Good motor?

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

DrBryanJ

Good motor?

Postby DrBryanJ » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:30 am

This is available near me. I was planning on a 90 e-tec, but could get this much cheaper. I know nothing about outboards. Wondering if this is worth pursuing.
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/bpo/6027913261.html

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

vupilot

Re: Good motor?

Postby vupilot » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:33 pm

No controls, can get a little pricey to piece everything together later.

Oil injection means no mixing of gas is required at the gas pump. Be aware though, the injection on some could clog up and starve the motor of enough oil. Some people choose to disconnect the injection and just mix the gas and oil in the fuel tank the old fashion way. Just something to be aware of with oil injection to make sure it stays clean and flowing.

I like to see the motor run, if I cant its a deal breaker. Run it with the cover off and see if any water leaks around any cylinders. If so it may have a bad seal or it got too hot and warped or cracked. Shift into forward and reverse and check that it idles 1000 rpm or less so shifts are not abrubt which is rough on the gears. I also like to drain some lower unit oil and see if its milky white which indicates water is leaking in with the oil. Usually its freshly changed so you wont really know from just a short test run.

A compression tester can give you a quick check of the health of the cylinders. Each should be close to one another. If one cylinder is significantly lower than the others thats a deal breaker for me too.

Just a few things to think about when looking at a older used motor.

Ibrew2be

Postby Ibrew2be » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:07 pm

Bryan - The seller says the outboard is a 1995. So in addition to all of the good advice that vupilot suggests, you may also want to use a website such as this:

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/ ... 1137539327

to confirm that it really is a 1995.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:43 pm

I-eeee, don't know about that one. Im going to be the skeptic, that's a lot of money for a motor you can't take on the water and run at WOT. So it idles on a stand, big whup. If I'm spending $2500 I'm going to run it, and run it hard! For several miles, then follow up what kind of milky goo drains out of the lower unit.

I spend two years building the boat then I take vacation and drive 3 hours to the lake with my family. Go through all the work to actual get us and all our stuff on the water and the dang motor won't run right and it's a holiday weekend so no chance of getting anyone to work on it. No way, I'm spending the money to get a reliable motor. I know we all have different budgets for our builds but hoping for a good cheap motor is like using OSB plywood instead of marine grade.
It's asking for trouble.
Bryan, remember the day you were helping me launch my Squirt and I couldn't get it started because I'd been running it at 9,000ft elevation the previous week? That was a brand new motor, these things are finicky enough right out of the box.

Good luck Malahini brother,
Matt B

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:50 pm

Here's the NADA for it.
Attachments
IMG_2434.PNG

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:25 am

I appreciate everyone's advice. Not having any knowledge of outboards i'll let this one slip by. I'll keep looking for an e-tec.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:00 am

Bryan

I think you've made the right decision. That is mostly from the tone of the ad. Something is just not right. I wouldn't want to try to deal with him.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:17 am

The tone of the add might just be that he is from New Jersey! :D
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:28 pm

I imagine this is always a difficult thing to do. I keep going back and forth on whether to buy new or used.It's a lot of money to spend either way. Buying used is riskier and could potentially cost nearly as much as new. Buying new is more costly and will probably have to be financed (well at least for me). Kind of goes against my desire to come out of this build with a paid for boat. But new comes with a warranty and , well, it's new!!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Boat Power”