Weight for a Mercury D Racing engine

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Number19

Weight for a Mercury D Racing engine

Post by Number19 »

I just received my plans for the 13' D runabout and continue to do my homework for an engine.

After much discussion, what I'm currently considering is the following: 1996 Merc 500 powerhead + 402 XS Tower + 55H gearfoot. I believe this engine is APBA approved for the D Class.

What I can't find is the information to give me an estimate on the weight. It should weigh considerably less than 175 lbs, but can anyone give me a better estimate?

Thanks.

Mike Sea

Re: Weight for a Mercury D Racing engine

Post by Mike Sea »

I am not sure of the weight of the motor you mentioned but my guess is it should weigh in the 100 to 110 lb range. A non electric Mark 55 motor would weigh about 120 to 130 lbs. I have a stock KG 9 and it weighs 110 lbs. I hope this helps.

Number19

Re: Weight for a Mercury D Racing engine

Post by Number19 »

Thanks for your reply. You're consistent with other replies I've gotten. I did get one reply from an individual who was able to give me a very detailed breakdown of individual parts and if I build an engine from different models and years, I should be able to get in the vicinity of 110 lbs to 115 lbs. What I'm looking at is building me an engine that will be about 123 lbs. You know your engines.

Return to “Boat Power”