Intake Strainers

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Roberta

Intake Strainers

Postby Roberta » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:22 pm

I'll be needing to get an intake strainer for the suction line on the Torpedo soon. I've been looking at the Vetus 330 series and the Perko. I'll be mounting it above the water line and was wondering if anyone was familiar with the Vetus. Also, is it necessary to prime the strainers prior to firing up the engine once in the lake. I am installing a flushing T in the system along with ball valves to isolate the bottom pick up and to shut off the flusing T.

Roberta :D :?:
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Re: Intake Strainers

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:35 pm

Roberta

I filled the bowl on the strainer first. I used a thing that looks like a high pressure plunger over the intake to land fire the engine. After that I've never primed the system. But, I don't drain the system in winter. It wasn't 6 deg. F. here today. It is going into the low 20's at night the next few nights. I put a heater in the boat if I'm worried.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Thanks, Bill!! That's what I was thinking, too. We keep the hangar heated to at least 40 deg. F all winter. Most of the time I'm out there doing something so it gets bumped up to 63 a lot. I figure I would prime it for the land start and use the flushing tee to provide the water from a hose. The setup I bought has a strainer that can be used to draw in anti freeze from a bucket or it could be used for an emergency bilge pump.

Roberta :D :D :D

kens

Postby kens » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:23 pm

I think the most important part hasnt been mentioned yet,
the seacock.
you should be able to shut off the intake hole-in-the-bottom.

I have a y-valve inline my raw water intake. this allows me to run raw water regular intake; or by swinging the y-valve I can connect garden hose to the intake, or, use that line as a crash pump sucking up bilge water.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:40 pm

I guess I forgot to mention I am putting a seacock right above the intake scoop. The flush T will be between the seacock and the suction strainer.

Roberta :D :D

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:47 pm

I was looking at seacocks and I ran across this article that mentions to never use an external raw water strainer and it freaked me out cause guess what.. I have exactly that strainer on the Ski Boat. Does this only matter for boats left in the water? I will be trailing my boat so I can inspect and clean this regularly. Even then I imagine junk can still be sucked up to plug the cooling passages...Anyone running RAW water with no strainer or just an external one, love it hate it? Not sure I have that much room for an internal strainer...

I see that Jim has the Perko and Roberta has the Vetus 330 Internal strainer here

Perko $241

Vetus 330 $98

Nice article on rebuilding the Perko Strainer
Attachments
strainer.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

kens

Postby kens » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:05 am

Millhouse,
I have the outside strainer you pictured, with no strainer at all inside. After 10years I never had a problem. (with the strainer)

I HAVE run into weedlines (offshore) and grass (in skinny water) having the stuff get wrapped up in the shaft/prop to the point I could feel it at the helm. I've had to go thru a series of backing down, goosing throttle, and so forth to throw the junk off the prop. But, with all this, I never overheated, starved engine for water, nor problem with the strainer itself.
I have seen my prop get bad vibes, aerate, slip, and so on, but never had the intake screen you showed get plugged up.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:23 am

I think the one you show is standard equipment. I have one and also the inside strainer. The outer one is very course and inner a finer strainer. I wouldn't run without either. I would rather clean the strainers than plug up the engine and heat exchangers.

Roberta

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks Roberta and Ken for your insights.

Looks like there is no right answer for everyone :D
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:31 am

Another item we've added is a check valve installed on the sea strainer outlet port. This keeps the cam-drive water pump's inlet hose from losing water. With water behind the inlet and outlet ports, the pump is always primed and reduces the risk of running a dry pump.

Bronze Check Valves

Sea Strainers

Here's what were running in the HOT ROD :

Dry Dock Testing

Here's something else to look out for.
    You may not have adequate water supply if you run from a hose. We run a line from our safety seacock to a 20 gallon drum which is filled by one (or two) garden hose(s). This allows us to monitor the water level while the engine is running. If you look at this photo, we're almost out of water at idle. Click the image to see the video...

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com
Glen-L Hot Rod build thread
Kane Custom Boats YouTube channel
Glen-L Boat Video Directory

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:39 am

This is the strainer that I have in the Tahoe 1". https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... ess+Basket Only one time after the Gathering did I find anything in the basket. The intake strainer seems to do the job.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks Paul and Bill.

Paul your hose routing is superb! I have recently added that same thermostat. Are those all AN fittings?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

kens

Postby kens » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:06 pm

I dont have a inside strainer, but I did install a 3-way valve between engine and intake.
I swing the valve to use raw water intake, or, garden hose flush or (crash pump out the bilge).

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:27 am

I am using the Vetus strainer with great success. Easy to monitor for debris and clean. I sized it at 1-1/4" for the engine requirements and also use a 1-1/2" through hull intake strainer pickup. I have a closed cooling system with three heat exchangers and feel it is important to protect the heat exchangers from clogging and prevent damage to the seawater impellor. A flushing T is also in my system with shut off and a seawater shutoff cock. Four seasons so far and no problems.

Roberta
Attachments
Strainer 002.JPG
bottom stuff 005.JPG
bottom stuff 004.JPG
intake piping 001.JPG
hatch 002.JPG

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:15 am

Roberta do you have some details and pics on your heat exchangers? I am probably going to to go raw water but am interested what it would take to do closed cooling. Someone gave me an old heat exchanger for free and don't know if it's with all the extra Plumbing and extra pump to install it.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Return to “Boat Power”