Buick/Rover 215 aluminum v-8 exhaust manifolds

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Joris

Re: Buick/Rover 215 aluminum v-8 exhaust manifolds

Postby Joris » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:18 am

Graig,

What are the advantages of that set-up? Just curious, trying to fit all pieces together here too :wink:

Thanks,
Joris

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:04 am

Joris wrote:Graig,

What are the advantages of that set-up? Just curious, trying to fit all pieces together here too :wink:

Thanks,
Joris

Because the engine is mounted at an angle, if you put the flywheel end forward you can mount the engine lower in the boat. Assuming you don't change the shaft angle, mounting it lower also means it's further back. Lower and further back makes it fit into a smallish boat like the Ski King better...

I plan on starting a new thread when I get the time to start mocking things up. I'm guessing going to a dry sump might be another way to improve the fit, but I haven't had the time to play around with everything yet. And you'd need to find room for an oil tank then. The nice part is, the Rover engine seems to be popular in some circles so there are aftermarket options on a lot of the details.
-Craig

Lil Jon

Postby Lil Jon » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:55 pm

Craig,
I had room in my 12' Tiny Might to install the Buick with bellhousing and Velvet drive 71-C in the standard fashion of flywheel rear. If I can do that I don't see why you would not have plenty of room in your ski king?
Remember, the Buick is shorter than the 283 and has a shallower oil pan, even in the rear.

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:58 am

Lil Jon wrote:Craig,
I had room in my 12' Tiny Might to install the Buick with bellhousing and Velvet drive 71-C in the standard fashion of flywheel rear. If I can do that I don't see why you would not have plenty of room in your ski king?
Remember, the Buick is shorter than the 283 and has a shallower oil pan, even in the rear.

Very interesting... are there details of your Tiny Might build anywhere? The one with a 215 I see in the photos section here uses a FF set up with no transmission. The problem I'm getting with the Ski King is the engine is pushing the front seat forward, even with stretching the hull. This is all based on spreadsheets and some assumptions about dimensions though. With a Tiny Might there's no front seat to deal with.

I did a quick measurement of the 215 and to me it looked like it was only about half an inch shorter than a 283? Of course a lot of this depends on the length of the water pump so there may be space to be gained there using different parts. I haven't gotten far enough to take into account any differences in the pan depth but that would help a lot.

I am hoping to start a new thread sometime this weekend so I don't have to highjack yours. I've got questions about rudder/prop placement and prop/strut sizes. That also has to be worked out before I can figure out where the engine will sit.

I've got the Tiny Might plans too. It would be an easier boat to build given my workshop space and it seems there are a few out there with a 215 in them already. Maybe I should go to plan B for my boat choice and copy what has already been done! 8)

EDIT: Today I spent some time downstairs measuring things and then played around with the numers. It looks like flywheel forward wouldn't be much of a benefit here. Taking the numbers Paul Kane has on his site, the transmission flange would be at 3.5" above the keel for a flywheel forward Chevy. I should be able to get to around 4" on the 215 with the traditional layout. That's good news! I didn't bother mocking up a flywheel forward orientation on the 215 since the traditional layout should work as well as it does.
-Craig

hugger69

Postby hugger69 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:05 am

Lil Jon wrote:Craig,
Yes, the Rover, Buick and Olds share the same exhaust flange pattern.
I looked at the manifolds from Lancing marine. Interesting, they look like they will work great in a boat that has plenty of space between the engine and deck. They appear to be a welded seam manifold, not sure if they are stainless or aluminum. They may not be what someone looking for a nostalgic hot rod style is looking for, they appear to be functional but very pricey!
Lansing's price for manifold pair and required riser is 1012 British pounds, that converts to $1,640. US dollars.
My cast aluminum manifolds will be $800. per pair. Look for photo's of my manifolds early next year on this thread.
Jon.

The Lancing Marine ones are made of stainless steel! I agreee that thay are more functiuonal then good lookin... :roll:
...and a bit over priced but how many do you think they sell a year? :wink:
Lil Jon, you don´t have any pics of your manifolds yet? :D
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

pamelalynne1

Postby pamelalynne1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:45 am

John, Let me know if you get this project finished. The Rover engine would be a good option if I go ahead with a Tiny Mite.

MetalHed

Postby MetalHed » Tue May 12, 2015 3:34 am

Jon,

Any update on the Buick 215 Manifold Project?

JaTro

Postby JaTro » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:42 am

Anybody willing these manifolds, they are available in UK, Europe.
See below site.
http://www.lancingmarine.com/pricebook2013/page16.html

hugger69

Postby hugger69 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:41 am

JaTro wrote:Anybody willing these manifolds, they are available in UK, Europe.
See below site.
http://www.lancingmarine.com/pricebook2013/page16.html

That´s the ones I referred to, two years ago...! ;)
Best regards,
Hakan in Sweden
www.hakansmotorsida.com

Buehler

Postby Buehler » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:33 pm

:o Found these on a boat I bought.With a motor that looks like it runs good. :o
Attachments
20160917_144035.jpg
20160917_144056.jpg

283cuin

Postby 283cuin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:17 pm

Congratulations, nice find Buehler.
It''s not easy to locate boats powered by the Buick 215 or 215's alone. Gray Marine built engines called the Fireball V8A 160 and the Fireball V8A 136 based on the 215 cubic inch Buick, although I don't believe they were built with the Nicson aluminum exhaust manifolds like yours.
I'm sure many of us would enjoy seeing additional photographs of your project.

Regards,
Gene
Last edited by 283cuin on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:53 am

Yeah, this was back when engines were engines you were meant to work on. Notice they pressed the fire'n order on the valve cover. You ain't gunna see that in today's motors.

Return to “Boat Power”