Marinising 350 Chev

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

mjleguay

Re: Marinising 350 Chev

Post by mjleguay » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks Tunahelper, just had a look at those....so are you running a heat exchanger or raw water?

A dog clutch is an in or out transmission that's run off the timing cover end....you can select it in at 500rpm or less and it goes in with a crunch and then you're off. I've never used one but they are very common in Oz with ski boats. I haven't heard of them in the States so i'm guessing they're not so common? The one i've used is made by an Australian company called Kincaid Marine Rolco http://www.kmrolco.com
They're straightforward to install...they bolt on where the timing cover did and you slide on what's called a "nose dog" which has a keyway onto the crank and a set screw....you then drill in and insert a pin to also keep it there. A lever on the housing then meshes the two dogs together to engage it or pulls them apart for neutral.

I'll pop some photos up of it. If you want dimensions let me know and I'll post them up.

Marcus
Attachments
IMG_2163.JPG
IMG_2161.JPG

tunahelper

Post by tunahelper » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:06 pm

Marcus,

I'm running raw water.

That is a cool set up. It would fit perfectly in my rig. Are you in the sates or on the other side of the world? If you don't mind me asking, how many US greenbacks does one of those units go for? I am definitely interested.

Fran

mjleguay

Post by mjleguay » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi Fran,
I'm in Sydney, Australia.
The one I have (Rolco - which seem to be the most common) costs about $650 US with everything except the hand lever and connecting rod. All the parts are replaceable and quite easy, through the top plate to replace. The company I bought it off is called Cassell Marine www.cassellmarine.com.au. I know they ship worldwide (not sure of cost tho) and on they're website you can select any currency. I searched for quite a while on Ebay for a second hand one but they never come up.
Marcus

Al

Post by Al » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:48 pm

Paul,

Did you ever by chance get around to publishing the article on the rebuilding of Bruce dow's vintage 283 ? That would make for some great reading (and picture viewing of course posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=10276#).
You know that you're having a good day when you don't accidently drill a hole through the bottom of your boat !

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:23 pm

Al,

As soon as we get some free time I'll try to finish the article.

If you need an engine build fix, you can go to our Engine Page :
We've been busy adding another bay to the shop. We just finished the foundation yesterday. Plow truck and snowmobile repairs (and snowmobiling) will be keeping us busy for a while. Then back to finishing the boat ...

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com

Glen-L Boat Video Directory : http://www.kanecustomboats.com/pages/vi ... ctory.html
Last edited by Mr Hot Rod on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Al

Post by Al » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:21 am

Sounds good Paul. I'll be looking forward to it. Good luck with the building!
You know that you're having a good day when you don't accidently drill a hole through the bottom of your boat !

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:57 am

mjleguay wrote:Paul, thankyou for those photos, I appreciate you putting them up cause they're a great help. I've uploaded a photo to show the thermo blank....it just blocks off where the thermo housing/water outlet originally was.
Caber, I'm not sure if I have the crossover...are you able to tell from this photo?
IMG_2137.JPG
I was going to go with the crossover on mine "this is them on the top and the right of the photo" but in the end I went back to the circulating pump.

As you can see here I am using mercruiser wet exhaust the elbows can be put on facing front or back depending what way round you have the engine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4fw4e7_ ... ideo_title

Return to “Boat Power”