Buick/Rover 215 aluminum v-8 exhaust manifolds

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

58cc

Re: Buick/Rover 215 aluminum v-8 exhaust manifolds

Postby 58cc » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:29 am

actually, i looked into my own question and i found out that all enclosed inboard engines must have double wall wet exhaust manifolds. so that means welded tube double wall headers (expense and short life) or cast manifolds like we all know and probably dont love. carry on jon.

Caber-Feidh

Postby Caber-Feidh » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:18 pm

58cc wrote:i am a mechananic, automotive and marine, and the 215 and its various family of engines have a singular exhaust port spacing and bolt pattern so the manifolds have to be made to fit that head. it is a sad marine engine fact. i was wondering about tubular headers with water jets at each port as i have seen on some boats with modified engines for racing or high horsepower. they just inject the water right at the exhaust port of each cylinder and the individual pipes are cooled. anyone know more about this?

Allot more to them than just hosing down the gas stream. wet headers have to cut water flow at idle, if they don't, reversion creates a risk of locking the engine, or water in the tubes leaking past rings to dilute oil after the engine is stopped. Simple systems in a jet drive typically tap the bowl pressure, and use a ball and spring to close the flow below a preset pressure. More elaborate systems use an RPM and throttle position switch to start the flow, and regulate volume.

Wet headers are a hotrod toy,The concept was more a way of satisfying old USCG requirements at the time. They don't meet requirements for any enclosed engine, or in any boat not operated by a person familiar with the system. There are just too may things to go wrong.

Wet headers do not cool the tubes enough to be safe in an enclosed compartment, or anywhere people may come in contact with them. After a nice long trip through a no wake zone they will be every bit as hot as the header in an automotive app. Hot tubes provide an ignition source.
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

58cc

Postby 58cc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:30 am

thanks for the additional input. when i first saw them i thought, wow what a nice solution, but as i learned more about the injection systems i found out how problematic they can be and not at all ok for enclosed engines. oh well.

58cc

Postby 58cc » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:04 am

one other thing to consider, every picture of the 215 i have seen is set up with a closed cooling system with a heat exchanger for protection when used in salt water. i noticed the exhaust manifolds are different for fresh water systems. just something to think about.

slug

Postby slug » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Really, why bother?

hugger69

Postby hugger69 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Any progress, Jon? :D
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

Lil Jon

Postby Lil Jon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:56 pm

Progress on the 215 manifolds has had to wait until I get some other projects ( some that actually make money) out of the way. This 215 project will eventually happen but I do have a couple of other projects in the shop right now that I must take care of in a timely manner so I don't lose a regular customer. These manifolds when finished will be good quality castings and the machine work will be accurate. I will also have cast aluminum bell housings to mate the 215 to the Borg Warner Velvet drive. I am also going to offer a water pump block off plate. In my experiments with the 215 in a marine environment I found the automotive water pump is not necessary on a boat when using a marine type water pump. I also designed a water pump mount to adapt a Sherwood belt driven marine water pump to bolt to the left front head. All of these items will be available from me in time, I hope sooner rather than later.
Thanks for your patience and interest.
Jon

hugger69

Postby hugger69 » Fri May 24, 2013 5:54 am

My handmade manifolds that came with the engine is no moore!! :evil:
They were a good example of extremly bad craftmanship, sad to see! :cry:
...the cooling water was spraying the inside of the hull with cascades of water...... :(

So I really need a pair of manifolds in this very moment...... :!:
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

fergal butler

Postby fergal butler » Fri May 24, 2013 6:11 am

These might be worth a call http://www.barrmarine.net/graymarine.html I hear they do manifolds for rover too.
Good luck.

hugger69

Postby hugger69 » Fri May 24, 2013 6:23 am

fergal butler wrote:These might be worth a call http://www.barrmarine.net/graymarine.html I hear they do manifolds for rover too.
Good luck.

Thanx, I will contact them asap! :D
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

283cuin

Postby 283cuin » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:18 am

I have been interested in the 215 cu.in. Oldsmobile since I saw my first one in 1962. I still have a Hot Rod magazine from March of 1985 with an article "Low-Buck Aluminum V8s & Power Parts". While the seven page article features D&D, it also has a wealth of technical information and makes interesting reading for BOP fans.
I will be happy to scan the article and email it to those who are interested.

Regards, Gene

Lil Jon

Postby Lil Jon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Just an update on this manifold project.
I thought I had it all finished but the casting foreman at the foundry said my core molds were not correct and the cores would not remain in place during casting. I will build new core molds starting in August and then try again.
Also, I changed the design just a little from my initial prototype. The water inlet and outlet will come in the side of the log manifold about 2" from each end instead of flowing from the end of the manifold. This will reduce the complexity of the water jacket cores.
I hope to have manifolds by the end of this year.
Jon

hugger69

Postby hugger69 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:20 pm

I´m glad to hear from you Jon! :D
It´s just this small hints that are enough for us out here to know.... :wink:

Keep the good work up Jon and stay tuned!
....and have a nice vacation now! 8)
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

hugger69

Postby hugger69 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Here is a company in England that already make what we are looken for! Maybee not as pretty but very functional and well built in aluminium!
Look at page 14 here: http://www.lancingmarine.com/pricebook/files/index.html

I've skipped the plan for the Rover engine and now I' m going for the original engine for my boat- a Ford flathead!! I've just found one here in Sweden that's been in a similiar boat from 1953 and hopefully it will fit my boat as well! Flathead parts are easy but the marine parts for Flatheads are even more hard to find than for the Rover/Buick! My engine are complete but I don't know the condition yet cause the engine is on it's way as I'm writing this.....

Se ya!
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

Lil Jon

Postby Lil Jon » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:41 am

Hakkan,
I hope the Ford project works for you so you can get back on the water. I'm sorry it's taking so long with the Buick manifolds, they will be ready to ship one of these days.
Jon

Return to “Boat Power”