New to me Glen L Zip - what size motor to use?

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Scotty67

New to me Glen L Zip - what size motor to use?

Postby Scotty67 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:25 pm

Hey all, I've purchased a 1950's built Zip and the seller has a range of motors from 10hp to 40hp to choose from (Collector of classic motors)

He's suggesting an 18hp as I want to pleasure cruise and also fish occasionally. It looks like the right size, and I'd be concerned to hang a much bigger motor on it, but I'd love this boat to go fast on occasion. I cannot recall what the hull plate said it was rated for, possibly 40hp.

With a boat that's 60 years old (Looks like its in great shape, though its well painted) would I be foolish to put something like a 35 on it?
The owner claims it will plane on 10hp, though that seems awfully light powered in my mind.
The 18 he's got is really sharp with great compression but I'm wondering if that will be a bit lacking in the thrilling dept...or is that the wise option?

Regardless of motor size, I want to trailer with one in place, should I use a transom saver?

Also, were there different sizes and configurations for the Zip?

Thanks in advance

vupilot

Re: New to me Glen L Zip - what size motor to use?

Postby vupilot » Fri May 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Most people put 25-40 hp on the Zip. 40 being the recommended max. Some have gone as high as 50hp.

I would use a transom saver.

Id be shocked if a Zip would plane on 10hp. It would have to be built super light. 18 hp should plane but wont be super fast and likely spend a lot of time at wide open throttle. 25-40 would be my choice. 35 would be perfect and should top out at about 28-30mph. I get 31mph on 40hp. Check youtube for some videos of Zips with different power.

Scotty67

Postby Scotty67 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Thanks very much. I hope my posting here is ok as I am not a builder. And I didn't post this thread in time. I picked the 18hp.
I can go back and get a 25 if everyone here thinks it will take it
Here's a photo of the top of the transom. Approx 3/4" thick except for the motor plate. There are 2 small gussets down at the keel and 2 steel corner brackets in the top corner under the gunnels

Scotty67

Postby Scotty67 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:58 pm

Here's another couple of photos of the transom and motor. I looked at the 35's and they looked massive to the 18. The 25 looked big too

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Sat May 20, 2017 6:21 am

Your transom is thin and does not seem to be framed along the entire upper edge as indicated in the plans.
You also have no motor-well to tie your transom to other areas like a truss which would add strength.
You have no transom knee as indicated in the plans.
You have only two smallish gussets which seem to be 1/4" ply.
The wood and joints are six decades old and you don't know what stresses it may have been exposed to.

I would not hang anything heavier or more powerful than that 18HP motor on it. Besides, it looks awesome! Nice get!

And as stated earlier, be sure to use a transom saver while towing or the bouncing down the road will cause the weight of the engine to wrench the transom right off the hull.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sat May 20, 2017 7:29 am

Andy is correct, the transom was not built per the plans. Seems fine for the 18, you made a good choice, those are nice motors.

I also notice your trailer looks like it is a roller trailer. We have learned over time that wood boats do better in the long run with bunk type trailers as roller tend to put pressure on smaller points that may not have a lot of support around them. Does your boat have battens that run under the floor that are notched into the bottom of each frame? I cant tell for sure but it I dont see any notched into the bottom of the transom at first glance but they may be hidden in your pictures by the floor planks. Some pictures through the floor at the bottom of a frame would help. These would be about 3/4" thick and about 2" wide battens running on either side of the keel and notched into each frame from the transom to the frame bottom frame at the forward cockpit. Usually a bunk style trailer is set up so the bunks sit under one of these battens on each side for the best support while going down the road. I attached a photo of the battens and the transom as built per the plans for your reference. When built these boats are built upside down on a form so the pics are upside down.
Glen-L-Zip 027.jpg

Glen-L-Zip 028.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat May 20, 2017 8:12 am

Scottty

You may want to consider adding this. http://www.glen-l.com/modifying-the-mot ... all-boats/

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Sat May 20, 2017 12:04 pm

I'd like to see more pictures of this boat. I'm not sure I've examined one that old before.
Post a few more if you don't mind. Maybe we can help you get her dialed in for max enjoyment.

I echo what Chris said about the bunks as well. If you wish to stick with rollers, add as many as you can and make them as wide as you can in order to distribute the load and reduce pressure at any one point. A boat that light though--it is never a problem sliding onto a bunk. I just back my trailer down where the bow roller is just out of the water and float my boat right over the bunks--no sliding.
Andy Garrett

Scotty67

Postby Scotty67 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. I wasn't sure how my questions would be received as I'm not building building a boat. I am very grateful for your assistance and I am planning on restoring and possibly modifying this boat to be a real head turner.

I will take some more photos of the hull and framing for those interested. If there's anything specific, please let me know.

I believe there are battens, again will take better pics or confirm number and size.

I will be keeping the 18 but eventually be looking to go higher, with mods. I like the knee brace idea, was thinking of that already. The existing metal corner brackets are virtually tin. They look way too light.

And bunks; I think I'll be changing the rollers out for bunks.

Someone mentioned steering and screws. The idler pulleys are fastened with screws...will be looking to change that too

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat May 20, 2017 5:34 pm

:D Nice looking project.I used to have an 18 exactly like one you have(gave it to my nephew)Ran pretty good-only problem I encountered was seal under handle on fuel tank leaked so pressure tank leaked and motor didn't run so good.had lots of power when fixed.Seams those older motors had more power than the new ones do.My brother and sister waterskied behind an old johnson 10 hp years ago.I think that if you're going to get different motor later,I really like the merc 2 stroke 25.lots of speed yet pretty close to weight of ol'18.just my 2 scents :lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Scotty67

Postby Scotty67 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:15 pm

Andy Garrett wrote:I'd like to see more pictures of this boat. I'm not sure I've examined one that old before.
Post a few more if you don't mind. Maybe we can help you get her dialed in for max enjoyment.

More photos...would love to hear any information about this boat. The PO said the steering wheel indicated it was a kit, so I'm wondering if it came with all the materials cut to size, or if it was hardware and a set of plans. I'd be interested to know if this was one of the earliest kits for this boat.

Scotty67

Postby Scotty67 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:22 pm

Not a fan of these splits in the frames from fastening the floorboards. I'd like them to lift out, however I am wondering if they actually help stiffen the boat.

Someone mentioned battens...They are smaller than the ones shown in the photo example. Probably 3/4 x 3/4 or 3/4 x 1 at most, but yes they are there in the same locations as the example photos

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Thu May 25, 2017 8:01 am

I'm not sure that's a Zip.
Andy Garrett

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu May 25, 2017 8:13 am

I have to agree with Andy. The construction greatly differs from the Zip's of today. I somehow don't think they changed that much.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Thu May 25, 2017 8:19 am

Yea..., I'm pretty sure that is a different design.
A Zip has 4 frames including the transom. Your boat looks to have 6.
The first frame up under the deck is visibly different in contour profile than that of a Zip.
The batten design is very different as well.
I'm not sure if the double gusset upgrade was published for the Zip in the 50s either, but maybe--and the builder could have come up with that on their own I guess.
This would all explain the differences at the transom I mentioned before.

If this is in fact a Glen-L design, it might be a Nimrod or Ski Tow (just guessing based on size and hull shape).

If you could provide accurate measurements of your hull's length and beam (width at the widest point) maybe we can properly identify it.
Andy Garrett

Return to “Boat Power”