Gathering Location Poll

Another Wonderful Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders is in the History Books.
Read all about it here!

Moderators: Roberta, Bill Edmundson

Would you prefer that we continue to have the Gathering at Hales Bar or move to a new location.

Poll ended at Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:32 am

Remain at Hales Bar Marina
11%
Find a New Location
89%

Total votes: 18

BayouBengal

Gathering Location Poll

Post by BayouBengal »

The issues for staying or moving can be found on multiple threads. Here's the place to cast your vote. A vote to move will spring several people into action to locate a suitable new location. A vote to stay will prevent people from wasting time looking for a new venue if most of the group would prefer the Hales Bar Marina location.

MNC

Re: Gathering Location Poll

Post by MNC »

It's not perfect but I like Hale's Bar for the gathering.
Builder of Cruisette, Utility, Power-Row Skiff, Sabotina, Flat-Bottom Kayak, Kid Row

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

The one bedroom floating cabins are too small and poorly equipped, the store is hit and miss, disappointed the party dock was moved, the restaurant never seems to be open and not convenient, the walk from land cabins is getting too far a walk for this old lady, nothing seems to be done about bugs, either inside or out, and the place is losing its charm for me.

I have vented. :lol: I like Wildwood and there are other places in other states. I really liked Lake Powell and would do it again in spring or fall. Wisconsin has some great 8 to 15 lake chains.

Roberta :)
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Sure, I‘m game for a new dot on the map. It’s not because Hales Bar is awful but I’m always interested in what’s around the next bend.
Matt B

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

I thought Hales Bar was okay. Floating cabins are in rough shape, but I have been in worse before. I like the floating cabins with the dock right outside. Very convenient. If it stays at Hales Bar, I would still come when I can. I don't know if Lisa would. She was very unhappy with the cabins. That being said, I think it might be worth looking at other venues. I thought the three mentioned look nice.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Butch Barto

Post by Butch Barto »

I don't have a problem with Hals Bar. To stay for a couple days where we can eat and party right beside our boats, pretty much take over the entire dock for 3 days. Without any one giving us any grief. Jump on your boat any minute and take a ride. Any chance of a storm popping up we right there to do what ever necessary to protect the boats . The ride to Chattanooga is awesome . I don't think we could find a place where we could do what we do there and have that much fun and with out getting kicked out. The Gathering is not a 5 star resort vacation, it for all of us builders to get together and enjoy our boats with friends

kens

Post by kens »

I have had hit-or-miss quality with the floating cabins.
Then I started getting room in Kimball, Tn. I felt better.
Then the last time, I did reserve a land cabin,,,, to join the crowd.
When I arrived, there was a old stale cocktail drink leftover in the 'fridge.
Needless to say, I turned around and got a room back in Kimball.
The Hales bar manager asked me why I didn't notify him,,,,, so he could clean it up..........
at that point it doesn't matter, he had 60days reservation to expect me showing up,
.......to clean out the goddamn 'fridge.........
Did you ever see something that you wish you could un-see?
The moldy leftover cocktail drink was the deal-breaker for me.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

Butch, as usual, I agree with most of what you say. Hales Bar is certainly an excellent venue for displaying the boats and socializing. The location has a lot going for it. However, with all due respect, you've not been staying in the same accommodations that the rest of us have.

We'll be at the Gathering Friday afternoon and look forward to visiting, but only for the afternoon and early evening. We won't be staying the night. I can assuredly say that we've spent our last sleepover in the Hales Bar Marina lodging. If we do attend a future Gathering at Hales Bar for the whole weekend instead of just for a day, we'll be doing like Ken and getting offsite lodging (which really negates a lot of the advantage Hales Bar offers).

We're not looking for 5 star. We're not looking the finest mattresses or 1800 thread count sheets. But cleanliness, wholesomeness, and professionalism are expected and at Hales Bar and you don't get that. The management/organization has major culture issues and most of the low level staff seems to have addiction problems.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I agree with BayouBengal.

Roberta

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

I will wait to cast my vote until after this weekend.

**** UPDATE*****
I cast My Vote to go to Blue water Resort.
I don't want to scrape my rub rail on exposed nail heads any more or stretch my bow line 20 feet away because most of the tie downs on the dock are broken or missing.
Hales bar used to be such a great place but it just keeps getting more and more run down. We were hard pressed to find safe dock space for 7 boats this year.
Last edited by CaptDave on Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capt. Dave
Builder of the Amp Eater Aquatron

AdamNMel

Post by AdamNMel »

I felt like Hales Bar was a decent venue, yes the old management wasn’t making very much progress on improvements, but once the new owner took over, while supposedly making improvements, seriously lacked in the department of taking care of its guests. If my wife and were going to come this year we were planning on staying elsewhere and just visit some. Done spending hard earned money at a place that doesn’t care if your even there.

kens

Post by kens »

The last 4 posts sort of reflected a conversation I had earlier this week with a forum member.
We have been there 9 years, and 3 different owners, and still, there has been NO IMPROVEMENTS in the maintenance.
I think enough said.........
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I think the only improvement was not having the crap pumped out by that crapboat. Probably had to stop that for health violations.

I also didn't care for those giant rollers coming through nearly putting the boats on the deck.

Roberta

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

I will wait to cast my vote until after this weekend.
That's not a bad idea, Dave. By the way, the way the poll is set up, you can change your vote all the way up until the end of October. So, if anyone attending this weekend has a change of heart, they can change their vote.

kens

Post by kens »

I think we should vote this weekend.
All the marinas I have talked to get booked up early, so in order to get a big enough block of rooms ,we should make up our mind at the G.
I have more info on BlueWater dayton marina, I'll post that on the other thread

Return to “Gathering 2020”