COVID-19?

Another Wonderful Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders is in the History Books.
Read all about it here!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

COVID-19?

Post by Bill Edmundson »

What is your opinion on this and G-14?
Neel & Craig, Rich & Roberta are out. Tom Juring is out. I don't know who else. Lauren, my wife, has cold feet. I'm concerned. Everyone is on their own of coarse. I've made a reservation. But, it still not too late to cancel.

I hate this,
Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

neel thompson

Re: COVID-19?

Post by neel thompson »

Would it make sense to postpone it till May or June of 2021 ?? Maybe things will be more under control by then... Just a thought....

Butch Barto

Post by Butch Barto »

We are still Plan to go at this point . But don't sound like all the regulars are going . I am not buying all the news media is selling. If someone died from cancer or in a car crash or got shot in the street that tested positive they are counting them as a Covid-19 death ! My Daughterinlaw is a RN she thinks it is crazy that a death that are not related to Covid-19 are being counted. Not saying not to be carful . It would be great if the media would tell the real truth for a change so that the public could make choices based on facts not political agenda .

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I'm in Butch's camp on this! I want real info/numbers. Not made for TV numbers. Right now I know 2 people with it. I know more with just plain Flu. I haven't seen these two in months.
:?
Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I feel terrible about bailing out on G14. I wish we could trust someone, either way, on what this is all about. My guess is the truth is somewhere in the middle of all this. I don't know if we are resistant to the virus or just lucky or it just isn't that bad. I'm not concerned about our group spreading it, but just don't know about other people you meet along the way and what safeguards they practice. For now, we're staying close to home until we can be confident we will be safe.

Roberta :|
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

The great part of boating on the Tennessee River is, if It’s just Heather, me and the dog we still have a great time. Look forward to running the river with whoever shows up.
Matt B

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Hate the idea of canceling as the Gathering has been going on a great run for such a long time. I have taken for granted that I could skip a year here and there and it would be still going on for me to come back to, I was getting serious about coming this year again too! I feel safe enough in the cabins after I bring my own disinfectant and go to town on inside of the cabin right after I arrive. Been doing that with wipes at hotels and rental cars the last few months when I have had to travel.

I don't think pitch-in buffet style meals are a really great idea right now, nor a group of 30 at a restaurant. But eating in your own cabins and hanging out on the docks with a little extra space is a risk I'm willing to take with you fine people. To really be precautionary, masks when on the dock talking in groups and riding in boats with people outside your family is probably prudent but I despise wearing them as much as most of the rest of you, especially outside and in the heat. It would definitely have a different feel to it if we are taking precautions and skipping some of our favorite traditions but with some precautions I think the risks are manageable in my view.

However, for those that travel far enough they stay a night in a hotel and eat in restaurants on the way to the Gathering I definitely get not wanting to go and to save considerable expense for another time. I just have one gas stop to get there and a grocery store visit to get me through the weekend. Things I already still do. But I dont fault anyone who doesnt want to travel at all right now no matter the distance

Yes, I sure wish we had factual data to base our decisions on. If we have the Gathering, the fact that some good 'ol friends I want to see wont be there will certainly weigh on my decision to come myself but I will still strongly consider coming to see all the rest of you. If we don't have it, I will really be itching to come in 2021 and maybe others will feel the same and it will be bigger and better than ever. On the other hand, Keith and Hercdriver are really all the entertainment a person needs!

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

We are still planning to come. Although I am concerned, it looks like there will likely be fewer than the normal amount of people there. I really need that river run.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

I am planning on coming right now, but seriously considering not. I am not really concerned about getting the virus, but NJ has created a list of states, that if you visit, you must quarantine for two weeks. TN is on that list. I can't afford to shut my practice for two weeks. If I don't quarantine and spread virus to patients, my practice would be toast.

I have a second reason for coming this year, I am getting a dog from a woman that lives 30 minutes from Hale Town. The puppies will be 5 weeks old during the gathering and I can go pick which one I would like. Of course, I'll have to travel back down three weeks later to get it. I refuse to ship a puppy.

As far as masks outside: The World Health Org. has published science that shows the chance of getting the virus from someone outside from more than 6 feet is so small that the use of masks also has really no effect. I feel safe running outside without a mask. If I pass someone, I just make sure to move six feet from them as we pass.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Bryan

I certainly understand your situation. I'm sure things are slow. Lauren does want to go in for a cleaning and check-up.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

I'm with Butch on this.

I had no plans to come, but now I'm thinking I might just to be the rebel that I am.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

I have been on this forum for a long time and have attended the last nine gatherings. I must say that in every single conversation I have had with my fellow boatbuilders here on the forum, in emails, in PM's, texting, and in person over those years, never once has politics come up. I really don't know, and don't want to know who is a Republican or a Democrat. With our country so divided in so many ways, our hobby is, and has been a great escape from the every day turmoil and political divide. Please.... Can we keep it that way, or has it gone too far to make that possible? Sorry for the "ramble". All take care,,, Neel

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I agree, Neel. Let's leave political battles and opinions on other forums. As moderators, maybe we need to delete any political posts.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Somebody brought up politics?

The first rule of any good forum: "Don't talk about the three "G's" - God, Government or Guns and we'll all get along just fine."

Maybe I'll be there in 2021 with a finished boat? I hate coming to the dance without a date.... :? :(
Tahoe - 21' under construction

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

ashespap

Post by ashespap »

I will be there if it isn't canceled. Looking forward to seeing all of you that decide to make the trip. Will miss those of you who can't make it this year. :D

Bob
Bob
Middle TN
Building a Malahini

Return to “Gathering 2020”