Yanmar Diesel

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

matt167

Yanmar Diesel

Postby matt167 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Just curious on this. Yanmar diesels come in marine and industrial engines. The common 2YM15 marine engine is pretty much identical in specification to the 2TNV70-HGE which is a stationary engine. I think they are the same engine but use different sumps.. I know there is about $4k difference. Surplus Supply has quite a few 2TNV70-HGE's for $995. Any reason these could not be converted or do diesels have to be USCG cert unlike gasoline engines? I know the obvious are needed with gas engines, like a marine ignition system and a spark arrestor, and marine injection/ carburation.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?Item=28-1818

http://www.frenchmarine.com/product/Yan ... 4hp-246-79
I have not been able to find a price on the 2MY15 but have found a couple sail boat forums with the mention of a $5,300 price tag with a repower.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Yanmar Diesel

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:30 am

I have a Yanmar 1GM in my sailboat. It has raw water cooling. It looks like a pretty stock engine. The only difference that I can think of is it has a zinc in the block.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

slug

Postby slug » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:39 am

I used a Kubota industrial diesel in my Titan. Difference from the marinized version ( Beta Marine)
Obviously no cooling interchange and water cooled exhaust. No transmission and drive plate. No mounts. No rad either. No panel. No raw water pump.

However; IF you are prepared to go as I did with a keel cooler and dry stack, ( which, incidently has worked out exceptionally well) I think it's a good deal.
You still need a transmission ($1700) bellhousing and drive plates ($450) Motor mounts $50 to $100 each ) Panel (?) and have to fabricate a cooler. ( Mine cost me about $400 as I built it myself...commercial ones run about $1500).
These motors are readily available in used (read older ) sailboats , so a donar system might help with the extras. I bought a used sailboat off a marina two years ago for $300 and sold $2500 in parts off it.
I looked at Kubota engines from the same company when I did mine. They were cheap as well, but the shipping would have killed me.

Doug

55chev

Postby 55chev » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:59 pm

i bought a Yanmar 2tnv70-hge..now this is what i think...it is designed as a stationary engine generator reefer etc. you can buy a radiator kit for it..why not just cool it that way..venting fresh air into the engine compartment should not be that diifficult in say a titan or sweet16..or am i missing something here..Mike.. also, any of you guys have any ideas as to who's design my tug is.check out what is it in powerboats

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:10 pm

55chev wrote:i bought a Yanmar 2tnv70-hge..now this is what i think...it is designed as a stationary engine generator reefer etc. you can buy a radiator kit for it..why not just cool it that way..venting fresh air into the engine compartment should not be that difficult in say a titan or sweet16..or am i missing something here..Mike.. also, any of you guys have any ideas as to who's design my tug is.check out what is it in powerboats
In any inboard you would be hard pressed to get enough air flow to cool the motor most closed cooling systems are on the skeg/keel or bottom of the boat using surrounding water to cool the radiator or such system. also you would also need to run water through the exhaust system unless you go dry stack. in the hull of a boat there just is not enough air flow to keep motors cool. :roll: :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

55chev

Postby 55chev » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:03 pm

thanks Rod,dry stack??i'm a newbie to boats :lol: Mike

55chev

Postby 55chev » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:05 pm

any idea where i can get info on purchasing the keel cooling thingy??

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:04 am

55chev wrote:thanks Rod,dry stack??i'm a newbie to boats :lol: any idea where i can get info on purchasing the keel cooling thingy?? Mike
dry stack exhaust is similar what you see on semi trucks they are not used that much in the type of boats we build. I have seen where other builders have built there own keel coolers but I have not seen a place to buy one even though I know they are out there. so somebody else will have to help you out, my self I am going conventional on my cooling system :roll: :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:20 am

A good stainless fabrication shop should be able to make you one. A header each end with a through hull fitting and tubes welded into the header is pretty normal. Size is difficult to specify, but probably more based on the size of your boat than anything. As long as you have a thermostat bigger won't be a problem. If you made one and it turned out too small, just make a mate for the other side I guess. Small engine, say 3 feet long with 3 5/8" OD tubes should do the trick but do some research first.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

eecasper

Postby eecasper » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:15 am

slug wrote:I used a Kubota industrial diesel in my Titan. Difference from the marinized version ( Beta Marine)
Obviously no cooling interchange and water cooled exhaust. No transmission and drive plate. No mounts. No rad either. No panel. No raw water pump.

However; IF you are prepared to go as I did with a keel cooler and dry stack, ( which, incidently has worked out exceptionally well) I think it's a good deal.
You still need a transmission ($1700) bellhousing and drive plates ($450) Motor mounts $50 to $100 each ) Panel (?) and have to fabricate a cooler. ( Mine cost me about $400 as I built it myself...commercial ones run about $1500).
These motors are readily available in used (read older ) sailboats , so a donar system might help with the extras. I bought a used sailboat off a marina two years ago for $300 and sold $2500 in parts off it.
I looked at Kubota engines from the same company when I did mine. They were cheap as well, but the shipping would have killed me.

Doug
where did you find the bellhousing and drive plate? I have a Z482 and am unable to find the items to mate up to my twin disc mg 340. Thanks, Erik

kens

Postby kens » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:58 am

Dry Stack exhaust still uses a water cooled manifold. The difference in dry stack and wet exhaust is that dry stack exits the exhaust dry, and the exhaust water is plumbed to go overboard separate from the exhaust gasses.

Wet exhaust both exhaust gasses and water go overboard together.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

slug

Postby slug » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:36 pm

My adapters came from the Kubota dealer but were sourced from a company in Michigan I think called Hayes if memory serves me. No numbers or invoices now as boat Is gone. Check the web under drive plates or clutches. There are commercially available keel coolers but are expensive. There Is a formula for estimating the size of the cooler in a book by Dave Gerr.

Doug

slug

Postby slug » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:40 pm

Incidently, I did not use a water cooled manifold on my keel cooled dry stack Kubota.

Doug

Return to “Boat Power”