G-15 Alternative Location

Another Wonderful Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders is in the History Books.
Read all about it here!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

DrBryanJ

Re: G-15 Alternative Location

Post by DrBryanJ »

All three alternate sites look nice. I'd be concerned about number of available rooms. Bluewater looks like 16? and Euchee 14+land cabins? I'm not sure about Wildwood. Will that be enough?

I'm not happy about no pets at Euchee. I like to bring my dog and I know several others do as well. (Maybe something can be worked out?) I do like the flouting cabins though.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

kens

Post by kens »

I could visit one of the locations as a reconnaissance run either before or, after the G14.
That would be either Wed/Thurs or Sunday.
Anybody else able to go and evaluate?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

I would like to, but they are all a days drive from me.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Butch Barto

Post by Butch Barto »

I love Hals Bar ! I don't see us finding a better place. It is not TRUMP PLAZA it's a marina with floating cabins ,Land cabins and a RV park. With very few rules and restrictions on us . The store has GAS and most anything else we need. If they don't it's not far to Chattanooga or over to Jasper .

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

That's what this thread needs Butch, people to speak up! I don't even know if the group wants to move for sure. But I enjoy looking.

I can go either way on it. If we do move, I just want to make sure its for the right reason's and its what the group wants. We wont find a more picturesque river run anywhere else! All I need is the cabin shower and toilet to work, no bed bugs and I can deal with the rest because its such a great location. On the other hand, the place does have its issues and several find the cabin maintenance and cleaning to be less than adequate.

We have found that locations do exist nearby with some really nice cabins and shore amenities that we have never had before at a very similar price. There are still questions to be answered if these will work in the long run and visits to be made but if the majority don't want to move then why put the effort in? I'm ready to spend a weekend in October driving back down and looking at places but only if the group agree's that a move is wanted.

AdamNMel

Post by AdamNMel »

The Amundsen gang checked out https://www.bluewaterdayton.com/ last year, we found the place excellent for our gatherings, and they are willing to work with us, they have a large RV park and the cabins are awesome.

The one thing we didn’t find yet was a good place for a lunch on the river run, but I’m sure that can yet be found.

kens

Post by kens »

barnaclemike posted about some restaurants on Chickamauga.
they are approx a 20mile run, down river
scroll down this link to see :
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=35320

also a restaurant upriver at Cottonport marina
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

I don't even know if the group wants to move for sure
Good point, Chris. I started a poll thread so that we can get an official count - viewtopic.php?f=75&t=35717

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Good call on making the poll. Thanks!

kens

Post by kens »

I just got off the phone with BlueWaterDayton marina.
yes, they can block out 2 docks (12slips each) together for 24 slips for us.
yes, we can dock party on the docks
on their webpage map, they are the uncovered seasonal docks,
there is total 22 rooms on the site, they can be blocked out for us last weekend Sept 2021.
included in the 22 rooms is 2 pavillions, BBQ grills, firepit, and the docks
yes, they have RV sites
they offering 15% off group rate
there is 3 restaurants named thus far for River Run, no lockages, about 20 mile run
Amundson gang has been there and gave it a thumbs up in a prior post

I tried the math for rooms, if there is 14 floating cabins as now, 2 of those are 2-bedroom,
plus 2 land cabins 2-room each, that comes to 20 rooms right there.
I think we could easily take all 22 rooms at the new place. (if covid goes away)
of the 22 rooms, several have sleeper sofa

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

That sounds really good, Ken. Thanks for taking the time to check this out. I'm in.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

It looks pretty nice Ken. I expect Neel or Bill could best answer this, but, what's the risk of trying a different spot. I mean, if we didn't like it couldn't we always return to Hales Bar, or would that bridge be burnt?

kens

Post by kens »

Why would we burn a bridge with Hales Bar?
Not making reservations at a rental room is not burning a bridge.
Yeah, if we decide to go back, we should be able to.

I'm stopping by the new place inbound to the G
I'll get phone video/pics of the place.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I really don't have a problem with Hale's Bar but Blue Water looks really nice. That basin is big too which would give us a lot of room to run the boats around. It also looks like it is not on the main river channel which would protect us from big rollers at the dock. I like that it's still on the Tennessee River as well.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

kens

Post by kens »

I received an invitation letter email from BlueWater marina.
I cannot recall any kind of invitation from Hales Bar,
She blocked out all the rooms, and docks for dock party, if we want to accept it, last weekend Sept.
and a group rate discount.
here is the body of it cut from my email:

Hello Ken,

First let me tell you it was very nice chatting with you and I am excited about your interest in our Resort for your gathering!!

So we have a total of 8 Loft Lodge rooms, 8 Standard Lodge rooms, 2 Duplex Cabins, 1 River House, and 1 Lake House.

The layouts are as following:
Our RV sites are: Waterfront: $59/night, $354/week; Non-waterfront $49/night, $295/week. Every site is a 40' concrete pad with full hook ups: water, sewer, wifi, electric and cable.

Our rooms are: Duplex: 1 private queen bedroom and 1 full pull out couches $129/night, Standard lodge room: 1 private queen bedroom, 2 full pull out couches $159/night, Loft-lodge room: 1 private queen bedroom, 2 twins beds in an upper loft area, and 2 full pull out couches $189/night, Lake House: Waterfront property, 3 private bedrooms, 1 & ½ bathrooms, 1 queen bedroom, 1 full-twin bunk, 1 twin-twin bunk $225/night, River House: 4 bedroom 2 bathroom; bedroom 1: 1 king bed; bedroom 2: 2 queen beds; bedroom 3: 1 queen, 1 full-twin bunk; bedroom 4: 1 full-twin bunk $299/night. All rooms have fully stocked kitchens; full sized fridge, stove and coffee pot and all the linen is included.

I have blocked every room we have under your name in case this is the way you decide to go.

You will also have access to both of our pavilions. One seats up to 70 people and is by the pool. This one has bathrooms under the pavilion, a bar area, and a full sized fridge right by the standard and loft lodge rooms. There are also gas fire pits by the standard lodge rooms. There is a fully stocked fishing pond beside this pavilion as well. The other pavilion is closer to the docks, that I have also blocked off, has seating for up to 60 people and a step down into fire pit that you all would be more than welcome to use, and it overlooks the water. There are restrooms on the porch of the general store as well.

The following link is a link to our campground map. The 3 docks that are to the left of the boat launch are the docks that I have blocked for your use. It would be the 2 further from the launch that you all will have. I have also blocked off my 2 standard transit slips for the couple of people that may need shore power. The 2 docks further from the launch will have 110 shore power and water as well in case you need it. https://www.bluewaterdayton.com/wp-cont ... 200114.jpg

The following link is to our virtual tours of all of our rooms. You will look see the links to all different style rooms at the top of the page. You can do walk through of each room.

https://www.bluewaterdayton.com/dayton-tn-hotel/

If there is any thing else that you need, information or otherwise please let us know!

Thank you!

Return to “Gathering 2020”