Buick/Rover 215 aluminum v-8 exhaust manifolds

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

hugger69

Re: Buick/Rover 215 aluminum v-8 exhaust manifolds

Post by hugger69 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:02 am

Lil Jon wrote:Hakkan,
I hope the Ford project works for you so you can get back on the water. I'm sorry it's taking so long with the Buick manifolds, they will be ready to ship one of these days.
Jon
Hi Jon,
I´m glad to hear that you finished the project! :)
It could still be interesting when I sell the Rover to someelse nowing that they can buy new manifolds for it! :)

What would it take you to make one for the Flathead aswell?
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

Trevone

Post by Trevone » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:40 am

Did the manifold thing for Rover v8s ever happen?

DesmoDog

Post by DesmoDog » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:20 am

Do the Rover engines/heads share exhaust manifold details with the Buick engines?

This place in the UK lists manifolds/risers and a bell housing for the Rover engines.

http://www.lancingmarine.com/pricebook/pricebook.html

Page 14 has the listing and a picture of the manifolds and risers.
-Craig

hugger69

Post by hugger69 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:46 am

DesmoDog wrote:Do the Rover engines/heads share exhaust manifold details with the Buick engines?

This place in the UK lists manifolds/risers and a bell housing for the Rover engines.

http://www.lancingmarine.com/pricebook/pricebook.html

Page 14 has the listing and a picture of the manifolds and risers.
I mentioned this in August! :roll:
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

DesmoDog

Post by DesmoDog » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Ok, but will the Rover parts fit a Buick engine too?
-Craig

Lil Jon

Post by Lil Jon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:26 am

Craig,
Yes, the Rover, Buick and Olds share the same exhaust flange pattern.
I looked at the manifolds from Lancing marine. Interesting, they look like they will work great in a boat that has plenty of space between the engine and deck. They appear to be a welded seam manifold, not sure if they are stainless or aluminum. They may not be what someone looking for a nostalgic hot rod style is looking for, they appear to be functional but very pricey!
Lansing's price for manifold pair and required riser is 1012 British pounds, that converts to $1,640. US dollars.
My cast aluminum manifolds will be $800. per pair. Look for photo's of my manifolds early next year on this thread.
Jon.

DesmoDog

Post by DesmoDog » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:24 am

Thanks for the info, Jon.

My needs may have changed though. I stumbled onto a Buick engine that was described incorrectly as a 215 Nailhead. Looking into it further the description didn't list much, but under condition it was mentioned it had been taken out of a boat. I put in what I thought was a low bid thinking I'd never get it, but no one else bid so tomorrow morning I'm heading out to pick it up. Six hours each way... oops. I thought it was closer.

Anywhos, it has Stokes Marine manifolds on it and coems with a marine water pump. I'm not sure what transmission it comes with, the ad stated a gray marine. I would think that is a rebranded unit from??? In any case I'm hoping a Velvet Drive will bolt up to whatever bellhousing it has. Otherwise, I'll be anxiously awaiting the bellhousing you come up with!

This all assumes I can mod a Ski King to work with it. I've crunched a lot of numbers but they're all based on assumed dimensions. It's close, so changing my assumptions slightly makes all the difference. Until I have it in front of me to measure I won't be sure what it will take. If it's too much of a hassle I'll be reselling it/parting it out and resuming my search for a flywheel forward 283... but I'm pretty sure that stretching the boat 10% and adding a curved transom would be more than enough to make it work.
-Craig

Lil Jon

Post by Lil Jon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:05 pm

Craig,
I saw the engine your talking about on ebay. I contacted the seller and had him send more photo's. The engine is still attached to the boat stringers and transom! He chainsawed the boat up and left he engine attached to the transom, and it has a stern drive attached also!

Lil Jon

Post by Lil Jon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Craig,
In the photo's the seller sent to me it does have a bellhousing on it, I believe it's a 2 pc design that was sold by Graymarine, I don't think there is a transmission attached but that bellhousing will accept a velvet drive. I have one like that, I also have a later model cast bellhousing from Graymarine which is what I am copying.
Jon

Lil Jon

Post by Lil Jon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Craig,
You scored a good deal on that purchase-- the manifolds are worth the $500. you paid for the whole thing.

DesmoDog

Post by DesmoDog » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:07 pm

Lil Jon wrote:Craig,
I saw the engine your talking about on ebay. I contacted the seller and had him send more photo's. The engine is still attached to the boat stringers and transom! He chainsawed the boat up and left he engine attached to the transom, and it has a stern drive attached also!
Stern drive? Dang, he said lower unit, I assumed transmission! :oops:

I knew it was still on the stringers. I just hope I can get it loaded tomorrow. I'm taking along an engine hoist and tools... the hope is I can lift it and back a trailer under it.

I figured the manifolds would be worth the price of admission, the rest was just sort of bonus points. Good news on the bellhousing.

Any chance you could send the pics to me?
-Craig

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:47 pm

DesmoDog wrote:
Stern drive? Dang, he said lower unit, I assumed transmission! :oops:

I knew it was still on the stringers. I just hope I can get it loaded tomorrow. I'm taking along an engine hoist and tools... the hope is I can lift it and back a trailer under it.

I figured the manifolds would be worth the price of admission, the rest was just sort of bonus points. Good news on the bellhousing.

Any chance you could send the pics to me?
stern drives transmission are built into them and are part of the system. also in most your exhaust is ran into the down the leg like in a outboard.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

DesmoDog

Post by DesmoDog » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:25 am

DesmoDog wrote:I knew it was still on the stringers. I just hope I can get it loaded tomorrow. I'm taking along an engine hoist and tools... the hope is I can lift it and back a trailer under it.

A follow up and then I'll stop highjacking this thread.

It was a long day, but I was able to pick up the engine last Saturday. Around a six hour drive each way, plus it took me two hours to load the trailer. Long story short there are no horror stories to tell, the trip home was uneventful. The next day I pulled the engine and decided my main goal was to get rid of everything else as soon as possible. I listed the rest on Craig's list for free - pick up the remains of the hull and keep the outdrive. After a guy who lived about ten minutes from me flaked out and didn't show within two and a half hours, I called the next guy who responded and by about 8:30 that night it was gone. Yeah, I may have missed out some money but it was worth it to have the hull gone too. Now I just have to figure out how to get the engine from my garage into my (walkout) basement.

The only bummer so far is, when the engine was hooked up to the outdrive, someone modded the bellhousing to fit the outdrive's bolt pattern and they did a hack job of it, going at the existing bolt holes with a die grinder and making them sort of ovals. Not a terribly hard fix but still. I'll start a different thread when I get a bit more organized.

Now I'm trying to figure out what it will take to make a Ski King fit around it. Getting back on subject, sort of... what I'd really like to see is a bellhousing to use this engine in a flywheel forward configuration!
-Craig

Lil Jon

Post by Lil Jon » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:25 am

Craig,
When you say flywheel forward, are you running this in a V-drive configuration or are you connecting the prop shaft to the snout of the crank?

DesmoDog

Post by DesmoDog » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:49 am

When you say flywheel forward, are you running this in a V-drive configuration or are you connecting the prop shaft to the snout of the crank?
The desire would be to run it with a damper plate mounted on the snout of the crank. A marine transmission (71c or whatever) would then couple with the damper plate. Basically the same set up Chris Craft used, like the engine in Dwain's Ski King, only using the Buick engine instead of a 283.
-Craig

Return to “Boat Power”