Biscayne-power?

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Joris

Biscayne-power?

Post by Joris »

I can get a 3.7L Mercruiser (180hp) in very good condition really cheap. Anyone out there knows if this is something worth considering for the Biscayne 18'?

Joris

Caber-Feidh

Re: Biscayne-power?

Post by Caber-Feidh »

Assuming you mean the "470" engine -- Well, I guess every boat needs an anchor.
Most have ropes on them, yours would have a fuel line.

I hate that engine with a passion... in case it wasn't obvious.
Mercury decided they would design an engine -- Well, there is the first problem. Since it's an all-merc design parts are unholy-expencive. They are getting hard to find in some cases.

charging system-garbage!! Somehow they decided it would be a good idea to extract the charging system off an outboard, and hang it on an inboard. And that voltage regulator! What could possibly ever made that look like a good idea??!?!?!? Good grief, haven't they heard of heat sinks? water cooling it was just over-engineering to the point of inducing failure. (600$ to replace a coil and reg a few years ago... parts alone) But it's cool when they torch-off, most die in a spectacular way that reminds me a bit of my wife's cooking when we first met... smoke, bluster, furry, and heartburn.

cooling system-inadequate And with that funky circ pump design, when the seals leak (and it will leak) first it leaks all over the bilge, then it fills the crankcase with coolant. Not the best situation for bearing longevity. The impeller is borderline, typically flow is too low under low rpm conditions Replacing either the impeller plate, or seals is a lesson in colloquial expressive language.

Who came up with the Siamese cylinders, and that bizarre deckless block? Sorta looks like someone forgot something... And yes, leaking head gaskets are a common occurrence. Well, at least you get torque wrench practice changing them.

cracks in web around main journals-how sweet is that?

doing a valve job leaves you hunting for the right length push rods.

Engine is mercury's attempt to take a half a ford 460, and see just how badly they could jack the design up. At least they got the idea of an in-house inboard out of their system.

I hate that engine

/rant
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

Joris

Post by Joris »

I ran into a few stories about these engines and quickly decided it wasn't the right choice for me and that the price problably reflects it's reputation :D

Thanks for the rant though, it's always funny to hear someone talk about an engine when it nearly drove them crazy :mrgreen:

Joris

Caber-Feidh

Post by Caber-Feidh »

The problem seems to be I just never do learn from experience. The next time one comes along, I will tell myself "THIS one will be better" then repeat all the problems over, and over.
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

kens

Post by kens »

I have a forum thread that says that engine works out OK.
They say get a aluminum head to match the aluminum block expansion thermal tolerances
then get a kit to use a common alternator,
and a external water pump,,,,all bolt on stuff, and they say it holds up well.

I been tempted to try this out, but have not taken the plunge just yet
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

Return to “Boat Power”