Buyer Beware

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Roberta

Buyer Beware

Post by Roberta » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:01 am

Not having a lot of experience purchasing used outboards, I was mildly burned on both my purchases. Both the Merc 500 and the Merc 110 had lower unit issues, the seals in particular. If you read my thread on repairing the lower unit of the Merc 500 you know some of the problems I encountered. That motor needed a reseal and a new drive shaft due to severe pitting and corrosion of the sealing surfaces. I ran the Merc 110 yesterday for the first time since I bought it last fall. It started right up and ran perfectly, but the water pump soon gave out and I noticed a lot of oil in the tub I test ran the motor in. Most of my new gear oil was in there.

I ripped the lower unit down to the last piece and cleaned everything up. All the seals in the water pump were trashed and the seal in the shift shaft wasn't too good either. The driveshaft sealing surfaces appeared to be OK, though. I don't think this motor ever had the pump serviced, by the looks of it. In retrospect, I think the guy I bought it from may have drained the oil out to prevent it from being noticed during the test run.

It appears to be about a 50-60 buck fix, plus my time. Not too bad, since I got the motor fairly reasonable. This lower unit is almost a mini version of the Merc 500, so I was very familiar with repairing it.

My point is to be aware and maybe willing to spend some time and money on any vintage motor you may be interested in. Look for signs of foamy gray oil emminating from a prospective motor's lower unit. Check the lower unit oil. If you're not willing to do some repair, pass it up. Both motors needed repairs, but I think they will now both be reliable and I know better what I have.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Buyer Beware

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Great advice Roberta--thank you for that...

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Thanks, Gayle!!! I put the motor back together today and it now functions properly. The total damages was $40.00 including shipping of the parts. I found a new source for old Merc parts out in Vermont and they ship very fast. I ordered the parts last Sunday and they arrived today. WOW!! Three days. A link to Marine Engines is below.

Roberta

http://www.marineengine.com/

darthplywood

Post by darthplywood » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:03 am

I second that! I spent 2500.00 dollars on a 115 Evinrude (1996) and the lower unit went out on it less then 5 months after i bought it.

Always check the lower unit!

(of course...the whole experience did give me the excuse to talk my wife into a brand new outboard :twisted: )
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:17 am

I couldn't convince Rich that we needed a new motor. :( Maybe next year..

Roberta :D

Return to “Boat Power”