Seized up Blue Stripe Merc 40hp looking for a Powerhead

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Retroman
Location: Great South Bay, Long Island, NY. Building a Zip/Flying Saucer

Seized up Blue Stripe Merc 40hp looking for a Powerhead

Post by Retroman » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:36 pm

It was a freebee, Short shaft. Maybe be worth doing a powerhead swap. Any advice or tips are great;y appreciated.
Thanks ,
Jim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8klwUemmYm4
RetroMan
Built A Zip/Flying Saucer. I do my boating on South Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY
Documenting my build on YouTube @ http://www.youtube.com/SuperUnknownMC

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Re: Seized up Blue Stripe Merc 40hp looking for a Powerhead

Post by Trackhappy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:42 pm

I guess pull her down and see what the inside is like. Going on the outside I don't fancy your chances, but you just never know. Cover the bolts in some kind of penetrating oil and leave them for a while before you try undoing anything. If you got her freed up, the hard part is cleaning up and stopping further corrosion I guess.
Best of luck with it and let us know how you progress.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Do you need an anchor? :) kinda Pandoras Box, lots of WD40 or penetrating oil into cylinders as you have done and some patience. If you can get it into neutral does the output shaft turn or is bottom end seized too?
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

galamb

Post by galamb » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:18 pm

That's a 1973 model.

I work on Merc's, mostly 25 horse and under. Over the years they have built some fine motors and more than a few are worth rehabbing.

In my opinion, given what I see, this is definitely NOT one of them.

It certainly looks like it has spent time at the bottom. Your issues would be as follows:

this has a phasemaker ignition (predated the thunderbolt) - none of it's available and given the look of the powerhead, the components are probably corroded/toast.

while you can get pistons and rings for this they go for 200 bucks each - if both need replacing you would looking at 400 bucks for a motor, that running, might bring 300 bucks - and that's if you could get everything else working ($$$).

In 1974 they redesigned a good chunk of this model, so if you are looking for a "direct" bolt on powerhead you would have to find a 1971/72/73 model.

Could it be restored? Yes. Is it worth the cost - no, not unless say it was Dad's motor and you had a sentimental connection.

If it was a 1954 model then you could say it's vintage. Instead it's just an old motor that is not worth trying to fix. If I had got this motor for nothing I would strip it down, figure out what is still functional, and sell off what is. The rest would go to the scrap yard - aluminum is well priced currently.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

matt167

Post by matt167 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Agreed. The 402 was kind of an offbeat from what Mercury was good at, at the time which was 4 and 6cyls. I think it was their first attempt at a 2cyl 40hp. I think that's what the 2 meant in 402. Hard to get a lot for, not really serviceable nowadays and not valuable either

galamb

Post by galamb » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:36 pm

If this was Merc's 4 cylinder 40 I would try and restore it - but yes, as a twin it was one of those orphan's that never really found a home..
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Retroman
Location: Great South Bay, Long Island, NY. Building a Zip/Flying Saucer

Post by Retroman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:17 pm

Thanks for the advice. I hear what your saying, Great info thanks so much. I have 2 markk 55's. I love the belt driven magnetos, thwe 4 cylinders, and the what they run so well at idle and at WOT. im gonna pull the LU and play with the powerhead a bit, see what happens.
Thanks again.
Jim
RetroMan
Built A Zip/Flying Saucer. I do my boating on South Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY
Documenting my build on YouTube @ http://www.youtube.com/SuperUnknownMC

Return to “Boat Power”