Riviera Ford 351W powered

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

JoeTapp

Riviera Ford 351W powered

Post by JoeTapp » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:07 pm

I am finishing up my Riviera. Started in 2012 and spend about an hour a day on it. It is powered by a fuel injected, micro processor controlled Ford 351W with 1: velvet drive. The hardest part was finding a bell housing for the Ford. They have not been made for around 30 years!

If anyone has installed a similar engine, I have a few questions. I am using two Centek inline mufflers. Is there any other options. Do I have to put risers on them? Can I downsize the 3" outlets to 2.25" without creating too much back pressure? From the keel, how high should the center of the exhausts be?
Attachments
100_3551.JPG
100_0417.JPG
boat engine pics 005.JPG

mrintense

Re: Riviera Ford 351W powered

Post by mrintense » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:49 pm

Nice!.

Do you have an recent pictures?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:07 pm

You want the risers. Make the exhaust large.
I' have a 454 and 4" exhaust. The centek mufflers are good.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

JoeTapp

Post by JoeTapp » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. I assume I need the risers before the mufflers. Is that correct? I will run 3" hose all the way to the transcom. Still need to know if there is some way to determine where to put the holes in the transom without so much guessing from pictures or floating the boat to determine the waterline. I am adding a few more pictures.
Attachments
2016 GENERAL PICTURES 103.jpg
2016 GENERAL PICTURES 105.jpg
2016 GENERAL PICTURES 102.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:14 pm

Joe

My experience is that the design waterlines a pretty damn good. I'd put the exhaust bottom right at the waterline. If you get a little water in, that 351W will blow it right out. Rivieras often have Big Blocks. I think that is mostly overkill. I'd run the big exhaust all the way.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:35 pm

It looks like you have headers. Is it a wet exhaust?
Do you have a better picture of your exhaust manifold?
Bill is correct
Put the bottom of the exhaust at the top of the design waterline. If you put the waterline where Glen designed it you will be perfect. I did my waterline when the hull was upside down and was amazed that it was dead on when I put the boat in the water.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

JoeTapp

Post by JoeTapp » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:47 am

Thank you for your replies. I have attached more pictures. I also found the G L Plans I squirreled away. The first picture I sent of the exhaust was the first pass. It has been returned for credit to Summit Racing. I then went with a 3"wet exhaust. The exhaust ports seem to be on the center line of the stringers with the bottom of the port slightly below that. I will be using a Victoria Prop from Canada. They are really easy to work with and the exchange rate is good. They calculated everything I need for the prop and even came up with a speed of 43MPH. I used Glen-L wherever possible. Anther good vendor is Marine Engines in Hollister MA for engine mounts and heat exchanger.

I will be using the FAST system for fuel injection also from Summit Racing.

For what it is worth, 3" exhaust is rated to 160HP which is just about right for half my engine. I do have question re how much raw water I should be pumping through the heat exchanger and exhaust system. It is a closed system for the engine itself. Any ideas?
Attachments
boat engine 004.JPG
boat engine 003.JPG
boat engine 002.JPG

slug

Post by slug » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:06 pm

I'm running a 351 Windsor in my Gentry and am just now installing the exhaust. I've found 3"stainless less than half the cost of rubber. Also using 3" stainless elbows to get over to the side. No mufflers as of now (budget) but if needed no problem to add them later.
Doug

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:38 pm

What kind of sea water pump do you have? You will need a lot of water to cool thru your heat exchanger. It's amazing the amount of H2O that comes out the exhaust. The heat exchangers work very well. Just feel the water coming out the exhaust and you will understand how much heat is being taken out of the engine.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

jenko

Post by jenko » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:44 pm

the 351 will need 16 gallons a minute @ 3000rpm flowing through the heat exchanger and exhaust to keep it cool or 30 gallons a minute at full revs. looking at the chart twin 3'' exhaust is good for 679hp. but subtracting 30 gallons /minute or 4 cubic ft /minute of water only alters the hp the exhaust is capable of by 1.8hp
hope this helps with calculating exhaust size
I went with2 x 2 5/8'' exhaust inner diam, 1/8'' wall for my jag engine in the riviera
Attachments
exhaust diam-flow.jpg
Last edited by jenko on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:36 pm

Joe
"How much water to pump through the heat exchanger" I had the same question when converting the Lexus V8 for use in the Monaco. I could not find any info. If the flow rate is too high there is insufficient time for heat transfer, likewise too little flow will not be insufficient to remove the engine heat. My raw water pump pumps the water through the transmission cooler then engine heat exchanger then exhaust manifolds, pretty conventional. The velvet drive installation manual recommends 10 to 20 US gallons/minute flow through the transmission cooler. As my raw water pump pushes about 13 gals/minute at max output (1750 pump RPM and 5000 engine RPM) that was a good place to start. The heat exchanger I used is for a big block and an overkill for the Lexus (4 litres) but at the time it was better to be too big than too small. Engine coolant temps are normal at any engine speed. Hope this helps a bit.
ozzieboat

Return to “Boat Power”