genuine mahogany

Misc. hardware, motors, etc. & Glen-L designed boats. Please do not use this site to re-sell boat plans by Glen-L or other designers.

Moderator: billy c

Oyster

genuine mahogany

Post by Oyster » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:35 pm

I thought I would add this post for anyone especially building a wooden barrellback and needs quality mahogany. I have a bunch left over from a build years ago and I am in the process of cleaning out my shop and shed. This is 329 bd. ft. that consists of 6, 7, 8, and 10 inch wide x 9 and 10 lengths. All of the boards are 6/4" thick. There are 39 boards total. The wood is located in eastern North Carolina and can be shipped or delivered in the southeast to southwest to Texas the end of the month of Oct if someone buys it.
mahogany.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Re: genuine mahogany

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:19 pm

WOW! Wish I was building! Thanks Mike

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:31 am

Its some nice wood. And my bride has sad NO MORE BOATS. :( Hope you are doing well and got your bugs worked out of your cruiser and enjoying it. We have our cabin cruiser on the market after covering thousands of miles with it. Wife's arthritis has gotten her.

Shawn K

Post by Shawn K » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:32 am

I may be interested, I'm about to start a barrelback build. In fact I'm waiting on my plans now, so that tells you how early along I am in this process. The problem is I'm very nieve at this point about what I'm gonna need and what I'm gonna use. Also, I live in Northwest, Ohio and there's that. I will start researching what I'ts gonna take and will get back to you shortly if I think what you have will work. Thank You, Shawn K

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:48 pm

That's fine Shawn. There are several species of mahogany and several that are being used that do not have the color tones and grain as the traditional mahoganies . I will say that we always stain the wood too, which will maintain uniform grain and color long term.

Shawn K

Post by Shawn K » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:41 am

Oyster, I would like to talk further about your lumber, you say that its not all the same species? What exactly do you have? Are you looking to sell all at once or would you possible break it up? I guess what it would come down too, is your price and what the cost to ship it would be? I wouldn't even know how to go about shipping something like lumber.Well if you want to give me a price, like per board foot and maybe see what it would take to ship it, as far as cost go. and I'm new to the forum but I'm sure you can PM if you prefer doing things that way or whatever works for you. look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:02 pm

I may not have been clear. This wood is all the same. Its what most folks would know as Honduras Mahogany, or genuine mahogany. Some of the more available ones is African or a more dense and splintery when you saw it called Sapele . Both are also much darker and the grain is more coarse and or pronounced . This is a portion of the same wood with red mahogany stain on it. We always stain the wood for maintaining the shade and colors. I will send you a PM and we can chat further is your wish. I would like to sell it all together, which saves a lot of hassle since most people pick thru woods and consider certain grain patterns and grain direction when resawing the wood and gluing it down for complimenting contrasts.
Attachments
foward deck finished.JPG
fowardcoamingcapmoulding.jpg

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:13 pm

This is what it looks like outside and in the sun.
Attachments
Cape Lookout lighthouse , Simmons (2).JPG

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:41 pm

What are you asking for the lot?

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:48 am

The wood is still available for anyone interested in this species. I can meet anyone half way with it, if its a reasonable location, especially if its in the southern portion of the country almost anytime. Its really weather dependent of course. Upon checking shipping costs in reply to an inquiry, it can be shipped for approx. 350 bucks to a commercial carrier location.

Return to “For Sale”