Engine size for Monte Carlo

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

wingridr

Engine size for Monte Carlo

Postby wingridr » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Hey all,

I am in the planning and supply gathering phase of the building of my Monte Carlo. Plan is to shorten it about a foot,(to fit in where it will be built), and use white oak for framework. We have the white oak, and have copied the plans to Mylar sheeting.

I am starting to figure out what engine I should have for the boat. From the little bit I have found on them, most seem to opt for a big block. I have only found a couple that have a small block, one of which was a high hp engine.

I would assume that being the boat is a little bigger, that it might require a bit more horsepower. What I don't really know is what hp range I should really shoot for. I am partial to Mopar, and decided that I would power my boat with a Mopar engine...I am sure running a different brand might be a little cheaper, but would like to stick with my original plan.

So, can anyone shed any light on how much power we would need to have fun in our boat? We plan on making this boat kind of an all around boat...cruising, some light skiing or tubing, and top out right around that 50 mph if we want to go fast.

Thanks for any help! :D

jenko

Re: Engine size for Monte Carlo

Postby jenko » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:23 pm

go for a 440 or 410 sb mopar easy get 400 hp with 500 ft/lb torqe plenty of grunt . only talking 100 lbs heavier than chev and ford but the chevy 350sb would be a much smaller package with easier to get marinizing parts and could easily be made to produce 400hp

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:09 pm

Sounds like you would really want an early HEMI, say a 1958 392/390 HP with Fuel Injection!
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

kens

Postby kens » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:53 pm

The Monte Carlo does well with a big block.
it won't care if it is a Chevy, Olds, Fomoco, or, Mopar for that matter.
If you like mopar, then I suppose the 440 is easiest to get parts for.
Go for it. and forward lots of pictures.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

wingridr

Postby wingridr » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:07 pm

Thanks for the replies! I would love an early Hemi, but from what I hear, parts are getting very hard to find for them. I had even considered a "new" Hemi, but figured marinizing one would be a little tougher.

The 440 has always been at the higher end of my list...a fella that I have made contact with has said he has a great recipe for 475 hp, and runs good on ethanol gas...which is about all we have here in Minnesota.

The other one I was considering was a 413, but figure those are getting tougher to find parts for, much like the early Hemi's.

Pictures will be taken...figure the engine will be rebuilt before going in the boat. Maybe they will get done being built at the same time! :)

Brian

Postby Brian » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:12 pm

Not sure where you are since this last post, but you sound exactly like me when I was selecting an engine! I went through everything, and I mean everything. Ford 427, converted Aston Martin BMW Marine, vintage Scripps, marinized muscle car, aircraft, "original", and many others (including electric) Good sense (not mine) finally prevailed and I went with a basic ski boat motor. It is an Ilmor 6.2L with a 12 deg ZF 63A trans. It's rated at 430HP, which is a bit much perhaps, but my boat will live at 6,200', so there is a 20% power reduction. Also, I've stretched mine to 28'. This is a wonderful engine/trans unit, which you will find barely fits. If it wasn't for the angle trans, it wouldn't. I opted for this because it is going to be reliable, quiet, long-lasting, and serviceable anywhere (same engine as in Mastercraft ski boats). I bought it early, so I could make sure of the measurements for my shaft angle, etc.

I've had decades of experience with marine engines, and have converted a few auto engines. For racing and hot rodding, they're great. Vintage engines are also cool, but problematic (not to mention heavy and expensive). With all the work I'm putting into this boat, I just want to turn the key and have it run.

Brian

Postby Brian » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:17 pm

Oh, on a restored, marinized, Hemi. I went deep into this, because I'm an old ski racer and loved the idea. But as you say, parts are difficult, and it's hard to find a Hemi shop and even harder to find one that knows anything about boats anymore. It's one thing to hook a Hemi up to a V-drive, but something completely different to try to mate one to a marine trans. In fact, I never did find an adapter. One shop confidently announced he could make an adapter, but that scared me off and was the end of my Hemi dreams. Thank goodness!

At the end of the day, almost no one is going to care what's under the hatch. But they will care a lot if you can't go boating or get stuck out on the lake.

Return to “Boat Power”