Auto conversion or Marine package?

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Dave Grason

Auto conversion or Marine package?

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:09 am

I know that I'm dreaming ahead at this stage because I am working on the Zip still. But, I've always been one to start gathering the pieces together for future projects too. So, right now, I'm satisfying my curiosity.

How much should I figure to spend on powering a straight shaft inboard boat with a Small Block Chevrolet?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

psychobilly

Re: Auto conversion or Marine package?

Postby psychobilly » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:02 pm

Here's motor, steering, trailer and more for 1795.00

If you shop around you can find something like this close. Looks like the tranny might require a lil work but it's a steal.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:31 pm

Where? Where?

There's no link.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:45 pm

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/5392101884.html

Duhhhhhh it's late here Dave. Sorry

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:38 pm

That is a good deal! I wish I could make a move now. :(

gap998

Postby gap998 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:55 pm

Ha ha - Glad I'm not the only one! - Haven't even started my Zip yet and I'm planning boats 3 & 4!

Same dilemma here; new engine packages require financing through the sale of internal organs on this side of the pond. So I've been looking at converting Auto engines with freshwater cooling - 2 litre Peugeot/Citroen HDi Turbo-diesel for boat #2 (I've owned two cars running these and they are bullet-proof & run forever), and Jaguar V8 or twin 2 litre diesel for #3 & #4.

Buying a donor boat would probably be cheaper in the end, even with a re-power exchange, but I like the idea of an unusual drive-train and there is a UK company that supplies marine parts for the earlier versions of both engines so should have help at hand.

At the moment, one of my cars has blown it's air-con, & recent high winds have blown part of the roof off my house, so dreaming is all I can afford to do for now!
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Return to “Boat Power”