20HP vs 25HP Outboards

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

areame

20HP vs 25HP Outboards

Post by areame »

As it's starting to warm up there have been a lot more outboards for sale and while I still have some money it seems like a good time to get one. I'm building the Squirt and was originally going to go with a 20HP as it seems the most popular but I have also been seeing some 25HP with builders who had beefed up the transom. I was wondering if there was a big weight difference or a power difference between the two motors. I have done some research online and I read some articles saying a 20HP was just a beefed up 15HP and a 25HP was a weaker version of a 30HP. I had also read that the 25HP will maintain speed more when riding with extra weight but would have about the same max speed as the 20HP. I have no idea if any part of those are true but would just like some input on the subject. Thanks for any replies.

Bill Edmundson

Re: 20HP vs 25HP Outboards

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Top speed may not change much. But, there may be a big difference when you load up the boat.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

areame

Post by areame »

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to go with the 25HP then, unless I stumble on a good deal for a 20HP, since I will be running with one other person most of the time.

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

You may want to look at the CC's, bigger is better. More low end and can swing a higher pitch prop with more speed. Now if it is the same CC's it will be a RPM thing.Some time motor builders play with that and port timing.Take a look at the WOT rpm for the motors.Its the hole work over time thing. JMTC

Return to “Boat Power”