ZIP & Mercury Mark 35A - Steering

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

gdcarpenter

ZIP & Mercury Mark 35A - Steering

Post by gdcarpenter » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:12 am

I've been absent for a bit as we relocated from CT to NC.

Currently restoring Mercury Mark 35A circa 1959 for the ZIP I will build next.

Mark 35A tilt tube is 1/2" ID - will a teleflex steering system work with this tilt tube?

I'm sure I found somewhere here before that someone had the same motor and had the motor castings bored out to accept a larger diameter tilt tube, can't find that post now.

Any and all help appreciated.

Garfield
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Mike Sea

Re: ZIP & Mercury Mark 35A - Steering

Post by Mike Sea » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:29 pm

The teleflex steering system will not work with the older motors but all you have to do is switch the clamp brackets and tube from a 1964 or later motor.
Hope this helps

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:44 am

I had a Mark 35A that someone made an adapter to use Teleflex cable.

They made two plates about 3" or so with two holes drilled in each plate,one the size of the tilt tube on the motor,and one the size of a newer tilt tube.Make the brackets just long enough to position the new tube in front of the clamp brackets.

Take the nuts off the old tilt tube and slide the plates on and refasten the nuts, positioning the new tilt tube in front of the clamp brackets with nuts on both ends.

works fine and you can still tilt the motor.

There are also brackets available that allow you to attach Teleflex cables.

This company has some that mount on the transom....click on steering:

http://www.trmarine.com/cat.html

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:51 am

Thanks for the input.

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:54 pm

Garfield, the post you couldn't find may have been mine. I adapted a Teleflex Safety QC system to our 1956 Merc Mark 55, which has the early, 1/2" ID tilt tube. The thread on these early tubes is 3/4--16 (UNF), while the Safety QC system cable requires 5/8" ID and a 7/8--14 thread. I have access to a lathe, so I obtained a section of #304 stainless bushing stock that conveniently had the correct dimensions (especially the .630" ID), making it a simple job of cutting the required threads. I did have to purchase a large chucking reamer to open up the clamps. If you can't find a post-'64 clamp assembly, you might take the whole mess to a local machine shop. I found the material for my tilt tube at Onlinemetals.com. Hope this helps.

Mark Shipley

Built the "Zip"
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:07 pm

Thank you Mr. Shipley! Maybe I don't have 'old timers' yet.

If it means anything I plan on building a ZIP once I get done with the Mark 35A, and for what it's worth I have the photo album of your ZIP build on my most visited bookmark bar.

Glad you got back to me, waiting for the paint that's on it's way and will now need to hustle to get the tilt tube remedied before painting.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, the larger tube install seems to be the most, shall we say, 'eloquent'.

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:20 pm

Just discovered that I can get a ready made stainless steel tilt tube, one less processing step.

Scoot68

Post by Scoot68 » Sun May 19, 2019 5:50 am

Moeregaard wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:54 pm
Garfield, the post you couldn't find may have been mine. I adapted a Teleflex Safety QC system to our 1956 Merc Mark 55, which has the early, 1/2" ID tilt tube. The thread on these early tubes is 3/4--16 (UNF), while the Safety QC system cable requires 5/8" ID and a 7/8--14 thread. I have access to a lathe, so I obtained a section of #304 stainless bushing stock that conveniently had kthe correct dimensions (especially the .630" ID), making it a simple job of cutting the required threads. I did have to purchase a large chucking reamer to open up the clamps. If you can't find a post-'64 clamp assembly, you might take the whole mess to a local machine shop. I found the material for my tilt tube at Onlinemetals.com. Hope this helps.

Mark Shipley

Built the "Zip"
Hi Mark,

My search of the web brought me to this thread and subsequently to your post.

I am about to follow what you did with your Mark 55, however mine is a Mark 35a.

It’s all clear what I need to do except when it comes to the tie rod. May I enquire what you used?

Rgds,

Scott W

Scoot68

Post by Scoot68 » Sun May 19, 2019 5:58 am

* tie rod = drag link

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Sun May 19, 2019 10:59 am

Hi, I bought a SS tilt tube of the right diameter and thread and drilled and reamed larger diameter holes in my Mark 35A and a Mark55. I fabricated my own bracket to connect the link to the engine, other options are available.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Scoot68

Post by Scoot68 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:37 am

Thanks very much for the info gdc. I have just bought a 7/8 stainless tilt tube and plan to have the clamps and saddle bracket machined to the correct diameter.
Wondering how you went about doing yours? Does it require disassembly of the motor to machine these parts...?

Rgds,

Scott

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:37 am

Wow--the length of this thread must be some kind of record! I believe I left one question unanswered. For the steering link I used a length of stainless-steel tubing, 3/8" OD X .063" wall. I tapped it internally for a 5/16" X 24 thread and installed a rod end on it. All of the materials were Swagelok-brand and purchased from McMaster-Carr. There's a photo of it in the Customer Photos page. Over ten years since launch and nothing has failed.

-Mark Shipley
One Zip, two Can-Yaks, what's next?
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

Scoot68

Post by Scoot68 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:17 pm

Thanks Mark for the info on the steering link. In your original post some 10yrs ago you mentioned...

"If you can't find a post-'64 clamp assembly, you might take the whole mess to a local machine shop."

This is what I plan to do however pardon my ignorance but would the machine shop be able to open up the diameter the saddle bracket
(orig tilt tube/ clamps removed) if I take the entire motor to them?
or do I need to disassemble down to the single part...

Rgds,
Scott

Return to “Boat Power”