Buick/Rover 215 aluminum v-8 exhaust manifolds

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Lil Jon

Buick/Rover 215 aluminum v-8 exhaust manifolds

Postby Lil Jon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:38 pm

I am considering casting a few sets of aluminum water cooled exhaust manifolds to fit the Buick/Olds/Pontiac/Rover 215 cu in aluminum v-8 engine. I have two different vintage pair of manifolds to copy, Gray Marine and Edelbrock. My version will be similar to the Edelbrocks and will use the Glenwood #707 or 708 elbows. At the present time there isn't anyone producing a manifold for this engine and I believe that Nicson was the last manufacturer to offer them.
If I do this I will also cast and machine aluminum bellhousings to fit this engine block to a velvet drive transmission.
The 215 with ex manifolds and bellhousing installed weighs about 320 lbs., that's less than most v-6 engines. This engine is not a high rev engine, or high horsepower in stock form. (150 hp @4000- low compression/ 200 hp @ 5000- with high 11:1 compression).
One of the things that is appealing about the 215 is that it sounds like a V-8 instead of a 4 or 6 cylinder or 2 stroke weedwhacker as many boat builders find themselves using for power in small inboard boats.
I was wondering if there would be any interest out there for 215 marine manifolds and bellhousings?
Jon

steveh41

Re: Buick/Rover 215 aluminum v-8 exhaust manifolds

Postby steveh41 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:53 pm

Jon,

How much would it cost for a set?

Regards,

Steve Hansen

Lil Jon

Postby Lil Jon » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:30 pm

I think I can offer a pair of new manifolds for around $725. and the bellhousing $250.

Lil Jon

Postby Lil Jon » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:40 pm

The cool thing is that you can pick up a Rover 4 liter at most any junk yard for around $1200. Mark at D&D Fabrications can help you on anything for the 215 or Rover variants.
http://www.aluminumv8.com/index.htm

kens

Postby kens » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:33 am

that would be cool. Im interested in a set.
I got a pair of iron manifolds in the shed.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:56 am

I'd be interested in a set too. What's your time frame?

Lil Jon

Postby Lil Jon » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:24 pm

I had a set of the iron manifolds about 15 years ago that were burned out from the inside to the water jacket. Someone had filled in the holes with Bondo, painted them and sold them as being ready to use. I hot tanked them, found the bondo and eventually got my money back. I'm glad that didn't work out anyway, those iron manifolds I had were really ugly and heavy.
As far as time frame for completing a few sets? I'd say I might have them ready by January, no later than March 2013. There still in just the design stage on my Autocad. I still have to make the patterns, then make castings, then set up to do the mill work. I will do the mill work on a CNC mill that way once I have my fixtures made and programs written I can complete additional sets in a timely manner. I'll post photos when I have the rough castings, and more when I have a finished pair.

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:00 am

That sounds great Jon. March time frame would be just fine...no rush. Looking forward to seeing a finished set.

Regards,

Steve Hansen

hugger69

Postby hugger69 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Lil Jon wrote:I had a set of the iron manifolds about 15 years ago that were burned out from the inside to the water jacket. Someone had filled in the holes with Bondo, painted them and sold them as being ready to use. I hot tanked them, found the bondo and eventually got my money back. I'm glad that didn't work out anyway, those iron manifolds I had were really ugly and heavy.
As far as time frame for completing a few sets? I'd say I might have them ready by January, no later than March 2013. There still in just the design stage on my Autocad. I still have to make the patterns, then make castings, then set up to do the mill work. I will do the mill work on a CNC mill that way once I have my fixtures made and programs written I can complete additional sets in a timely manner. I'll post photos when I have the rough castings, and more when I have a finished pair.

Hi Jon!
I'm also very interested in a pair of manifolds for my Rover 215. I would like them a.s.a.p though! ;) do you have any pics of them and the elbows? The manifolds on the engine now is home made in stainless steel and never tested irl!
My boat is from 1937 and was originally equipped with a Ford flathead V8. It's constructed and built in Stockholm, Sweden. Here's some pics:

Last edited by hugger69 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hugger69

Postby hugger69 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:10 pm

...se my answer below instead!
(I´m, not used to this with posts needing to be approved each time! :oops: )
Last edited by hugger69 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hugger69

Postby hugger69 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:14 am

Lil Jon wrote:I am considering casting a few sets of aluminum water cooled exhaust manifolds to fit the Buick/Olds/Pontiac/Rover 215 cu in aluminum v-8 engine. I have two different vintage pair of manifolds to copy, Gray Marine and Edelbrock. My version will be similar to the Edelbrocks and will use the Glenwood #707 or 708 elbows.
Jon

Is it possible to choose any of standard riser/elbows from the most common egnines, or is that what Glenwood offers?
Otherwise I´d like the no 710 or similiar riser/elbow from Glenwood due to the fact that my outlet is very near the waterline in height!
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hugger69

Postby hugger69 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:33 am

This is how my vavle covers look, they´re going to be mounted next year when the engine is up & running:

...maybee the manifolds could look like this also? :wink:
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

Lil Jon

Postby Lil Jon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:14 pm

I have a meeting at the foundry tomorrow to discuss the wood patterns for the manifold. There is not going to be a left or right to these manifolds, it will be a log type open at both ends. An aluminum plate will be installed on one end and your choice of Glenwood elbow or riser (with 4" flange) will mount on studs on the other end. These will weigh approximately 5-1/2 lbs each without elbows.

hugger69

Postby hugger69 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Lil Jon wrote:I have a meeting at the foundry tomorrow to discuss the wood patterns for the manifold. There is not going to be a left or right to these manifolds, it will be a log type open at both ends. An aluminum plate will be installed on one end and your choice of Glenwood elbow or riser (with 4" flange) will mount on studs on the other end. These will weigh approximately 5-1/2 lbs each without elbows.

Sounds great Jon! :D
But what do you mean with wood pattern? Is it the plug for the manifold you refer to or?
Very intelligent to just make one manifold to fit both sides! :wink:
Where are you supposed to fit the water in- and outlets? Do you have any pics?
.....I'm so eager on this one...... :lol:
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

Lil Jon

Postby Lil Jon » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:20 pm

I met with the manager of operations at the foundry and with his pattern maker this morning. I understand the casting process considerably more now but I'm not willing to spend the $12000. they quoted to build the patterns, so I'm building the patterns and core molds myself.
The pattern to make the outside shape of the manifold which makes the impression in the sand mold will be made from hardwood. The inside of the exhuast chamber and the port runners will be formed with a special sand that will be molded prior to inserting in the casting mold. The water cooling jackets are the tricky part. Since the water jacket is so narrow it will require a very special type of sand and bonding agent that is formed in a mold, then baked to a near brittle hardness. Both of the cores, the one for the exhaust and the ones for the water jacket will then be placed in the casting box after the wood pattern has made the impression in the green sand. The cores will be located by means of keyways in the end of the casting box. And that's all there is to it!
I'm not going to show any drawings yet, but I will post some photo's as I finish the patterns and core molds.
The water in and out will be through the end cap that will bolt to one end. The water will flow from the front to back then to the front and out by means or baffles inside the water chamber.
The top of the manifold will have some decorative fins that can be polished is desired. The manifold design will allow ample space to remove and replace spark plugs.

Return to “Boat Power”