Anyone have a Zip or Flying Saucer

Misc. hardware, motors, etc. & Glen-L designed boats. Please do not use this site to re-sell boat plans by Glen-L or other designers.

Moderator: billy c

rondackr

Anyone have a Zip or Flying Saucer

Postby rondackr » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:45 pm

for sale? I love these boats but have neither the time or the talent to build one myself. Perhaps someone has a boat they would like to sell so that they can build themselves another.

gdcarpenter

Re: Anyone have a Zip or Flying Saucer

Postby gdcarpenter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:26 pm

My ZIP is for sale as I need to make room to restore a 1957 Century Palomino.
I am in Raleigh, NC if that matters.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:19 pm

This is why it is important to put your location in your profile.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

rondackr

Postby rondackr » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:52 am

I've heeded Bill's suggestion and added my location, Troy New York.

I'm willing to travel if I have to do get a nice boat. North Carolina is lovely and not so far away that I would exclude buying a boat from an owner there. My only experience with boats is with kayak's and sailboats. I have never had a boat with a motor and don't know anything about them apart that they seem damned expensive. My aging joints are starting to limit my kayaking and my wife is tired of getting wet in our sailboat so I have decided to give power boating a try. I have just learned about Glen L boats. They are a lot more appealing than what is available commercially. Because of my lack of knowledge and experience in this area, I don't feel I'm ready to make a decision on purchasing a boat immediately. I simply don't know enough about the boats, outboards and the resale value of home built boats to make an informed choice. My only experience with buying and selling a home built boat was a tandem kayak that I purchased. It had over two thousand dollars worth of materials invested in it. I bought it for nine hundred dollars, a price a regarded as a bargain. When I tried to sell it two years later, still in pristine condition, I got no offers over five hundred. I was told that is what to expect when you buy something that isn't a commercial product. It seems people would rather pay more to get a Tupperware boat than buy a beautiful handcrafted mahogany one.
I will give serious consideration to any boat offered for sale but I may not be able to commit to making a purchase immediately. Any advice anyone has to offer would be appreciated.

rondackr

Postby rondackr » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:29 am

Goodcarpenter, I wanted to send you a private message but that option is not yet open to me here. Please send me any pictures and information you may have on your Zip along with your asking price.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:00 am

Welcome rondackr,

Gdcarpenters Zip is a well built one. Its almost impossible to build one poorly and get it completed, if it looks good, it probably is. I wouldnt hesitate to buy anyone's boat off this forum. A lot of us have seen each others boats in person at the annual Glen-L Gathering in TN. There are some photos of it here. http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/zip-desi ... llery=1521 You can also find more photos of it from the 2013 Gathering on the homepage.

Buying and selling these is an interesting market. We build them spending years and countless hours on every detail. They become a part of you and even when it makes sense to sell them it can be hard to part with them. I built mine 8 years ago and every year I use it less and less but just passing by it in the garage everyday is part of the enjoyment of building it. Also, we spend all the money and time to build them and they may not be able to re-sold for what it cost to build so it makes sense to hold onto them. Just like restored antique boats it can sometimes be difficult to even re-coupe the cost of the build or restoration. With that said I think if you shop for new factory built boats and see the costs, these boats are a super value.

These glen-l boats require very little in the way of maintenance. They are sheathed in fiberglass cloth so you get all the benefits of modern boats, the wood doesnt have to swell and the varnish doesnt need touch up every year. My boat has been done 8 years and the only maintenance has been on the motor itself. Like many of these boats my motor is older, it is 43 years old, so things do need looked after. But, you could put a new motor on and all you would have to do is change the oils once a year and a water pump every 3-5 years. The best thing you can do for these boats to keep the maintenance to a minimum is to store them under roof, in a garage, boat house, covered lift, etc.

You need 3 posts before you can post pictures or private message.

Chris

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:48 am

Most people select a boat design that best suits their needs, then somewhere along the way select an engine. I had restored a 1959 Mercury Mark35A that sat in our family room for two years until the wife had had enough. I selected the ZIP design as it best suited my engine.

I built her over a two year period as a labor of love, like most all boat builders. I also used it to test and push my carpentry skills to new levels. I have now enjoyed her for the last five years or so.

There are two reasons she is up for sale. One is that I recently sold a boat access only cottage in Northern Ontario that I owned for almost 30 years. This was the 'home port' for the boat, and since that is gone so is the need for a boat. The other reason is that a I need the room to restore a 1957 Century Palomino 'wooden' boat as my next project.

She sits on a '61 "Champ" trailer that I totally restored. It has a 'state of the art' oil bath hubs on a brand new axle. I have towed her well over 5,000 miles over the years and all has been good.

The engine has been trouble free for me to date. I restored the engine, save for the power head, which still has the original factory seal. This engine is old, but these old Mercs are still quite desireable to aficionados. A newer engine could always be installed. She will run 30 MPH @ 5,600 RPM with the existing Merc.

I currently have a 1958 Merc Mark58 that I recently rebuilt for future use on the Centruy boat that I am restoring. This engine is currently on the ZIP waiting for spring to use the boat as test mule for the new/old engine. The ZIP will come with the Mark35A.

You could always use the search engine feature here to look at my posts over the years, both during and after her construction.

Once you have three (3) posts I understand you will be able to use the PM feature. I will try sending you a PM with more direct contact info for me should you wish to investigate further.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

rondackr

Postby rondackr » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:16 pm

My thanks to Vupilot and Goodcarpenter for your thoughtful responses. You boat is beautiful Good. Thanks for the pictures. I appreciate the comments about storage and maintenance Vu. I had a tentative agreement to buy a boat being sold in Florida. When my wife expressed reservations about spending so much money for "a wooden boat" I thought I'd better hold off. She sees a wooden boat as something that is less than durable and urged me to pursue my original interest, a Feather Craft.

The Florida Zip looked like a screaming bargain to me. A brand new engine, a brand new trailer, a boat that has yet to be in the water. It looked beautiful. The seller was asking only $3,500 more than the cost of the motor and trailer. I opted out in deference to my wife's reservations and because I didn't feel comfortable spending so much money on something I didn't know how to evaluate. I had no way of knowing what kind of adhesives were used or how well it was protected from potential water damage, among other uncertainties. What defense secretary Rumsfeld called,"The unknown unknowns" There was also the forty hour round trip to consider.

Since I have no experience with them, outboard motors are also difficult for me to evaluate. While I love the retro look of the old motors, I place a higher priority on reliability. I regret having to acknowledge that I have remarkably little mechanical aptitude.

Return to “For Sale”