18 hp Johnson Seahorse Saltwater compatible?

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

thinwater

18 hp Johnson Seahorse Saltwater compatible?

Post by thinwater » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:56 pm

I started a boat :o Its an AF4-Grande by Jim Michalak. I have a 18hp Johnson Seahorse Saltwater. I just got to wondering if it was saltwater rated. I've searched the Internet heavy and found one reference that it wasn't and one reference that it was. Both found entries were non official thread comments by individuals in different forums.

Anyone here know?

thudpucker

Re: 18 hp Johnson Seahorse Saltwater compatible?

Post by thudpucker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:46 pm

I don't know positively, but all my older OMC's up till 1970 were all good in Salt water. You didn't say what year your Johanson is.
You should rinse it off with Fresh water though. The internals are not bothered by Salt, but the outside stuff will sure corrode if you let the salt sit on it.

vettepilot

Post by vettepilot » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:03 am

We have a product here called Salt Away...just spray it on and stops corrosion while motor boat etc is on land...4ltrs lasts about 2yrs for my fiberglass boat and outboard motor. http://www.saltawayproducts.com/
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

galamb

Post by galamb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:56 pm

Modern "saltwater" outboards use some stainless steel parts in place of the regular "stuff" to provide additional corrosion resistance, but any outboard can be used in salt.

The key to "keeping it alive" is to flush it with freshwater after "every" use and if you leave the boat in the water, tilt the motor so that the lower unit is not submerged.

The "salt away" definately helps on the exterior components and you should lubricate all points specified in the owners manual at twice the rate they recommend (so if they say grease the tilt tube once a year, do it twice) and giving everything "under the hood" a spray with fogging oil or even WD-40 a couple times a season will also help prevent corrosion of the wiring and other connectors/linkages.

The first pic is what a little motor looks like that was not regularly flushed after running in salt (the anti-fouling paint on the lower unit didn't help much) - after almost 40 hours of restoration work I got it back to the the beauty in the second pic (an occasional flush would have been much less work - I restored it for my use after acquiring the motor - because the cost to restore would have far exceeded the cost of a brand new motor if I billed my time to complete the project for the original owner - this definately was a case of "not worth fixing" if you couldn't do it yourself) :)

One final note - the "before" picture was the motor at "age 5" - salt can "eat motors" in a relatively short period of time..
Attachments
61f9_3.jpg
Mariner.jpg
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

vettepilot

Post by vettepilot » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:09 pm

I use the Salt Away to flush engine after using in salt water...only takes 30secs tops...just leave it in there after you finish....Hose down Boat and Trailer...all good my Bass Barra boat over 20yr old
Attachments
30092010095.jpg
30092010096.jpg
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

Return to “Boat Power”