Exhaust System

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

mjleguay

Exhaust System

Post by mjleguay » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:25 am

Hi again guys.....Im back into the Audeen again after a few months off. Im now up to the exhaust and have a query. I've got my 350 chev in, and since im going flywheel forward i managed to get the motor quite low down with the least amount of shaft angle I could. The problem now is the exhaust. The manifolds i have are the log style ones so the exhaust outlet is not far above my stringers, which from reading the Glen-L book will require some backflow prevention. Im just trying to find out what my options are and the advantages/disadvantages of things like risers, surge tanks and "shoosh valves" etc and which system im better off with or a combination? Thanks guys, Marcus

Al

Re: Exhaust System

Post by Al » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:55 am

We should talk, since I am just about to finish up the same boat (Audeen). As for the exhaust, I have 8 " risers on my engine, with 90 degree elbows. I cut the elbows (aluminum) with a 15 degree cut at the knuckle, turned the lower half upside down and welded them back together. They now sit at something like 60 degrees and point more toward the transom of the boat.

I have been trying to get some pictures or information on mechanical steering systems and just what the the connection should look like. I'd be very interested to know what kind of a system and "hook up" you used for your steering.
Attachments
IMG_0006.JPG

Al

Post by Al » Sun May 29, 2011 4:04 pm

Marcus

I'm curious just how you fastened the outer edge of your floor boards ? i.e In and around the frames and above the chines. I know that there's probably a few ways to do this but so far I have not been able to find an example here on the forum.

How are things coming along ? Have you run your engine as yet and do you have a launch date in mind ?

Al
You know that you're having a good day when you don't accidently drill a hole through the bottom of your boat !

Krause87

Post by Krause87 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:54 am

Hey Al I know this is an old Post buy if you get this let me know. Ide like to talk to you about some of the stuff you inobayed on the Audeen.
Krause87

Al

Post by Al » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:18 am

Hi Krause,
Yes, I use my Boat regularity, 8th year now. Would be pleased to answer any questions about my Audeen. We love it.

Cheers

Al
You know that you're having a good day when you don't accidently drill a hole through the bottom of your boat !

Krause87

Post by Krause87 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:24 pm

Awesome!! Sorry for the improper introduction. My name is Cody Krause and I'm down here in Houston Texas. I will be starting my Audeen build end of December or beginning of January. I have read your write-ups on the boat as well as watched your short build video. I gotta say that is one beautiful vessel you've built. I've seen other Audeens but yours was the deciding factor for me. I noticed you had to perform some one off fabrication for items like the steering and exhaust. I will be running GM 305 in mine but imagine I might have to do the same sort of modifications.

So just a few questions to start.
1) What type of wood did you use for the frames and stringers?
2) If I saw correctly, is the hull two layers of 1/4" plywood?
3) What prop and how fast is she? (I plan on skiing and tubing behind mine)
Krause87

Al

Post by Al » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:30 pm

Hi Cody

The frames were all made of white oak but of course there are many other choices. White oak is readily avail up here in Ontario and reasonably priced.

The sides of the boat are 1/4 ply, but you will notice that I added a baton 1/2 way up the side of the boat for extra strength. The forward portion of the bottom is 2 layers of 1/4 inch ply (because of the curve). First layer nailed with 1inch galv nails, second layer screwed and glued of course. Back half of bottom-is 1/2 inch ply.

Prop is 13” by 10 pitch. (Also have 11 pitch spare). Very powerful, I.e. instant up and out of water on plane. Top speed somewhere between 30 and 40 mph at 2800 rpm. A higher pitch prop would be very fast but difficult to slow down for docking etc.

Drop a note anytime Cody. Love to talk Glen-l boats.

Al Neill

Krause87

Post by Krause87 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:13 pm

Thanks alot Al, I'm sure I'll be seeking a ton of knowledge in the future. I really appreciate your will to help out. Thanks again!!
Krause87

Return to “Boat Power”