Adding Electic Start to a Merc Mk 30 Issues

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Wood Nut

Adding Electic Start to a Merc Mk 30 Issues

Post by Wood Nut » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:38 pm

I have gather all the parts I need to add electric start and remote choke to my Merc Mark 30 but have come across a couple of issues.

The first issue is the location of the starter solenoid. I see two likely locations. The first one would be on the side of the start as seen in Retroman's Mark 55 picture below.
104_8109.JPG
Retroman's Mark 55
The problem I have is with the size of my square plate recifier. It does not leave enough room for the starter solenoid to be mounted on the side of the starter. The starter is not shown in the picture. The round one shown next to it I think would leave enough room but it is fried.

Does anyone know where I might to able to get another round plate recifier?
DSC01269.JPG
Mark 30
The second place would be under the starter as shown in the picture below (again the starter is not shown). The problem here is that the starter solenoid terminals would hit the fuel line fittings behind it. I not even sure if this was a place they mounted the starter solenoid.
DSC01267.JPG
Mark 30
The last issue has to do with the mounting of the chock solenoid. As seen in the second picture I have to mount it with only one mounting bolt to have enough room for the plunger to travel.

Can I cut the plunger shorter so I could mount the solenoid with both mounting bolts?
Charlie K.
Building a Flying Saucer

vettepilot

Re: Adding Electic Start to a Merc Mk 30 Issues

Post by vettepilot » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:41 pm

Seem to recall some old mowers had them.....
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:00 am

Maybe make a small aluminum plate with 3 holes in it....1 into the engine,1 through the solenoid into the engine, and 1 bolt & nut supporting the end of the solenoid??

Retroman
Location: Great South Bay, Long Island, NY. Building a Zip/Flying Saucer

Post by Retroman » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Charlie,
I would mount the soleniod in the boat. You dont want a make shift mount to come loose and ground out your motor. It is a tight area, I would put it the boat where there is more room, and less metal. Thats how I ran last season with my johnson.

Jim
Attachments
101_7117.JPG
RetroMan
Built A Zip/Flying Saucer. I do my boating on South Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY
Documenting my build on YouTube @ http://www.youtube.com/SuperUnknownMC

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:47 pm

For clarification,I meant the choke solenoid

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:36 pm

Sounds like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Most Mercs I've seen have the starter solenoid monted to the side of the starter, and that's where the original wiring harness seem to fit and seems the safest place for it, the alternate starter solenoid mounting you showed I have never seen.

Perhaps you can relocate the rectifier or buy a smaller one, solid state units are now available as a retro fit. If you didn't like the price of a new rotor you are going to hate the cost of an original replacement rectifier.

As for the choke solenoid, on my '59 Mark 35A that solenoid has two bolts fastening it to the underside of the top cowl piece.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:32 pm

If you have troubles with those rectifiers you should be able to replace them with diodes. If I recall they are selenium plates but silicon should be fine for that purpose. Do they have 4 terminal or 3?
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Retroman
Location: Great South Bay, Long Island, NY. Building a Zip/Flying Saucer

Post by Retroman » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Looks to me as if, the plunger on the choke solenoid is going to fall out. It is extended out to far, in the open position. I would mount it correctly and make sure it in good working order. Look at my picture, the plunger is not extended as far in the open position.

Jim
RetroMan
Built A Zip/Flying Saucer. I do my boating on South Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY
Documenting my build on YouTube @ http://www.youtube.com/SuperUnknownMC

Wood Nut

Post by Wood Nut » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks for all the input guys.

Warren, I think that is a good option on the chock solenoid. I might even have come up with it if I took the time to sit in a chair with a cold beer and stare at it a little while. :lol: But it was a little late and I needed to get some sleep.

Jim, I did see what you are talking about, but I need enough travel to operate the chock thru it's full movement. It could probably move to the left a little bit from where it is shown but would not have enough room for the plunger to travel if I bolt it to the two holes. It could work bolted to the two holes with a shorter plunger. That's why I asked the question about cutting the plunger shorter.

gdcarpenter, I know some chock solenoids where mounted to the top cowl and I believe mine has the bolt holes but the parts I found are for the side mounting as shown. As for the wiring harness, I will have to make one up as I don't have one.

BTW, where was the internal harness plug orginally mounted?

I will be mounting the starter solenoid to the side of the starter and looking for a smaller recifier as the second location is well not an option as it hits the fuel line. I have seen prices of the newer replacement ones anywhere from $30 to $140. Not sure how they mount yet. To do this I will have to bend the bracket to match the curve of the starter housing. Shouldn't be to much trouble.

TrackHappy, it is a three terminal recifier.

Thanks again for all the input.
Charlie K.
Building a Flying Saucer

Return to “Boat Power”