to know that there is some place near.)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Re: G-15 Alternative Location

Post by kens »

Tims Ford State Park ???

according to the website, it has everything except the river run.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bob Maskel

Post by Bob Maskel »

Can I get there by water? Can’t speak for others but that river run is a highlight of the week for me
Bob
Sea Knight on the water/Malahini in progress

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Its hard to find the perfect place, always going to be a compromise in some way but I believe a better place is certainly out there.

kens

Post by kens »

Bill posted a list of 9 items to consider,
I think Tims Ford shows 8 of 9 on their website.
Can anybody else suggest a site that has 9 of 9?
Personally, I think Hales bar is a 7 of 9.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Not to be critical but what, specifically, do you like about Tim's Ford? I don't really see a spot where we can all gather around the boats. At least where they're in the water.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

kens

Post by kens »

hoodman wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:34 pm
Not to be critical but what, specifically, do you like about Tim's Ford? I don't really see a spot where we can all gather around the boats. At least where they're in the water.
I assume you are speaking of #4 on Bill's above list.
If that is true, then Tims Ford is a 8 of 9, correct?
Not to be critical, but what specifically do you not like about a 8 out of 9?

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

I think thats a very valid concern. It looks like the only marina docks there at Tims Ford are full of rental pontoons. But that is why calling and talking to these places and visiting to see what is possible to be arranged is going to be required.

The nice part is we have 14 years of pictures to show these places that our group is serious about booking and showing up and leaving the place in the same condition or better than we found it. So the right place should be willing to work with us.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Kens, I was more curious why you liked that one in particular. Have you been there?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

If we are going to move off the Tennessee River, how about the Cumberland River. One option is Wildwood https://wildwoodresorttn.com/. Don't know costs or where boats would go.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

kens

Post by kens »

hoodman wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:10 pm
Kens, I was more curious why you liked that one in particular. Have you been there?
website says 8 boat ramps and 3 marinas, hotels and cabins close by

kens

Post by kens »

DrBryanJ wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:36 am
If we are going to move off the Tennessee River, how about the Cumberland River. One option is Wildwood https://wildwoodresorttn.com/. Don't know costs or where boats would go.
Cumberland River?
interesting....

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

kens wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:18 pm
DrBryanJ wrote:
Cumberland River?
interesting....
Yes, The Cumberland River does sound like a good possibility. It would be about 2 hours closer to home as well!
Capt. Dave
Builder of the Amp Eater Aquatron

kens

Post by kens »

DrBryanJ wrote:
I just talked to them.
He says he has a dock he can accommodate us.
the website shows numerous lodging options.
He will send me a email with more info, and I will forward this info as I get it.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Thanks Ken for reaching out to them. It does look interesting. Lots of different lodging options. The only thing I didn't see was an RV area.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Return to “Gathering 2020”