Inboard Maintenance

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

psychobilly

Inboard Maintenance

Post by psychobilly » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:01 am

Well I been needing to do some maintenance on my inboard... I know it's not a home built boat but it has a nice 454 in it and some may find this helpfull in theirs. :-) SKIDIM sent me a flier, "12% off my next order" so I figured I should go ahead and get it in! :-) All the parts below arrived today but I'm at work so they are going to have to sit in teh house till I get home... :-(

here's my list of goodies

THERMOSTAT 160 DEGREE
GASKET, T-STAT COVER
OJ2032B XPC BEARINGS 1" ID X 1-1/4" OD
FILTER FUEL SHORT
OJ PROP PULLER
DISTRIBUTOR CAP, MALLORY
IGNITION WIRE SET (454) 7MM
SPARK PLUG EACH GM STNDRD EGNS
ROTOR DISTRIBUTOR, MLRY
V-BELT 351/454
GASKET IMPELLER JOHNSON
BOLT SET COUPLING
Order Total: $ 280.16

The strut looks like the PO hit something and the cutlass is all worn out. I have checked shaft alignment twice now and it seems to be fine but I want to pull the shaft and check that it's not bent. I will be replacing the cutlass bearing with teh new white plastic style cutlass bearings. I'm curious to see how good they are. Since I'm pulling the shaft I went ahead and got me some new coupling bolts. I'm sure it's gunna be fun pulling the coupling off the shaft as the boat is a '91 and I'm sure it's never been removed...

I went ahead and got me a new belt too. I plan on putting the new one on and zip tie'n the old one to the water pump mount so that it's there in case of an emergency.

All the other goodies to freshen her up a lil. I plan on have'n teh camera at the ready and posting plenty of pics. hehehe

Bill Edmundson

Re: Inboard Maintenance

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:08 am

One word on impellers. Always install the new one and keep the old one as a spare, if it's not damaged. (You know it fits.)

I see you know that about belts. The point is if you need the spare, it's a bad time to find out you have the wrong part.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

psychobilly

Re: Inboard Maintenance

Post by psychobilly » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:21 pm

Yeah Bill, I'm gunna go ahead and run last years impeller, it's in the chair, in a zip lock. ;-) It's nice and fresh and only had about 5 hours on it.... We didn't make it to the lake too much last year as we had that young'n and all.... Plus I keep an extra in my tool box on board.

That got me to thinking too just now, on my MC it's a direct drive right, easy to work on, and I hear all the time from the boys with teh V drives (MCs) how much of a pain it is to change out impellers. This is something to really think about when I do actually start cutting wood and "doing it". You know, try and build it as user friendly as posible...

Return to “Boat Power”