Outboard Steering Cable

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Mark-NJ

Outboard Steering Cable

Post by Mark-NJ » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:26 pm

Hey all,

I'm not sure where to post this question, but this forum seems like the "most nearly correct place", I suppose.

I'm building a Ski-Tow, and will power it [for now, anyway] with my old, fully-restored '53 Evinrude. It's only a 15HP SuperFastwin, but it will scoot this boat along, just fine. I'm not looking for a "performance beast", but I'm open to a larger engine someday. Maybe a early '60s Evinrude Lark or something.

Anyway....my question: I'm doing this boat with a drum & rope-cable steering system. Sure, lots of people will call that "obsolete" or even "unsafe", but a.) I have the steering drum / shaft / housing already and b.) as long as the components are in good shape and the springs are tensioned right, it's really not a big deal. Teleflex someday? Perhaps. But for now, it will be a drum & cable.

That said, the cable is what I'm pondering. Every old vintage boat uses 3/16" vinyl-coverd galvanized steel 7x19 cable.......but for not a lot more, I can get the same size cable in 305SS (no vinyl sheething). I would think it would run through the pulleys easier, and it won't rust.

But then I got to thinking: Why not use Dyneema / Amsteel rigging rope? It's a full 12-strand braid, it's stronger than steel, has extremely-low stretch characteristics, easy to work with, comes in colors, won't rust, it's abrasion resistant, and will run around a pulley with less drag than galv or ss. This stuff is used for mast stays on racing sailboats to reduce weight. I guess you could say, "Better living through modern chemistry!!" http://www.go2marine.com/product/38345F ... -rope.html

- Galv is traditional,
- 305SS won't ever rust,
- Dyneema line seems like a modern "best of all worlds".

Thoughts?

Bill Edmundson

Re: Outboard Steering Cable

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:05 am

I haven't seen this product in use. Sailboat standing rigging is under a lot of load. It may work well. I would use a little larger tensioning spring though in your case.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:44 pm

There's clearly more to "correct application" than a simple comparison of tensile strengths, but this is a heck of a video...

I'm thinking if this line is that good, why not give it a try? Certainly it will roll through pulleys easier than steel [galv or ss]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDJ3QjvRZT0

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:43 pm

Mark

I'm only thinking about the stretch aspect, not strength. I'm sure that it is strong enough.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:54 pm

I agree. But the specsheet shows stretch as .49% @ 10% of breaking, which would be somewhere in the 490 - 540 lbs range. (3/16" has a breaking strength between 4,900 lbs. and 5,400 lbs., based on the spec, shown here:
http://www.go2marine.com/docs/mfr/samson/38345F.pdf )

Although I don't know what the tension of those 2 little springs is, there's no way it's anywhere close to 490 - 540 lbs.....most likely closer to 25 -50 pounds, maybe. Best I can guess, stretch would be negligible in this application.

There may be some creep (there always is), but once tension is set, I don't think it matters

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:32 am

I've used fishing line made with dyneema or its cousins for years. The stuff just doesn't stretch. I would think if it's good enough for sail rigging it would be ok for your application. How does it compare on price? Will you use that same steering system if you upgrade your motor in the future? I would think if you ever upgrade you'll need a more modern steering system. Maybe spending extra now is not necessary from a longevity standpoint.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

rleete

Post by rleete » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:36 am

I'd be willing to bet that the UV resistance is very low. Especially given that it doesn't mention it anywhere.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:45 am

Mark's other link says that it is UV Stabilized.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:22 pm

I'm leaning hard towards giving this stuff a try! Of course, I'm still quite a ways off from this part of the project.

Thanks for the opinions.

As for a future engine upgrade, who's to say? If I found something appropriate on craigslist, I sure wouldn't mind rebuilding another engine! This last one was a great deal of fun...and there was a lot of satisfaction when it fired up! Still, I'm never going to mount a BIG engine; largest would most likely be a 35-40, and I think rope steering would be fine.

BillW

Post by BillW » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:34 pm

Mark, cable & pulley steering is perfectly acceptable and, in fact, is probably the only "period-correct" system for a "53 Evinrude.

It will work smoothly, and be acceptable for any size motor you will put on that boat, if installed correctly. This means, in addition
to good alignment, the pulleys and cable end attachment fittings must be installed with bolts thru the boat structure, not screws.
Bill

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:30 am

Oh, yeah....bolts, not screws. That I know!

Found some really cool pulleys to route the rope through the carlings. This should give a very "finished" look! Not cheap, but the budget is pretty much in the tank, so "why not?", right?

http://www.atlanticriggingsupply.com/rohopu.html

Return to “Boat Power”