Outboard recommendations?

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Adrock1

Outboard recommendations?

Postby Adrock1 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:29 pm

So I'm quite a ways away from buying an outboard for my Overniter project but as usual I'm planning well in advance. I've started the process of outboard shopping and I'm already suffering from paralysis by analysis. I need some input from more experienced folks.

The Overniter takes up to a 100hp. I want to stay close to that so I'm shopping for something in the 85-100hp range. I might entertain a 70 if it's too good a deal to pass up but I'm not confident that will give the performance I want. I anticipate the boat being frequently loaded with 2-4 adults and likely a cooler of refreshments. And I know I'm already building her a tad heavy.

Anyway a new motor is out. Don't have the budget for it. Plus, most if not all the modern motors are heavy pigs. Not interested. So I'm looking almost exclusively at used 2 strokes. But I just don't know what to do.

I see lots of stuff on craigslist but it all appears to be of questionable condition. I'm having a real hard time imagining I would drop roughly $3000-4000 on a motor from an unknown source. Seems risky.

I've also considered going with an outfit like AFA Marine (www.smalloutboards.com). They seem like a reputable outfit and appear to have reasonably priced used options but then I'd be buying something site unseen. Plus most of the used outboards in Florida have seen saltwater use and have a lot of hours. Again seems risky.

Another though that crossed my mind was to just get an old junk motor and fix it up. What if I could find an appropriately sized motor, even a blown up motor for really cheap. Like a couple hundred bucks. How hard would it be to put in a quality rebuilt power head and maybe even a fresh lower unit if necessary and give it all a fresh paint job? Seems like that would be pretty doable for $3-4000 and the result would be a good reliable motor no?

What have you all done? What are your experiences? Can you recommend a good reputable source for used motors in my price range? Thoughts?

hoodman

Re: Outboard recommendations?

Postby hoodman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:57 pm

If you can stomach 4500 I have seen "remanufactured" motors on eBay for around that price.

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:36 am

That's a bit more than I'd prefer to spend but not out of the question. One of the things I'm having trouble with is determining which rebuilders/dealers are really reputable and do good work. Random Google searches will yield lots of results but reviews are often hard to find.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:45 am

If you buy a used one for cheap see if you can check the compression. If it is good then any other issues can likely be taken care of. You can have a local marine mechanic go through it at that point.

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:24 am

That's definetly one of the options I'm considering Matt. I need to learn how to check compression myself. Anyone know what's required to do that and how expensive the tools are?

Here is an example of what I'm considering as well:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/5983629199.html

This is a 1989 90hp Johnson. Supposedly it has a good foot but blown motor. If I could get this at $300-$400 and buy a new power head with a 1 year warranty for $2,000-$2,500 it seems I end up with a pretty fresh motor for a good price overall and not much risk taken. Is that a crazy idea? In the mean time while I save up for a powerhead I could cleanin up and repainting the motor, getting it fitted to the boat, finding controls etc.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:30 am

Lots of 20 year old cheap bass boats out there. You have the luxury of running the motor on the boat, on the lake. All Outboards run great in a tub of water, WOT under load is the real test.

So you buy the whole bass boat rig being mindful too of the trailer it's on because you'll need one of those too. Salvage any rigging off the boat and then sell the hull or haul it to the dump.

Good old 2 stroke 90hp sounds like a good fit for your boat, their all under 300 lbs.

Good luck,
Matt B

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:34 am

You're in it for about $3000 at that point plus the installation of the rebuilt parts (which could be quite expensive). If you are willing to part with $3000+ I think you can find a much nicer/newer running motor. I believe in order to check compression you just need to remove each spark plug and thread in a gauge. I've never done it though. If I was buying and older motor swapping in new spark plugs is probably the first thing I would do anyways.

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:15 am

I have a 1961 Mercury 700 for sale right now.
70HP, 2-stroke 'power tower'

It's complete with lower and even an old prop.

I bought it for just the reason you stated--fix it up. 2-strokes are pretty bullet proof, new decals are available on Ebay, the motors are just beautiful all white, so it seemed like fun project. I just never got around to it.

It has no controls. It was stored in a garage when I bought it. It turns (not seized). Plug wires are dried out and need replaced.

That's what I know about it. Its been sitting on a stand in my garage for a couple years now.

I picked up a front cowl/cover on Ebay. It's not correct but it fits. The Merc 700 cover in that vintage never hit the market while I was looking so I got the Mark78A version.

I have $200 in it. Yours for the same.

This is what they look like with fresh paint:
http://classicmercuryoutboards.com/yaho ... 02_std.JPG
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:49 am

Andy,

I appreciate the offer and if you weren't in Kansas I might be tempted to take that off your hands. I imagine by the time I got it to SC I'd have considerably more than $200 in it. And I doubt I'd have the expertise and access to parts to complete a resto on one of those early 60's inline sixes. They are certainly gorgeous though. An old 70 is a little on the small side of what I want. I'd love to have one in the 100hp variety. I imagine buying one already restored would cost a fortune. Sure would look great on one of these classic wood boats though.

garrech

Postby garrech » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Andy Garrett wrote:
This is what they look like with fresh paint:
http://classicmercuryoutboards.com/yaho ... 02_std.JPG

Those do look very cool

Return to “Boat Power”