E-TEC Baby!

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

jeffh

E-TEC Baby!

Post by jeffh » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:47 pm

I last ran the E-TEC on Oct 16 and forgot to winterize it before I pulled it out of the water. One of the best parts of the E-TEC is the self winterizing procedure. You can do it in the water or on the trailer at home. So after over two months, I spun her around in the garage on her wheel dollies and then:
1 Connected the hose
2 Pulled up the fast idle lever
3 Turned the key and it started in 1 second
4 Waited about 15 seconds until all the lights on the tach turned off
5 Pulled the fast idle lever back down
6 Waited about another 15 seconds until the lights on the tach turned off again
7 Pulled the fast idle lever back to full again at which time the speed of the engine increased and waited about 1 minute for the engine to turn off
8 Winterized!
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

Retroman
Location: Great South Bay, Long Island, NY. Building a Zip/Flying Saucer

Re: E-TEC Baby!

Post by Retroman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:37 pm

your "Livin The Dream"
RetroMan
Built A Zip/Flying Saucer. I do my boating on South Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY
Documenting my build on YouTube @ http://www.youtube.com/SuperUnknownMC

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:11 am

Have an ETEC at the cottage in Canada and cannot tell you how much I love the self winterizing feature! Seven years of being able to winterizer her in a few minutes followed by 40 below temperatures and every spring away she goes.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

gstanfield

Post by gstanfield » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:16 am

I guess it all depends on your personal definition of winterizing :wink:
I Peter 2:17

Caber-Feidh

Post by Caber-Feidh » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:23 am

gstanfield wrote:I guess it all depends on your personal definition of winterizing :wink:
agreed
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:53 am

Living in Fla, I've never had to "winterize", but I've seen my share of cracked lower units on E-Bay due to frozen water intrusion.

I've also seen water coming out of various places after sitting for a long while when the engine was tipped different position.

Not sure what miracle winterizing can be done through the magic of electronics,but I'm inclined to agree with Caber and gstanfield :wink:

jeffh

Post by jeffh » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:01 am

My idea of winterizing is following what it says in the owner's manual. Which is precisely what I did. If anyone is interested, there are quite a few things online and youtube about winterizing E-TEC engines. Service the engine every three years or every 300hrs and use the self winterizng procedure as detailed in the manual. The engine has a little over 200hrs, but it was serviced in August or September. I have it stored in my garage now which we don't allow to drop below 45-degrees F in winter. It will be kept on our lift at the lake in summer, but I think I'll keep her in the garage during the winter. It has been in the 20s a few times here at night, but no long periods of sub freezing weather yet. The self-winterizing feature fogs the cylinders and takes about 3-minutes max. Again, I was hesitant about posting this here because I knew the naysayers would pile on ;) Sorry lads, I'm not a mechanic and I don't like working on engines. I don't mind making saw dust and I did all the wiring and plumbing. I hung the engine and got all the lines and cables in position. But when it came to connecting to the engine and especially programming the computer, I left that to the Evinrude shop. After the near fiasco with the first E-TEC, I'm glad I did. That is why I take the 4stroke to a dealer for service every year and one of the reasons why I bought the E-TEC so I could at least do some of the service. This damn thing better not let me down after following the procedure and spending about $650 in dealer services :oops:
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

gstanfield

Post by gstanfield » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:04 am

Not being a naysayer so don't take offense to my comment. I understand exactly what Evinrude considers to be winterizing and it does prepare the powerhead for a winter nap. For me I also like to drain the lower unit and add new lube, just in case there is some water in there. I also take that time to check everything out real well so that it's ready to run the first nice day. I hate spring maintanace as that's time better spent fishing :wink:

Like I said, wasn't trying to be negative :D
I Peter 2:17

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:38 pm

I also think those of us in the colder climates need to also do some winterizing on the lower unit and flush any water out of the motor and lower unit to prevent any water freeze damage and corrosion. Seems the E-Tec self winterizing program does not address those issues. Does the E-Tec owners manual suggest any other pre-emptive maintenance for the mechanical parts of the motor besides the power head? If not, I would think it would be a good idea.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:04 pm

I remember winterizing back in Michigan. Hauling the boat out of the water, draining the fresh water tank, the last pump of the holding tank,running some Stable thru the engine, dumping the left over gas in the car, covering the boat. All we had was a 15 Merc to get us to the lake so it wasnt like some of the boats with inboards. We never did anything to drain any water out of the engine. We never even thought about it. We used the sailboat about 7 years like that. Probably never got more than 50 hours on the engine. We always changed the plugs in the spring but that was about it. Winterizing is a lot better now. We just dont go out on the water if the temps are below 72.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Caber-Feidh

Post by Caber-Feidh » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:06 am

Really seems like they are miking a big deal out of nothing.

Never did more than fog the motor, dump the gearcase, bowls, shoot RV antifreeze into the top vent line, and wrap a tarp around it. I don't see the etec "magic-dance" doing the single most important step... the gearcase.
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

vettepilot

Post by vettepilot » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:30 pm

Winterising to me is moving to a hotter area :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:50 am

vettepilot wrote:Winterising to me is moving to a hotter area :lol: :lol: :lol:
I like that!!!! Just keep migrating and stay in boating weather!!! Great!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:28 am

Works well for John and I!!! :wink: 8) 8)

Return to “Boat Power”